Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Einstein versus...... (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=165587)

Lazymeatball 12-22-2004 01:07 PM

Re: Einstein versus......

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
With a bet limit of 10, that'd take like a year.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, is your question really - Could Einstein learn to play poker (given enough time) as some great players? If so, probably.

[/ QUOTE ]

He'd have the intelligence, but I don't think he'd have the discipline to spend a year on something as boring as poker.

ThaSaltCracka 12-22-2004 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am sure he would pick all that up quickly, but in one session, very doubtful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah... but this would be an incredibly long session, even if it was capped on every street on every hand.

Let's raise the stacks from 10,000 chips to 500,000.

With a bet limit of 10, that'd take like a year.

[/ QUOTE ]
So basically, you are asking if Einstein could learn the game, properly, in a year while solely playing and doing no studying? No, I don't think he could, regardless of how smart he was, he would constantly revert back to bad habits and misplays.

SomethingClever 12-22-2004 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well, I said "one" of the greatest minds of all time, and I don't think that can be argued.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, i think my post started off arguing whether Einstein was one of the greatest mind of all time, but then I stopped myself before saying something dumb. I don't blame you for the confusion.

Any way, if you want a real GreatesMindEver/Poker Player, I'll take Renes desCartes

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, some of those guys from the olden days were pretty smart, I tell ya.

Ever read any Neal Stephenson? Really, really, really intelligent historical characters figure prominently in a lot of his works, and he writes about them in a way that's pretty fascinating.

Guys like Newton, Hooke, Huygens and Leibniz, for example.

ThaSaltCracka 12-22-2004 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All of these clowns were Free Masons and in the Illuminati [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img], supposedly. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Were? They discovered the secret of immortality centuries ago and they're still alive and still rule the world from behind the curtain.

[/ QUOTE ]no, more precisely, this means they obviously had x-ray visions, and thus could read all the cards. duh!

Lazymeatball 12-22-2004 01:19 PM

Hooke? that microscope guy, I love him, he discovered the cell, didn't he? Another cool guy of historical interest, Carnot. he named a cycle after himself

SomethingClever 12-22-2004 01:26 PM

Yeah, there's this part in "Quicksilver" where Hooke and some other guy (a fictional character) are doing an experiment on how long they can keep a dog alive by using a bellows to make it breathe. Of course they have cut the dog open to observe its heart while they're doing this.

Pretty sick, but fascinating.

Lazymeatball 12-22-2004 01:29 PM

if I ever get around to a reading list, this guy is on the list (Stephenson).

SomethingClever 12-22-2004 01:31 PM

Read Cryptonomicon first. Then Snow Crash. Then the others.

jagoff 12-22-2004 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Greatest minds of all time? Newton, Socrates, Archimedes, DaVinci, Van Gogh, Shakespeare.

[/ QUOTE ]

MORONS!

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!! 12-22-2004 01:33 PM

Bruce lee could beat sklansky.