Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   is a weak-tight personality good for No Limit? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=326071)

creedofhubris 08-30-2005 08:05 PM

Re: is a weak-tight personality good for No Limit?

[ QUOTE ]

whenever i try to 'play poker' it seems like im the one doing all the work, trying to balance everything while weak-tightie sits back waiting in between the LAGS to hit his hand when one of them pushes to hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

LAGs obviously make more on the high end, but there's little risk to a nitty style of play. Variance reduction.

The not going on tilt is a bonus: since your hands tend to be stronger when the money goes in, you don't get sucked out on as much (lot easier to catch up to a LAG's bottom 2 than to catch up to a nit's set/straight), and since you don't make big bluffs, people don't call you down thin and beat you. Not as many beats = not as much tilt.

BobboFitos 08-30-2005 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you find the holy grail here Kane, please let me know because I have the same problem. I play a lot of SH 5-10 and 10-20 and I play very LAG. My only observation is the following. I think that there is a close relationship for a lot of people between tilt and ego. This results in at least two problems. First, if you are 3-handed and you have dropped two buy-ins to inferior players, the temptation to try and "run the game over" can be overwhelming if you don't keep your ego in check.

Second, if you can't admit that other players are as good or better than you, you sometimes will find yourself in SH games without any weak players. In order to play SH effective, you have to be aggressive. Period. In a three or four handed game, if everyone is playing with optimal aggression, the opportunity for variance (and occasional big losses and tilt) is extremely high. Tilting against weak players is one thing. Tilting against strong players is something else entirely. I watched a regular high stakes player lose 8 buy-ins in an hour in a 25-50 game because he went on monkey tilt against players that really knew how to take advantage (i.e. players that weren't afraid to gamble).

I think that the answer in both cases is that you have to be willing to get up from the table the moment you start to lose control and you have to stay out of games that don't have at least one soft spot. SH no limit isn't a gunfight. You don't have to take on all comers.

[/ QUOTE ]
this is an excellent post rococo

Jason Strasser 08-30-2005 09:07 PM

Kane,

I play my A game much more frequently when I play short sessions. I tend to try to play 2-3 hours max these days when I'm really gearing up in the 10-20. It has also helped my mental health. I also dont really keep track if I'm up or down during a session--or try at least. When I get stacked I just reload and plow on.

The thing that is also important is that for SR, his tilting is part of an overall image which makes him very successful. I've seen others like Buddy go on monkeytilt, and although its obviously short term EV you will often see stuff and wonder 'so is xxx on tilt now?' and I feel like the best take advantage of this. SR's tilt may not cost him as much as you think.

-Jason

kagame 08-30-2005 11:17 PM

isnt TAG a cheap deodorant body spray?

sillyarms 08-31-2005 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
im like 23/12 now. im talking about bringing it down to 18/7

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not try 18/12?

hit_the_set 08-31-2005 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Funny, it seems you guys are under the impression that there are only two ways to play:weak-tight or loose aggressive. Isn't the answer to this post the one I recieved so many times on my early posts-"It Depends"?
I am trying to learn to play more loose aggressive but I think the table, your opponents, flop texture, etc, etc etc. determine what style will be most profitable. I'm a long way from this ability, but ideally I'd like to play all styles along the spectrum from tight to loose and passive to aggressive equally well, mixing them up and applying them to the situation at hand

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you manage to read the players on the table when you are multitabling?. I mean its tough to have in-game reads on players when you are playing more than 2 tables. You make one bad call and that can tilt you on your other tables also. I never try to play more than 2 tables. Its a strategy thats worked for me and leads to less tilty play.

I tilt when I play more than 3 tables. If you restrict yourselves to two tables, you can still keep your LAG style and not tilt.

KaneKungFu123 08-31-2005 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think my winrate would be as much as 100% higher if I didnt have tilt issues, by far my biggest leak.

Kane why dont you try alternating 18/7 and 23/12 each for a week each at a time. I think that maybe if you just suddenly switch to 18/7 likely your winrate will go up but this could be that you're still feeding off the fact that players in your game are used to your 12% pfr, and that if you stick with the 7% the winrate will gradually drop then level out.

Other possibilities, why not 8-table and on the 4 tables on the LHS you play 23/12 and the RHS you play 18/7. That way you'll probably play the lag tables a lot better, and there's a good chance villians multitabling with you will fail to calibrate your pfr range correctly - lots of their stats will be screwed up, your pfr should average at 9.5%, which is never going to be right.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a great post, so is roccos and a few others.

Lucky 08-31-2005 02:42 AM

As for the super high NL, that's where the nits absolutely get blown out. It 4 handed, and the spirits and Iveys just roll over the table, gambling like crazy with the rich fishy types and just flat muscling the nits. I think when it gets below 5 handed, the lags really take over.

punter11235 08-31-2005 06:35 AM

I am usually quite laggy. Today I played my first very tight session with a lot of folding to raises etc (18.5/9/3.5) and it was my biggest session ever. I didnt tilt one single hand and I harvested from my tilting opponents.
Fooled by randomness or not, now I believe that weak tight is right...

MTBlue 08-31-2005 07:26 AM

Punter if your playing against the same opponents as you did the day before then they will still be playing against the old punter. It's a constant move in between the two styles that is profitable. Three weeks from now you will be claiming lag is right b/c you played lag for you first session in forever and cleaned up.