Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Film Question (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=406456)

shadow29 12-28-2005 12:58 PM

Re: Film Question

[ QUOTE ]
He was also great as the founder of Creem magazine in 'Almost Famous'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lester Bangs. His performance was spot on to the real dude, too. Doesn't hurt that Cameron gave him actual lines spoken by Lester, either.

bisonbison 12-28-2005 12:59 PM

Fear and Loathing. Donnie Brasco. Gilbert Grape?

I'll admit to not having seen some of his stuff, but I did see Chocolat. I did see Secret Window.

istewart 12-28-2005 01:00 PM

Gilbert Grape no way.

Dead Man gets the nod, not totally because of him though.

The rest I guess, hard to believe Finding Neverland is "great," however.

CrazyEyez 12-28-2005 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Finding Neverland
Dead Man
Ed Wood
What's Eating Gilbert Grape?
Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas

[/ QUOTE ]
Blow

istewart 12-28-2005 01:03 PM

Blow is awesome but it is far from a great movie. Terrific soundtrack though.

ChipWrecked 12-28-2005 01:05 PM

From Hell.

istewart 12-28-2005 01:06 PM

Worst movie ever. Sleepy Hollow was probably better.

Uston 12-28-2005 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Gilbert Grape no way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. I loved it.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Jim Jarmusch is amazing and Neil Young did a great job with the soundtrack.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I expected to not like it. Turned out to be one of my three favorite movies of the year.

ChipWrecked 12-28-2005 01:07 PM

Finding Neverland was one of the rare movies I actually stayed awake on a plane for. Also, I have a huge crush on what's-her-name.

kenberman 12-28-2005 01:09 PM

Sean Penn

istewart 12-28-2005 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jeff Spicoli

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Georgia Avenue 12-28-2005 01:33 PM

This question kinda depends on whether you think it's better to be a Character Actor or a Movie Star.

Humphrey Bogart: Movie Star
Dustin Hoffman: Character Actor

I think they're both hard to do. The problem with Movie Stars is that they can get miscast or just phone it in (Secret Window anyone? Terminal? Man on Fire? Bleh.)

The problem with Character Actors is that they make bad choices and end up in Ishtar 2. Or I AM SAM Re-Loaded: The Revenge.

One personal favorite of mine is Ol' Marky Mark himself, (sans funky Bunch)--Mark Wahlberg. He's just so consitent and watchable, even in poopoo like Truth About Charlie.

Tough Call,

--GA

YourFoxyGrandma 12-28-2005 01:51 PM

Will Smith
Steve Buscemi
Bruce Willis

WillMagic 12-28-2005 02:02 PM

Ralph Fiennes
Liam Neeson
Tom Hanks

Will

limon 12-28-2005 02:15 PM

bill murray.

x

MrMon 12-28-2005 02:15 PM

There are two locks for the list, both already mentioned.

Tom Hanks - The list over the last 15 years is just too good too ignore. He's the modern day Jimmy Stewart and the only modern actor I can see even having a chance at remaking something like It's A Wonderful Life, which they better never do.

Phillip Seymour Hoffman - One of the great character actors of all time, he thoroughly disappears into each role. I haven't seen Capote yet, other than the trailers and interviews shows, but this better be his year.

Everyone else is fighting for the last spot. I'll toss in one nominee that hasn't been mentioned - Vincent D'Onofrio.

WDC 12-28-2005 02:16 PM

Sean Penn
Kevin Bacon
Kevin Spacey

KaneKungFu123 12-28-2005 02:34 PM

i cant believe how many people think russel crowe is the best actor in the last 15 years. you really suck.

ps: training day and man on fire = Great.
practically everything else he has made makes me vommit.

KaneKungFu123 12-28-2005 02:36 PM

Sam Jackson
Kevin Spacy
Pacino

jba 12-28-2005 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i cant believe how many people think russel crowe is the best actor in the last 15 years. you really suck.

ps: training day and man on fire = Great.
practically everything else he has made makes me vommit.

