Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   How smart are you? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=367864)

cracker9521 10-29-2005 04:26 PM

Re: How smart are you?

ACT~31 composite
36 reading
36 english
26 and 27 in math and science dont remember which was which

It was the first and only time I took the test so if I couldnt do the math or science in my head or with simple calculations I just guessed thinking I would take the test again. Only IQ test I ever took was given to me in elementary school and I scored a 157. So supposedly I am fairly intelligent but i still suck at the poker.

ghostface 10-29-2005 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Go_Blue88 10-29-2005 05:56 PM

This post is ridiculous

Here's why:

I think it's absurd to think that a really smart guy will beat small stakes poker by a much larger margin than a dumbass. The people with higher IQ's have a better chance at beating the high stakes games b/c there's a ton more complex concepts involved. Small stakes poker (ie up till NL 200) is very simple. You can do well if you understand simple math like pot odds, implied odds, and the concepts behind value betting. A person with a 33 on the ACT is not going understand these concepts any better than someone with a 23; they're extremely simple.

Once you understand the basic concepts, it comes down to your instincts and your ability to read players. Sure, higher intelligence might help you figure out a person's betting patterns, but people of lower intelligence are still perceptive. And even if you got a 36 on the ACT and are great at reading people, this many times rarely matters in games up till NL200 b/c there are so many morons.

Overall pt: The correlation b/w intelligence and rate you win at is only relevant/important in higher stakes.

10-29-2005 06:20 PM

Re: This post is ridiculous

I have a friend, the one who taught me how to play this game and is a consistent 6-8 bb/100 at 1kNL, who is not the smartest kid ever. He probably got under a 900 on his SAT, smokes weed all day but understands poker to a degree which I cannot understand. 1280 on SAT for me.

xorbie 10-29-2005 06:28 PM

I got a 1600 on my SAT. What do I win?

excession 10-29-2005 07:00 PM

I'm not sure many poker skills correlate that well to most intelligence tests...

I got three years ahead of my age group at school, but in the UK we don't have all these SAT/IQ test stuff, so I've no idea - smart enough to win at the levels I play at I guess [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Godfather80 10-29-2005 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My esteem, as you got the 10 points that I missed. And I still suck at poker.

10-29-2005 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I got a 1600 too. They say people who get 1590s are more likely to get into college.

I also suck at poker but fing rock at taking standardized tests.

xorbie 10-29-2005 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I got a 1600 too. They say people who get 1590s are more likely to get into college.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd assume you mean into an elite college? I think the whole process was bullshit. Not because I didn't get into some schools I applied.. that's perfectly reasonable (only had like 3.6 in HS and didn't do [censored]), but because some of my very qualified friends were rejected from basically everywhere they applied.

pokerjoker 10-29-2005 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did Noone read the 1st line of this post?