Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   negreanu religious view? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=276599)

bruce 06-20-2005 02:19 PM

Re: negreanu religious view?

Who give's a rats ass about this subject?

Jordan Olsommer 06-20-2005 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
his got a point with the unabomber stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, if you think about it, he doesn't. Phil Laak got that nickname because he, in his hooded sweatshirt, looked like the police sketch of the Unabomber suspect. The man who they eventually found looked nothing like that. Not to mention the much more obvious fact that the nickname was bestowed for a very benign reason - his appearance. This is why, despite his best efforts to draw an analogy that would express how offended he is by Phil Laak's nickname, a player nicknamed "Hitler" because he had a tiny upper-lip eyebrow of a moustache wouldn't be particularly offensive (as opposed to a player who got the nickname "Hitler" because he frequently busts Jewish players out of a tournament or something).

Ironically enough, in misinterpreting a symbol for something (Chris Ferguson's or Phil Laak's nicknames) as that something itself (Jesus or the terrorist Unabomber), he's committing the cardinal sin of religion (what Joseph Campbell once described as "going into a restaurant and eating the menu"). If you don't see the irony, I recommend you make every effort to try - it's quite delicious. :P

My initial hypothesis is that he's just looking for something to whine about.

JackWhite 06-20-2005 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you get offended, that's your deal. Get a freaking life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm.if you say it's their deal, then why do you care? Why don't you shut the hell up and get a life? Who are you to tell someone else they cannot get offended? None of your damn business.

otnemem 06-20-2005 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A player nicknamed "Hitler" because he had a tiny upper-lip eyebrow of a moustache wouldn't be particularly offensive (as opposed to a player who got the nickname "Hitler" because he frequently busts Jewish players out of a tournament or something).

[/ QUOTE ]

I can assume fairly certainly that we will never hear Mike Sexton say, "Hitler raises on a stone cold bluff!" There would be a (limited) public outcry if the WPT chose to nickname a player "Hitler" for any reason.

I'm sorry, but are you actually suggesting that there would be any circumstance in which people wouldn't get offended by a "character" nicknamed Hitler?

Smoothcall 06-20-2005 03:15 PM

Yeah i think it is a bit blastphimus(sp?). It erks me when i here them call him "jesus". I mean i know he probably didn't invent the name it was given to him for his look. And he does look a bit like him. But its disrespectful and blastphimus.

Smoothcall 06-20-2005 03:17 PM

I agree. Daniel has a point with unibomber as well.

kodonnell 06-20-2005 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
That is so childish... There are millions of things in the world which might offend someone if they chose to get offended by it...

If you knew someone who was killed or maimed by the Unabomber, wouldn't you be offended that a poker player was cheered on by that name? I sure would.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um....hmmmmm.....No. I live in a reality where I understand the difference between Phil "The Unabomber" Laak and Ted "The Unabomber" Kaczynski.

I'll ask this question to those who find nicknames offensive. If a new player came onto the poker scene and his legal name was Adolf Hitler, would that offend you? Is that any different than an offensive nickname?

I say we all take a collective bong hit and relax a bit.

Smoothcall 06-20-2005 03:21 PM

That one was actually kinda funny. And those guys all know each other and it was all in fun. But if it was a knickname that stuck it would be offensive to many people probably.

AliasMrJones 06-20-2005 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, if you think about it, he doesn't. Phil Laak got that nickname because he, in his hooded sweatshirt, looked like the police sketch of the Unabomber suspect. The man who they eventually found looked nothing like that. Not to mention the much more obvious fact that the nickname was bestowed for a very benign reason - his appearance. This is why, despite his best efforts to draw an analogy that would express how offended he is by Phil Laak's nickname, a player nicknamed "Hitler" because he had a tiny upper-lip eyebrow of a moustache wouldn't be particularly offensive (as opposed to a player who got the nickname "Hitler" because he frequently busts Jewish players out of a tournament or something).

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally feel that people, in general, seem to get offended by stuff way too much. However, where I think Laak goes wrong is in perpetuating the nickname. Why would anyone want to be known as the unabomber? I can't understand it. Yet, he continued to wear that hooded sweatshirt which in turn seemed to imply he liked the nickname or at least encouraged it. I really can't think of many nicknames I rather not have than a crazy guy that blew up innocent people.

Again, with Ferguson, I really don't understand how it is disrespectful.

Jordan Olsommer 06-20-2005 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, where I think Laak goes wrong is in perpetuating the nickname. Why would anyone want to be known as the unabomber? I can't understand it. Yet, he continued to wear that hooded sweatshirt which in turn seemed to imply he liked the nickname or at least encouraged it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know whether or not he goes around saying "Hey ladies, you might remember me from the world poker tour - I'm Phil 'The Unabomber' Laak", but if 'perpetuating his nickname' means that other people continue to call him that because he wears what he's most comfortable playing poker in (a hooded sweatshirt), then f- 'em. He's not responsible for what morons think.