Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   how can you be a fan of this sport? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=227520)

Ianco15 04-07-2005 01:32 AM

Re: how can you be a fan of this sport?

I should have been more clear. My favorite sport to play is soccer. My favorite sport to watch is football. Soccer is okay to watch but there arent really home teams I can root for. The only games I see on TV are on the spanish channel with teams from places that I don't even know where they are.

Ship__It.

DavidC 04-07-2005 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't like BASEBALL!!! what are you, some kind of pinko commie fairy-boy?! go back to russia, you filthy goldbrickin' hippy! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

actually, it takes time to cultivate an appreciation for baseball, and it's worth the time. Baseball is an elegant and suprisingly exciting game. give it a shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, I hate baseball too, but you're absolutely correct. Same with basketball. I can't appreciate either sport, but I don't really know what I'm looking for.

--Dave.

jstnrgrs 04-07-2005 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Irish were really dominating the whole time, but the Germans ended up scoring a goal sometime near the end of the first half or the start of the second.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the problem I think a lot of us have with soccer.

jstnrgrs 04-07-2005 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You know, I hate baseball too, but you're absolutely correct. Same with basketball. I can't appreciate either sport, but I don't really know what I'm looking for.

[/ QUOTE ]
From what I can tell, in basketball, you are generally looking for an excuse to complain about the officiating.

DavidC 04-07-2005 01:36 AM

STRIKEBOX, er, area, or something

Since I don't know the term, I'll describe it.

I was watching baseball, and the area in which a ball has to pass to be considered a strike (what's this, above the knees, below the shoulders, and over the plate?), was outlined in yellow and the path of the ball was drawn on the screen (only in the replay).

Basically so that we could see if it was a strike and where the pitch was being aimed.

I thought this was pretty neat.

What do you guys think?

DavidC 04-07-2005 01:38 AM

Thank you. Thank you.

DavidC 04-07-2005 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why people care what sports others enjoy, or why they try to defend a sport they like.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

If people thought like that, this forum wouldn't exist. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

jstnrgrs 04-07-2005 01:39 AM

Re: STRIKEBOX, er, area, or something

the term is strike zone. I like it on replays, (and I would be in favor of using similar technology to call balls and strikes).

DavidC 04-07-2005 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Soccer is bar none the greatest sport on Earth.
Football is second best.

Ship__It.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bump. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Michael Davis 04-07-2005 01:41 AM

"When a referee issuse a yellow or red card, he is often issuing a fine, or a suspention, or both."

This isn't true. I am a high level referee. If there are suspensions or fines associated with cards, technically this is set by the league. Now of course the referee knows of these penalties in advance, but technically all his yellow or red cards mean is that the player is sanctioned for that match. What actions happen after that match are not the responsibility of the referee, even if the standards are set in stone by an unwavering league committee.

There have been cases where suspensions and fines have not been assessed, although they are more rare than should be.

-Michael