Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Ugly JJ line (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=392116)

wdeadwyler 12-06-2005 04:09 PM

Re: Ugly JJ line

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
raise flop, fold to a reraise or a bet on the turn.

if no bet on turn check behind, then check fold river unless you hit you straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, just fold flop, no reason to fight over this pot at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not so sure about this. There are several cards that could fall on the turn that help you, say the Ks for example. A flop raise could give you the chance to check behind on a helpful turn and get a free draw for your straight/ flush on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are we raising because we have backdoor redraws? That is just silly. The point is this is a marginal holding and we have been shown aggression, just drop it, you can find plenty of better spots. I play with you alot and I think contesting pots like this is a major leak of yours.

4_2_it 12-06-2005 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Dont u think min raise have better chance of achieving this goal than calling?

[/ QUOTE ]

Possibly. Villain will definitely call the raise, but what if he bets out the turn for a reasonable amount? I just hate to bloat the pot and make his turn bet $2-3 more.

edit - this post has elicited some excellent thoughts on pot control vs aggression. What should hero's line be in this situation? We all agree there is a time and place for both. Is this the time and place for aggression or pot control?

Isura 12-06-2005 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Possibly. Villain will definitely call the raise, but what if he bets out the turn for a reasonable amount? I just hate to bloat the pot and make his turn bet $2-3 more.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's a fold if he leads the turn after we raise.

wdeadwyler 12-06-2005 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know why we are raising this flop, whats the point, I can see maybe if villain has a history of donkbetting into us when we PFR, but in a vacuum this is a crystal clear fold.

rachelwxm 12-06-2005 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know why we are raising this flop, whats the point, I can see maybe if villain has a history of donkbetting into us when we PFR, but in a vacuum this is a crystal clear fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess it really depends on your image. When I play at this level, I raise PF alot and fire cb like crazy. So my opponent usually want to bet with alot of worse hands than JJ here. AK and 88 are all possible.

wdeadwyler 12-06-2005 04:31 PM

While I agree that villains incredibly weak flop lead looks suspicious, a raise that takes down the pot wins us what, 6xbb a portion of the time and loses us what, 12-14xbb the rest of the time, not to mention the times we check behind turn and a worse hand bluffs us out. I cant see how raising here can be profitable enough. Like I said, if you want to make a point to villain to stop donkbetting into us when we PFR, thats one thing, but in general this is a clear fold. At these stakes villains love to weak lead so we can get stubborn and reraise, dont oblige them.

rachelwxm 12-06-2005 04:48 PM

based on what do u assume I will lost 16bb here. Do you always raise, bet, bet with mid pair?
$2 max for me.

This is kind of spot different to different people. That's why 6 max is a game of adjustment. If you are tight and villian is tight, fold and move on. I do this when I sense my opponent is taking a stand. It works for me.

wdeadwyler 12-06-2005 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
based on what do u assume I will lost 16bb here. Do you always raise, bet, bet with mid pair?
$2 max for me.

This is kind of spot different to different people. That's why 6 max is a game of adjustment. If you are tight and villian is tight, fold and move on. I do this when I sense my opponent is taking a stand. It works for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

For your first part, there is 6xbb in pot, your raise is there for 2xbb to call+ another 8xbb=16xbb to raise pot. I assume that when you raise pot and are called you lose the hand a vast majority of the time, and when you raise pot and they opponent folds you win the pot a SUPER vast majority of the time.

As for the second part of your post, I have basically said as much in previous posts.

12-06-2005 07:10 PM

Looks fine to me.