Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Advice for college (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=286383)

Popinjay 07-05-2005 05:26 AM

Re: Advice for college

I too am going be a freshman at college next year but I'm at Loyola Marymount in LA. However, I don't drink or do drugs for various reasons (yes I've done both several times). Any advice for me?

handsome 07-05-2005 06:07 AM

Gotta agree w/ the books thing. Half.com is your friend.

Meet as many people as you can when you get there. Srsly. After your freshman year it will be much harder making new friends.

ClaytonN 07-05-2005 06:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well in a month and a half I'll be off to Indiana University for the first college year of my life. Let's hear some college tips / advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two people from my high school (suburb Atlanta) are going there. Cool stuff.

And yea, I'm going to UGA in the fall.

Brain 07-05-2005 06:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

5. Wear shower shoes. I repeat, WEAR SHOWER SHOES.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really want to hear the story behind this, but I kind of do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we've all heard at least one of these. Let's not revisit those and scar our young friend.

Brain 07-05-2005 06:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Good rules. Execpt:

[ QUOTE ]

8. No drinking after 2 PM on Sunday.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about no drinking after 7:30PM (or insert appropriate time for your time zone) when the second football game is over?

NoOuts 07-05-2005 07:17 AM

If you drop the soap, it's generally ok to bend over to pick it up.

1800GAMBLER 07-05-2005 07:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I too am going be a freshman at college next year but I'm at Loyola Marymount in LA. However, I don't drink or do drugs for various reasons (yes I've done both several times). Any advice for me?

[/ QUOTE ]

Drink.

dcasper70 07-05-2005 09:56 AM

Try to either have no classes before 10 AM, or have as many classes as possible stacked on Tuesday & Thursday.

Search out classes that are only once a week. They're out there...

Study hard Sunday through Wednesday so you can be silly on the weekend. Two or three hours 4 nights a week, develop a routine.

LoaferGee12 07-05-2005 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I graduated from IU in May 04, from Kelley school of Biz with a degree in Entrepreneurship, I've been playing poker professionally since Sept of 04 btw. I second going to bball games and you should tailgate the football games, hell this year you may even go in, the passing attack may actually be fun to watch.

Getting into the biz school is cake, or at least it was. Used to you had to have a 3.0 in 3 classes out of Calculus, Finite, Business Admin(An older guy teaches this who lets you out early and is super cake, easy A, and K101(Excel and other computer stuff). So make sure you take the Business Admin which is X101 so you can subsitute that grade for one of the other 3 in case you suck in one of those others. The X101 is an elective so you arent forced to take it.

Clubs are good to be involved in because they look good on your resume, maybe you should start a Poker club and be president, seems simple enough, clubs arent that much work really. Hell I could guest speak.

I also recommend against living at Sterling Glen unless things have changed, the place is nice, but its so boring over there, its not like the commons, or Hoosier Courts or definately not the Villas, seems like nothing is ever going on, everyone stays in over there.

If going to the bars, see Hairbangers Ball at theluebird and Dave and Rae are usually good too.

Where are you from btw?

[/ QUOTE ]

How was the business school, difficulty-wise? I'm from a suburb outside Chicago and I'll be moving in to a Foster dorm.

CollinEstes 07-05-2005 10:10 AM

My only things I would have changed about my approach to college is that the first two years when you are taking the generally easier classes try to make the best possible grades you can. If you can make As or Bs in those first two years it will be hard to screw up your GPA in the last two years when the classes get harder.

The reverse is true if you screw around those first two years and try to pick up a bad GPA in the last two years it is going to be very hard to do.

I looked back when I was applying for Law school and kicked myself over some Cs in easy classes that I was just lazy in.

My other advice: TALK TO PEOPLE ABOUT PROFESSORS. Go to Pickaprof.com and look up you University and check out the profs. Whether you get the good professor of not could be the difference in not trying and getting an A, or busting your ass and making a C. Sad but true.