Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Halloween and Kids these days (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=369104)

10-31-2005 06:54 PM

Re: Halloween and Kids these days

[ QUOTE ]
I find it much easier if you drive around the neighborhood in a van with tinted windows; slow down on the street and approach a few kids (no more then 4) . Roll down the window and tell them you'll drive them to a place where they can get all the candy they want.

[/ QUOTE ]

On a related note, there's a new law in Illinois that makes it illegal for sex offenders to answer the door for trick-or-treaters.

And no, smartass, I'm not refusing to answer my door tonight because I'm required by law.

mmbt0ne 10-31-2005 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PS. only did this on the teen ones - for little kids, I took it off, don't want to traumatise any of em

[/ QUOTE ]

My roommate did this last year. Only, he wore two masks. When one of the kids got really scared, and the mom said, "take off the mask, show her you're not really a monster" he took off the top monster mask, and had a skeleton mask on underneath. The kid ran away screaming.

durron597 10-31-2005 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I find it much easier if you drive around the neighborhood in a van with tinted windows; slow down on the street and approach a few kids (no more then 4) . Roll down the window and tell them you'll drive them to a place where they can get all the candy they want.

[/ QUOTE ]

On a related note, there's a new law in Illinois that makes it illegal for sex offenders to answer the door for trick-or-treaters.

And no, smartass, I'm not refusing to answer my door tonight because I'm required by law.

[/ QUOTE ]

No one said anything, what are you so worried about???

phil_ivey_fan 10-31-2005 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I'm upstairs and a few kids walk up to my house and bang on the door. A few seconds later I hear the doorbell ring. It's not a hard to find doorbell.

So I open the door and see three girls, two princesses and a cat. I bring out the candy dish. They quietly take some and start to walk down the front porch. I say "Aren't you supposed to say something?" they all say "Thank you!"

*sigh*.

While I was writing the above post, the next group of kids comes up to the door and look at me expectantly. I try again "Aren't you supposed to say something?" These kids are a little smarter, despite the fact that I have a Jedi, Darth Vader, another princess and a hockey player. *sigh*. And then I see the kid standing behind them in a ghoul costume... who then comes up, and tries to grab a whole fistful of candy. Good thing his dad was right behind him or he probably would have made off with the whole bowl before I could stop him.

At least I should be glad they aren't egging my house.

[/ QUOTE ]

don't be a loser, hand out BK Breakfasts
http://www.planet-tron.com/2p2/bk.jpg

ddubois 10-31-2005 07:56 PM

When I was a kid, my dad followed me around to each house, staying at the sidewalk. Every couple of houses, he'd ask me if I had said thank you, and if I hadn't, I'd have to give him his choice of one of my candies. You learn to say thank you -- oh yes, you learn.

I always announced "trick or treat" when they opened the door, that was never even an issue. [censored], I mean, you have to say something when they open the door - how the hell do these kids just stand around?!

Maybe I'll do this: I'll put a sign up informing them: "You must say 'trick or treat' and 'thank you', and if they don't, rather than giving them candy, I'll just eat a piece in front of them.

Sponger15SB 10-31-2005 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And then I see the kid standing behind them in a ghoul costume... who then comes up, and tries to grab a whole fistful of candy. Good thing his dad was right behind him or he probably would have made off with the whole bowl before I could stop him.

At least I should be glad they aren't egging my house.

[/ QUOTE ]

bald [censored]

Colonel Kataffy 10-31-2005 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you just recently move to your present location? I found out not too long ago, that telling jokes on halloween in exchange for candy is a regional thing, and not done everywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where is this the custom?

swede123 10-31-2005 08:05 PM

I think Jake told a story of people doing this when he used to live in Missouri? Or was it Michigan? Anyway, this is a pretty cool custom, I'd definitely up the candy ante if I had a four year old trying to tell me some silly joke.

Swede

TimTimSalabim 10-31-2005 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
hence the 'empty' part.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he meant "the whole bowl and sign".

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would a kid want an empty bowl [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

He can sell it on EBay.

Buffalo 66 = awesome movie, BTW.

10-31-2005 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'll do this: I'll put a sign up informing them: "You must say 'trick or treat' and 'thank you', and if they don't, rather than giving them candy, I'll just eat a piece in front of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

This made me chuckle