Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   WPT Final 6 (Clearly Official 5 Diamond Day 5 Thread) (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=399854)

12-17-2005 01:04 AM

Re: WPT Final 6 (Clearly Official 5 Diamond Day 5 Thread)

I guess the Unabomber didn't read Caro's Book of Tells.

Remember, weak means strong.

hehe =)

12-17-2005 01:07 AM

Re: WPT Final 6

Am I right in assuming that Gigabet is playing for 1st and 1st only?

Sponger15SB 12-17-2005 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This was a resteal. He probably had a read that Antonius didn't have a strong hand. If Antonius folds, he picks up a 400K pot and maybe K3o won't be in too bad shape if heis called.

Notice Antonius made a small raise to 2.5xBB. The Unabomber undoubtably interpreted that as a weak attempt to steal the blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/94/pics/94hupdate3.jpg

Sponger15SB 12-17-2005 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I right in assuming that Gigabet is playing for 1st and 1st only?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, however all the other people aren't playing for first. They prefer 2nds and 3rds.

Sponger15SB 12-17-2005 01:08 AM

I have decided that I am going to make a smart ass remark to as many posts in this thread as possible.

ononimo 12-17-2005 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Man Phil Laak is gonna be thinking about that dumb move for a LONG time. Difference between first and 6th is 1.9 million. Jebus! Got through 484 and only needed 5 more people to go through and ya screw it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was a resteal. He probably had a read that Antonius didn't have a strong hand. If Antonius folds, he picks up a 400K pot and maybe K3o won't be in too bad shape if heis called.

Notice Antonius made a small raise to 2.5xBB. The Unabomber undoubtably interpreted that as a weak attempt to steal the blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

2.5x BB is usually close to standard as blinds get higher and higher ... do we know what the standard raise was at the time?

Boris 12-17-2005 01:17 AM

Joanne 'J.J.' Liu raised to 250k from the button, Doyle Brunson re-raised to 1.0m, and Liu pushed in. Doyle folded and Liu took the pot increasing her stack.

betgo 12-17-2005 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Joanne 'J.J.' Liu raised to 250k from the button, Doyle Brunson re-raised to 1.0m, and Liu pushed in. Doyle folded and Liu took the pot increasing her stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brunson was geting better than 2-1 to call. Interesting to see what junk he was restealing with, probably worse than Laak's K3o. I guess this is Brunson's survival strategy.

roundest 12-17-2005 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Man Phil Laak is gonna be thinking about that dumb move for a LONG time. Difference between first and 6th is 1.9 million. Jebus! Got through 484 and only needed 5 more people to go through and ya screw it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was a resteal. He probably had a read that Antonius didn't have a strong hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great read then, Phil.

12-17-2005 01:46 AM

Darrell "Gigabet" Dicken Doubles Through Rehne Pedersen
Log: <b>Hand #51</b> - Darrell Dicken has the button in seat 1, Dicken moves all in for $1,040,000, and Pedersen calls from the big blind with Ah-Qd. Dicken shows Jh-10s, and he'll need to improve to stay alive.

The flop comes 10h-4h-2h, and Dicken makes a pair of tens against Pedersen's ace-high flush draw. The turn card is the Kd, and now Pedersen can win the hand with a jack (for a straight), a queen, an ace, or any heart. But the river card is the 6c, and Darrell Dicken doubles up to over $2 million in chips.

After the hand, Pedersen is down to about $1,000,000 in chips.

___

I understand Gigabet's move, since really, Pederson will only call with a Premium hand. But man, he almost got killed on this one. Hopefully, this will induce more calls when Gigabet has a premium holding.

12-17-2005 01:47 AM

How many times has Gigabet come from behind in a showdown with his life on the line? There was the A7 quads hand, this hand, the 73o hand and a 72s hand right?

ononimo 12-17-2005 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How many times has Gigabet come from behind in a showdown with his life on the line? There was the A7 quads hand, this hand, the 73o hand and a 72s hand right?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...or/gigabet.jpg

=

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...sRazor/gus.jpg

???

