Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   I got a B in a class I attended twice. (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=257642)

uw_madtown 05-23-2005 01:10 PM

Re: I got a B in a class I attended twice.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
a GPA around 3.5 is either good or average.

[/ QUOTE ]

really?

I am not american, so I dont have any friends who attend an american school outside of mine... which means I have no idea what is good/average at other schools.

[/ QUOTE ]

From my experience, 3.0 is average, 3.5 is good, 4.0 is awesome.

GoblinMason (Craig) 05-23-2005 01:12 PM

I don't know if this counts, but one of my classes had a lab section that meant once a week and I skipped everyone but the test and got an A for my lab grade.

-Craig

stinkypete 05-23-2005 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Sorta off topic, but, from what I've heard, Harvard and Brown are both very easy once you get in.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is true.

FishNChips 05-23-2005 01:14 PM

what class? My guesses (in order) are: PoliSci / Econ / History / English

My "got a good grade with minimal effort" story:
had a roomate in college who was a poli-sci major and insisted that his major was more difficult than my Bio major due to all the reading. I assured him he was full of crap and we agreed to take one lower level / intro class from the other persons major (filled electives for us anyhow). We took the classes together.
I attended 2 lectures, did 1/4 of the reading and got an A. He got a B in the class. When I asked him what he wrote his term paper about he told me that he disagreed with the professor's position on some hot topic of the day. I laughed, gave him my term paper (I got an A, he got a C) that was 4 pages shorter, had fewer references, less defense of my position -- my position just happened to agree with the professors.

There is a hole in a wall of that apartment as evidence of the event.

FishNChips

BreakfastBurrito 05-23-2005 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This hapened to me regularly in undergrad. But don't get in the habit if you plan on an advanced degree. It doesn't happen at all in Law School.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd have to second this. I went to about 25% of my classes overall in undergrad, took an assload of classes, finished in basically 5 semesters with a degree in Mechanical Engg with highest honors. And I went to Ga Tech, which is a pretty good engineering school. With those same habits, which I had been developing since elementary school, grad school was a disaster of epic proportions.

uw_madtown 05-23-2005 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what class? My guesses (in order) are: PoliSci / Econ / History / English

[/ QUOTE ]

History and Culture of SE Asia to be exact.

While I don't think liberal arts majors are easy, I do think they're easier than many Engineering and Science majors. I was basically bred through HS to be an Engineering / Comp Sci major, and I started out on that track. I switched to a Film and English double major. I switched because I couldn't see myself as an engineer or programmer... I wouldn't be happy. But having taken the intro type stuff for Comp Sci, and knowing some science majors, I would never argue that my classes are, on the whole, more difficult. It's just not true most of the time.

mmbt0ne 05-23-2005 01:50 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
I'm not at some Ivy League school

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorta off topic, but, from what I've heard, Harvard and Brown are both very easy once you get in.

Can anyone confirm/deny this?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines01/1121-02.htm

I had a link to a syllabus too, where the grade breakdown was something like 30% A+, 25% A, 25% A-, 15% B+, 5% B but apparently I deleted it.

Jack of Arcades 05-23-2005 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, I'm currently in a Physics class posting on 2+2, talking to friends and doing fantasy baseball and am getting an A. I have done this every day for the past 3 months. I rule.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but you go to retard school.

SCfuji 05-23-2005 02:08 PM

my astronomy teacher actually encouraged us to skip lectures because that is what he did during college. the only thing was that we needed to show up for testing. favorite class/prof of all time.

tbach24 05-23-2005 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, I'm currently in a Physics class posting on 2+2, talking to friends and doing fantasy baseball and am getting an A. I have done this every day for the past 3 months. I rule.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but you go to retard school.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, good call. Only for 10 more days and then I'm done with being a retard forever!!!!!!!!!!111