Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   finally got one just right? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=142716)

Vince Lepore 11-01-2004 08:03 AM

Re: finally got one just right?

Riveting hand. Was the purpose to tell us how you got your enemy at the table wiht a checkraise on the river instead of betting out. I fail to see the importance of posting this riveting hand. The brilliance of betting out in the dark? YOU DA MAN! lol

Enon 11-01-2004 09:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Riveting hand. Was the purpose to tell us how you got your enemy at the table wiht a checkraise on the river instead of betting out. I fail to see the importance of posting this riveting hand. The brilliance of betting out in the dark? YOU DA MAN! lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Not content with with being intensely disliked in just one forum, eh?

MMMMMM 11-01-2004 09:55 AM

Just a note: I think this hand was a beauty. One nice thing about it is that here betting regardless of what comes on the Flop (and the Turn, given the flop that was seen) is probably correct so the dark betting is not giving up that much if anything. Plus it gains psychologically against this type of opponent.

The river checkraise is perfect in this situation.

Yup Mike L. you finally got one right! Wish I could get more right like this [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'm not sure which Tommy and Andy are objecting to: the river check-raise or the terminology you used with the check-raise. Actually, given their profiles, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Tommy was objecting to the river check-raise while Andy was objecting to the terminology;-) Andy of course could have been objecting to both equally. Guess I'll have to go back and reread their posts; it's been a couple days.

Broyle Dunson 11-01-2004 10:06 AM

If you liked that one check out the section on Bad Beats.

rory 11-01-2004 10:25 AM

The temple I used to go to had a few Zen masters staying there. They had their own personalities but most of them were very placid and peaceful, walking around with smiles on their faces most of the time. I think if someone burst in and put a gun to their head, they would just smile that same peaceful smile at him. I thought of them as bobbing along in the sea of emotion.

There was one master who yelled a lot. He would storm into the meditation room and yell. He would whack people with a stick and call them lazy. He would bang his stick on the ground and call someone stupid if they answered his question wrong. I used to think of him as surfing the sea of emotion.

I learned the most from the surfer.

andyfox 11-01-2004 01:22 PM

Tommy's post was crystal clear. He said brilliantly played river except for the his-ass part. And I agreed. But see my subsequent posts in response to mike's comments.

I probably have a bit of an advantage over you here in that I know mike personally. I think I know what he's like and, therefore, what serves him well or ill at the table. Tommy also knows and has played with him.

MMMMMM 11-02-2004 02:15 AM

Ok, well I guess I just don't get it then. Mike L. didn't say anything about checkraising his ass at the table, did he? So what is the objection? That he thinks in those terms? That the check-raise might have undesirable metagame effects against this particular opponent? What am I missing that you and Tommy might be thinking since you know Mike L. and I don't?

andyfox 11-02-2004 02:39 AM

Mike doesn't like it when somebody gets that "cocky" look on his face. So instead of deciding whether a check-raise will work by figuring out why the guy has that cocky look, mike is susceptible to going for the check raise jut to try to wipe that cocky look off his face by raising his ass.

Focus and forethought get the job done. Wiping the cocky look off his face by raising his ass doesn't. For most of us. Mike says it does for him.

MMMMMM 11-02-2004 04:23 AM

Welll OK, though the way the story was told it sure seemed that the cocky look on the guy's face combined with his "AK, eh?" made it sound like the the guy was definitely going to bet and the check-raise was going to work. Nothing in the story indicated what you just said, and everything pointed to it being the perfect spot for a check-raise. I don't think Mike's actions or analysis can be faulted here, though you might conceivably fault his motives if you are pretty sure what they were.

andyfox 11-02-2004 01:05 PM

I also think the check-raise was perfect (as did Tommy). It's the talk about the guy being cocky and the "raise his ass" comments that, to me, kept mike from getting things "just right." Objective analysis is what get things right, not wanting to "get" someone. But mike claims being like this makes him play sharper. I have my doubts, but if it is indeed so, then that works for mike and that's great.