[/ QUOTE ]

you sure make some awesomely dumb posts

Paluka 12-28-2005 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Gilbert Grape no way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Finding Neverland was an exceptional film. I enjoyed it very much. I don't understand why you would find it "hard to believe" that a movie with 2 highly acclaimed leads with many many awards between them and a director who was coming off a successful film (Monster's Ball) could be great.

bisonbison 12-28-2005 02:41 PM

LA Confidential
The Insider
A Beautiful Mind
Master and Commander
Cinderella Man

I didn't like Gladiator much, but the man has mad chops and is almost always entirely convincing as whoever he's playing.

Hell, I even liked Mystery, Alaska.

rgreenm90 12-28-2005 02:43 PM

Hanks and Crowe are the easy answers. If you ask the question again in ten years, Norton will be on there also. I'd say the third spot goes to Liam Neeson, Kevin Spacey, Denzel, or maybe Depp. Interesting that no women have been mentioned.

jba 12-28-2005 02:45 PM

bison,

KKF is apparently talking about Denzel.

LA Confidential is the [censored], and crowe's best movie by far.

peace,
jba

nyc999 12-28-2005 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sean Penn

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't believe I had to get to the fifth page to see his name. I'd go...

Hanks
Penn
Crowe

bisonbison 12-28-2005 02:47 PM

Norton's good in Fight Club and Red Dragon. I understand a lot of people liked him in American History X (which I thought sucked) and Primal Fear (haven't seen it in years).

But beyond that? I dunno. Red Dragon's the only good movie he's made this century.

diebitter 12-28-2005 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Norton's good in Fight Club and Red Dragon. I understand a lot of people liked him in American History X (which I thought sucked) and Primal Fear (haven't seen it in years).

But beyond that? I dunno. Red Dragon's the only good movie he's made this century.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two words: 25th hour

kyro 12-28-2005 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He was very good in "The Score." Not a very good movie, but he was excellent in it.

Paluka 12-28-2005 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He was very good in "The Score." Not a very good movie, but he was excellent in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is also true for Death To Smoochy and Rounders. Not great films, but he stood out in both.

bisonbison 12-28-2005 03:20 PM

I've never seen. Added to netflix.

Nicholasp27 12-28-2005 03:27 PM

christopher walken
steve buscemi
william h macy

MyTurn2Raise 12-28-2005 03:30 PM

Robin Williams
Ed Norton
Denzel Washington

12-28-2005 03:44 PM

I'm gonna throw in a new name: Don Cheadle.

He has done some aweseome roles.

Crash
Hotel Rwanda
Ocean's 11
The Family Man
Traffic
Boogie Nights
Colors

To me, it doesn't feel like he is acting, it's like he is just living the character. If he isn't top 3 right now, give it a couple more years.

jba 12-28-2005 03:51 PM

"Don Cheadle"

he's awesome

diebitter 12-28-2005 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Don Cheadle"

he's awesome

[/ QUOTE ]

He inflicted unbelievable cruelty to the cockney accent in Ocean's 11 though. Made Dick Van Dyke look positively method.

xorbie 12-28-2005 04:28 PM

norton is great, he just chooses some questionable roles (death to smoochy, the score, italian job). i haven't seen a single role of his that isn't really convincing, and he does a lot of really different characters.

The Yugoslavian 12-28-2005 04:34 PM

Depends on what you mean by 'greatest.' I think the actor that most embodies (with his work and roles and such) 1990ish until now is Tom Cruise. Is he the best actor? No way, not even close....but he could be one of the three 'greatest.' Oh, I just read your subsequent post....I'd say Tom Cruise should be on the list.

As for best I think Denzel needs to be up there. Hanks needs to as well. As for the third I'd toss it up between Norton, Depp, Crowe and Spacey.

Yugoslav

diebitter 12-28-2005 04:41 PM

no love for Pitt huh? After seven, snatch, true romance, legends of the fall, Fight Club, 12 monkeys...

Blarg 12-28-2005 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The standard answer will be Robert DeNiro, Al Pacino, and either Jack Nicholson, Dustin Hoffman, or Tom Hanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dustin Hoffman and especially Tom Hanks aren't worth spit compared to Jack Nicholson. And I'm a guy who likes Hoffman. Hanks isn't even on the radar.

rudedog78 12-28-2005 04:56 PM

It's very hard to do a list like this because alot of people have different opinions, but if you could ask x people you would get the most known actors show up, probably something like Hanks, Crowe and Depp...

It's a preety good list, but it will differ from people to people, especially Crowe and Depp.