Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Difficult Post Flop Hand: ($33) (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=393932)

12-08-2005 06:28 PM

Re: Difficult Post Flop Hand: ($33)

If you are going to fold to a river bet, I think checking behind on the turn is really bad. When you check behind, you basically say you are weak/drawing. This will induce far weaker hands to bet/push the river, and IMO you should tend to call barring reads. The benefit of checking behind on the turn is that you induce bluffs from weaker hands, and keep the pot reasonable if your opponent has a monster. By the way, I don't think most people who beat a AK push the river after you check behind on the turn. They want value from their hand, and they will probably make a callable bet.

pineapple888 12-08-2005 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are going to fold to a river bet, I think checking behind on the turn is really bad. When you check behind, you basically say you are weak/drawing. This will induce far weaker hands to bet/push the river, and IMO you should tend to call barring reads. The benefit of checking behind on the turn is that you induce bluffs from weaker hands, and keep the pot reasonable if your opponent has a monster. By the way, I don't think most people who beat a AK push the river after you check behind on the turn. They want value from their hand, and they will probably make a callable bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

You might be surprised how few 33 players have any clue how to value bet the river.

12-08-2005 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You might be surprised how few 33 players have any clue how to value bet the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

This may be true. However, the probability that villain's push on the river is a bluff given that you check behind on the turn is way higher than probability of villian bluff pushing after you bet the turn. This disparity leads me to think that if you will fold to a push on a brick river, you should bet the turn and fold to a checkraise or a call/lead push. This way you have a lower chance of mucking the best hand. I still think the best line is to bet out pot or checkraise pot on the flop, check behind on the turn, and call a bet on the river or bet 1/2 pot if checked to.