Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Microlimits Progress Quest: Post plans/updates/setbacks here. (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=66406)

ChipWrecked 02-09-2004 06:32 PM

1/2 short-handed Party

Oh, Yeah!!! I love this game. Playing the short-handed strategy in HPFAP will get you the money.

The players used to full-table will curse you and question your (to them) maniacal play; which makes it all the more fun. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

edit: While clearing a bonus at Empire, I've been sitting at .50/1 tables with three or four players. You have to jump tables a bit but it's worth it.

"Morrrris! Din-din!"

fluff 02-09-2004 07:12 PM

Re: Microlimits Progress Quest: Post plans/updates/setbacks here.

"Now my issue is I know I busted my butt building my bankroll to date and don't relish the thought of giving a ton of it back while trying to figure out if I can be profitable at $2/4. But to give it a fair shot, I know I need to expect a downswing. It's the old risk/reward balancing act."

Go play the 0.5/1 games at Pokerstars. Those games are about as hard if not a bit harder than Party 2/4 games. So you can learn tough tables at a cheaper price.

RcrdBoy 02-10-2004 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I play semi-regularly $4/$8 live and buy in for $100

That's a very short buy-in. Standard is about 25BB or $200 for 4/8.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it? I usually have $200 on me, but have never come close to rebuying. I've only played a handful of times so I know it doesn't even come close to giving me a real idea of how these tables play, but man they seem soft. Live has been so much more passive than on line.

In more than 30 hours of live play I haven't even seen a check raise and the hand selection is just as loose as Party .50/$1.00.

Either way, they compliment each other nicely.

Thanks for the feedback.

-Mike

jonahmavesin 02-10-2004 01:50 AM

Re: 1/2 short-handed Party

Is short-handed actually more profitable?

Is variance higher?

Doesn't the rake eat you up?

As for bankroll progress - I am up to 450BB at 1/2. When I hit 600, I'll move to 2/4 with 300BB. It will definitely be nice to get out of these damn 1/2s!

HajiShirazu 02-10-2004 11:03 PM

I started one of these 2 weeks ago, and just got won my 300bbs to move up to 1/2. I don't see what's wrong with the 1/2 full games at party. The pots aren't as big, but I have actually been taking some of them down with bluffs.

Trix 02-13-2004 11:12 AM

Started 4. of January 04.
Goal: 1 Month at each limit and then move to the next with sufficient bankroll.
Febuary sux, too short.

bisonbison 02-14-2004 02:41 PM

Well, I broke 300BB at .5/1 today since 1/1/2004, but I've earned the last 50 or so kinda ugly (see the Gigantic pot post) and tilt-like (calling raises w/gutshot straight draw and spiking my 4 outer). So I think I'll spend 1000 more hands in the land of .5/1 and see if I can't keep my VP$IP under 20, my PFR above 5 and my postflop chasing in check.

Brian 02-14-2004 02:52 PM

A Poker Odyssey

I am doing something similiar to this that JasonHoldEm (now JustJason) came up with. Both are very similiar in nature to the OIC. You can read more about it at: www.pokerodyssey.com .

Anyways, I am still going to 3 table 3/6 (have to pay the bills :P), but I changed my 4th table into a .5/1 table about a week ago. So far here are my stats (I may keep a journal like Jason if anyone would be interested in reading it):

Start Date: 2/02/04
Start Money: $0 [well, ok, a little bit so I could play [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]]

Current Date: 2/14/04
Current Money: $129

I am currently up 129bb, which means only about 20 more bb to go until I hit 1/2. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I started off really rocky, down about 60 bucks, and almost decided "f it, I am going back to 3/6". But, I want to get to 15/30 pretty soon, and this seems like the best way to do it, so I gritted my teeth and beared it. Eventually the dry streak settled and I am close to 1/2. I sure didn't think it'd take this long to get past .5/1, but it has been a long time since I played and I had to make a couple of strategy adjustments. Such as taking off the auto-raise button when I see AJo or 99 in EP, etc.

-Brian

bisonbison 02-27-2004 04:40 AM

Well, two weeks ago I said I'd met my bankroll goal for .5/1 but I wanted to spend another thousand hands or so tuning up before moving up. It turned out I hit a big downswing, 120BB, absolutely my most brutal time since I sort of got my feet under me last fall.

Well, steady play over the last 2000 hands has brought me back above 300BB at .5/1, and I think I'll start playing a table of .5/1 and a table of 1/2 (10 handed) at the same time to ease into the next level.

One thing I'm wondering about (I've played 150 hours, 8600 hands, so I know that the stats are very vague right now): my winrate is 3.6/100 hands, and my Standard Deviation seems huge at 18.6/100 hands. Is this a number I should worry about, does it just mean that I'm playing a lot of high variance hands, or is the sample size so small as to be meaningless?

I just feel like these large bankroll fluctuations are partly the games but a lot my own play. Is it too much?

AviD 02-27-2004 11:14 AM

I've been playing PokerStars for a little over a week now and the .5/1 are certainly alot tougher and tighter than Party. Bluffing and Semi-Bluffing seems to be quite profitable there, whereas at Party you get called alot more than you'd like.

Last night was the first aggressive table session I had at PS, and a strange table texture...same players but constant shifts from LAG to tight. Probably a good time to move out onto another table...but I did manage to win about 10BB in about 2 hours before dropping about 10BB on the 2+2 Party table! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]