Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   STTF-HUC II: Registration is open (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=349217)

Jason Strasser 10-03-2005 09:29 AM

Re: STTF-HUC II: Registration is open

I will not be there due to school but the format seems messed up... It must be a huge advantage to buy in as a 200 vs a 500.

-Jason

fnord_too 10-03-2005 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I will not be there due to school but the format seems messed up... It must be a huge advantage to buy in as a 200 vs a 500.

-Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

If you buy in for 200, I think the payouts are 40% of what the $500 payouts are. I'm not really sure how they handle things if a $200 entry wins, I'm guessing there is some math and a lot of whining involved in that scenario.

Irieguy 10-03-2005 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

-Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

As a $200 player you are only eligible for $200 of prize money from each player. So, you are only playing for a portion of the prize pool. You have an advantage because you get full value from all players, whereas the $500 players don't get full value from the $200 players.

To offset this disadvantage, the $500 players get a better draw.

I didn't like this aspect going into the first HUC and was pretty sure I was going to ditch it for future events. But, it turned out to be an interesting quirk, and made the deal-making really fun at the end. The main advantage is that it gives lower-limit players a more affordable way to participate in a very fun event. The disadvantages, which at first seemed significant, turned out to be no big deal and actually added quite a bit of character to the format.

Irieguy

Irieguy 10-03-2005 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Edit: Just read the thread and noticed that all of the spots are filled. Just let me know if any open up from now until then!

[/ QUOTE ]

All of the spots are not filled. I just said that I have enough interested people to fill the tournament. The spots aren't filled until I get the entry fee.

Remember that 2 people who were "definitely in" didn't show up to the first one and another paid entrant almost didn't make it.

I will make a clear announcement when I have 32 paid entries. Until then, if you want in just send me a PM with your name and I will give you an address to send your check next week.

Irieguy

MegaBet 10-03-2005 12:19 PM

I don't understand why a $200 player has to play a $500 player? Doesn't that kinda discourage those who can only afford to pay $200 because they'll be up against a really good player. Just trying to be devil's advocate here.

raptor517 10-03-2005 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why a $200 player has to play a $500 player? Doesn't that kinda discourage those who can only afford to pay $200 because they'll be up against a really good player. Just trying to be devil's advocate here.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, the 500 player doesnt have to be a good player. holla

MegaBet 10-03-2005 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, the 500 player doesnt have to be a good player. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're buying in for $200 then raps? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Jason Strasser 10-03-2005 01:18 PM

Hmm sounds complicated. Didnt know that you are only eligible for 200 from every other player.

-Jason

raptor517 10-03-2005 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmm sounds complicated. Didnt know that you are only eligible for 200 from every other player.

-Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

its a fun little twist. the 500 players are kinda screwed cuz they dont get full value, but i duno im still doin it cuz im stubborn. holla

Apathy 10-03-2005 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

-Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

It's only a few days dude, and it's well worth the couple messed classes (isn't this over a US holiday anyways?)