12-17-2005 01:53 AM

Date / Time: 2005-12-16 21:41:00
Title: Rehne Pedersen and Darrell Dicken Chop a Pot
Log: Hand #52 - Patrik Antonius has the button in seat 2, Dicken raises to $300,000, Pedersen moves all in for $1,050,000 from the small blind, and Dicken calls with Qc-8c. Pedersen dominates him with Ah-8d.

The flop comes 7d-6c-4s, and Pedersen is still in the lead with ace high. But the turn card is the 5h, and both players make an eight-high straight to chop the pot. (The meaningless river card is the 2s.)

12-17-2005 01:56 AM

Gigabet knows there's going to be a lot of bullying by the big stacks, with the blinds so high. He basically risked half his stack, to send the message that people who move in on him better have a hand, because he will call them down.

Although I'm sure he was hoping he'd have 2 live cards.

ononimo 12-17-2005 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Date / Time: 2005-12-16 21:41:00
Title: Rehne Pedersen and Darrell Dicken Chop a Pot
Log: Hand #52 - Patrik Antonius has the button in seat 2, Dicken raises to $300,000, Pedersen moves all in for $1,050,000 from the small blind, and Dicken calls with Qc-8c. Pedersen dominates him with Ah-8d.

The flop comes 7d-6c-4s, and Pedersen is still in the lead with ace high. But the turn card is the 5h, and both players make an eight-high straight to chop the pot. (The meaningless river card is the 2s.)

[/ QUOTE ]

you know Mike and Vince are going to have a field day with the commentary on Gigabet and these hands

ononimo 12-17-2005 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Gigabet knows there's going to be a lot of bullying by the big stacks, with the blinds so high. He basically risked half his stack, to send the message that people who move in on him better have a hand, because he will call them down.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep - pretty much the same philosophy that Gus Hansen made popular during the first 2 seasons of the WPT.

12-17-2005 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yep - pretty much the same philosophy that Gus Hansen made popular during the first 2 seasons of the WPT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, you can't argue with success. haha.

12-17-2005 02:03 AM

<b>Hand #62</b> - Patrik Antonius has the button in seat 2, Dicken raises to $300,000, Pedersen moves all in for $1.2 million from the small blind, and Dicken calls with Q-J. Pedersen shows Ah-Js, and he's in a dominating position to double up here.

The flop comes Ac-9c-9d, and Pedersen solidifies his lead with a pair of aces. Dicken needs something runner-runner to survive, but the turn card is the 3s, and he is drawing dead. (The meaningless river card is the 5s.) Rehne Pedersen doubles up to over $2.5 million in chips.

CHRIST GIGABET.

Punker 12-17-2005 02:06 AM

I like Gigabet as much as the next guy, but goddamn he's gotten a lot of money in badly today.

ononimo 12-17-2005 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
<b>Hand #62</b> - Patrik Antonius has the button in seat 2, Dicken raises to $300,000, Pedersen moves all in for $1.2 million from the small blind, and Dicken calls with Q-J. Pedersen shows Ah-Js, and he's in a dominating position to double up here.

The flop comes Ac-9c-9d, and Pedersen solidifies his lead with a pair of aces. Dicken needs something runner-runner to survive, but the turn card is the 3s, and he is drawing dead. (The meaningless river card is the 5s.) Rehne Pedersen doubles up to over $2.5 million in chips.

CHRIST GIGABET.

[/ QUOTE ]

calling w/ dominated hands is not a successful long-term (or short-term) strategy.

12-17-2005 02:08 AM

He finally has a hand....

Hand #65 - Doyle Brunson has the button in seat 6, and Dicken moves all in for about $800,000 from the small blind, winning the blinds and antes. Dicken shows pocket sevens as he collects the pot.

