Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   PP25NL, Laying Down a Set (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=282131)

TheWorstPlayer 06-28-2005 02:51 PM

Re: PP25NL, Laying Down a Set

They call too much and raise too little. I think the limp is fine. Of course, I wouldn't argue with a raise. But I think the turn is the key here. I would personally raise, since it is SO rare for someone to lead out when the flush hits, but I can see calling, too, I guess.

soah 06-28-2005 03:21 PM

In the time I dabbled in this game I found that raising preflop and betting the flop to be +EV regardless of cards. They will call preflop with trash but they won't continue past the flop without top pair or a good draw, and they don't play back at you.

TheWorstPlayer 06-28-2005 03:24 PM

Really? Even at the hundreds, I see people calling mid-, bottom-, and even under-pairs on the flop. I definitely saw it at the 25s. I'm not saying raising and betting flop is not +EV. But with 77 in MP, I think it is probably more +EV to limp, keep people in, hit a set or overpair and value bet the crap outta them.

soah 06-28-2005 03:41 PM

Are you talking about the 6-max or full games? The 6-maxers are goons but the full ringers were nits. There were some clear morons sprinkled in, but most of them were pretty weak-tight.

I would expect people to be making some looser calls at the higher levels because those players are more aware that you're coming in from a steal position and may have missed the board, etc. Instead of just saying "I missed the flop, I fold." But I haven't played any full ring at the other levels so I can't verify anything.

TheWorstPlayer 06-28-2005 04:00 PM

Right. I forgot that I only played 6m. I've never played a full ring at Party. Oops.

PinkSteel 06-28-2005 04:55 PM

Thanks for the replies

[ QUOTE ]
Are you talking about the 6-max or full games? The 6-maxers are goons but the full ringers were nits. There were some clear morons sprinkled in, but most of them were pretty weak-tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm no good at reads -- I couldn't figure out if this guy was a goon, a nit, or a moron. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Thanks for all the feedback, much appreciated.

I only limp 77, which is clearly a bit weak; I'll start mixing it up a bit. But limping and playing for the set works pretty well for me.

Given the hand to play again I would have raised the turn, probably to $8-10, to probe for the flush, and folded to a strong raise.

I'm still comfortable with the laydown. I'm sure I'm probably good a fair percentage of the time, and I can imagine occasionally calling this. But way too often these players just bet what they have, and if they have the nuts the just push it all in. Without a read, I just decided to dump it and watch this guy some more.

amoeba 06-28-2005 05:39 PM

with CO still to act behind me on the turn, I call the turn just like you did.

after co folded, I might call the push on the river as most guys check when they hit the flush on the turn.

I don't want to raise the turn as it would be a significant amount and I'm charging myself extra to boat on the river.

whether I call or fold river is heavily read dependent. The more solid the player, the more I lean towards fold.