12-17-2005 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
calling w/ dominated hands is not a successful long-term (or short-term) strategy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither is folding everytime an aggressive player raises at a short-handed table with huge blinds.

ononimo 12-17-2005 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither is folding everytime an aggressive player raises at a short-handed table with huge blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

we're not talking about just the QJ hand, sir.
like punker said, i like Gigabet as much as the next guy, but you can't tell me he isn't getting his money in badly A LOT.

psyduck 12-17-2005 02:16 AM

<font color="red"> I can't believe Gigabet was 8-tabling the 215s just a year ago. That guy is insane. </font>

bones 12-17-2005 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="red"> I can't believe Gigabet was 8-tabling the 215s just a year ago. That guy is insane. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand what is unbelievable about that.

Sponger15SB 12-17-2005 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you really need to put this in red and italicise "just a year ago".

12-17-2005 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

like punker said, i like Gigabet as much as the next guy, but you can't tell me he isn't getting his money in badly A LOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I agree. Sorry if my post came off as mean. I was just trying to say I think it's hard to criticize final table play in a situation like this without being there to understand the thought process (I'm def. not saying you're doing that, though. Just sayin'...)

psyduck 12-17-2005 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue"> Italicise is spelled with a 'z'. </font>

12-17-2005 02:29 AM

Just when Gigabet finally has the slightly better hand preflop.... karma comes back:

Darrell "Gigabet" Dicken Eliminated in 5th Place ($241,495)
Log:

&lt;b&gt;Hand #68&lt;/b&gt; - Rehne Pedersen has the button in seat 3, Dicken moves all in for $1,295,000, Antonius calls with Ah-Js. Dicken shows pocket fours (4c-4s), and it's a race situation. The flop comes Jh-9h-7c, and Antonius makes a pair of jacks to take the lead. The turn card is the 6s, and Dicken needs a four on the river to stay alive. The last card is the 8s, and Darrell "Gigabet" Dicken is eliminated in fifth place, earning $241,495.

Sponger15SB 12-17-2005 02:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=italicise

ononimo 12-17-2005 02:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

has anyone told Queen Elizabeth II?

psyduck 12-17-2005 02:31 AM

<font color="green"> Darrell "Gigabet" Dicken Eliminated in 5th Place ($241,495) </font>

[censored]! Guy is so unlucky, can't even win one single race. Plus he's a favorite too!

12-17-2005 02:32 AM

Perhaps it's fitting that he got busted by Antonius.

ononimo 12-17-2005 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I agree. Sorry if my post came off as mean. I was just trying to say I think it's hard to criticize final table play in a situation like this without being there to understand the thought process (I'm def. not saying you're doing that, though. Just sayin'...)

[/ QUOTE ]

very fair point ... however, when you consider the size of the pot before the re-raise (about 600K) and the fact that he had to call another 900K more, it's not clear that calling with QJ was the right play in that situation.

ononimo 12-17-2005 02:44 AM

GG Gigabet! nice cash.

12-17-2005 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you know Mike and Vince are going to have a field day with the commentary on Gigabet and these hands

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh they're gonna love him. I think they're going to have a hard time deciding which of his crazy all-ins make the cut. A ssuming it's two hours, I guess all of them could.

One thing I don't understand, sometimes the players say they can hear stuff Mike and VVP are saying. How does all that work?

12-17-2005 02:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
very fair point ... however, when you consider the size of the pot before the re-raise (about 600K) and the fact that he had to call another 900K more, it's not clear that calling with QJ was the right play in that situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked your first response better. :-) (I caught it before you changed it.)

Congrats Gigabet!

DHamilton97 12-17-2005 02:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh they're gonna love him. I think they're going to have a hard time deciding which of his crazy all-ins make the cut. A ssuming it's two hours, I guess all of them could.

One thing I don't understand, sometimes the players say they can hear stuff Mike and VVP are saying. How does all that work?

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't matter. They aren't allowed to see the hole cards anyways as its against the law.

ononimo 12-17-2005 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I liked your first response better. :-) (I caught it before you changed it.)

Congrats Gigabet!

[/ QUOTE ]

d'oh! [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
still friends?

ononimo 12-17-2005 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

during live play, Mike and Vince provide commentary during WITHOUT the benefit of seeing hole cards. this is the commentary that can be overheard during play. after the tournament is over, they go back and dub-in additional commentary once they know what everyone is holding.