Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Best Old School Video Game of All Time; Round of 32 (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=392929)

einbert 12-06-2005 09:34 PM

Re: Best Old School Video Game of All Time; Round of 32

[ QUOTE ]

Well, some of us aren't voting on the uber-geek scale of game craftsmanship, we're just voting on which games we had the most fun playing. TSB [censored] rules to play against friends. Having a season with a bunch of friends in high school taking each team, while demanding, is probably my greatest videogame memory.

[/ QUOTE ]
OMG I loved playing tictactoe with my brothers and cousins when I was five. That game was so much fun! We would play for hours and keep score, it was so fun. One of my best childhood memories!

Therefore, I have concluded that it is actually the greatest strategy game of all time.

Yes, that's right.

http://lionking.org/~shumbalion/images/tictactoe.jpg
>
http://www.box.eu.org/~dl/go/go.gif

I mean, it's just the better game.

MrWookie47 12-06-2005 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
X-Com has still never been topped at what it does in all these years, not even close.

And I mean that 100% literally. Not even close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. It's unbelievable how a turn based strategy game that's inherently slow paced can have you so much on edge while playing it. There's no feeling like taking on a terror mission at night, stepping out of your craft, and having an alien fire at you from some unknown location.

Blarg 12-06-2005 09:37 PM

That's the problem with OOT polls and threads of this nature.

The question is not which one you played, or had most fun playing. It's which one you think is the best.

They virtually immediately degenerate into favorites, not bests, though. Sometimes favorites parading as bests.

12-06-2005 09:37 PM

Matches 5,6,10,13 all are quite close.

Had a tough time not voting for Tecmo Bowl, but come on, Chrono Trigger deserves to advance.

Eurotrash 12-06-2005 09:40 PM

Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Dragon Warrior, Secret of Mana all losing right now

gay, imo.

12-06-2005 09:47 PM

Whoever said this is turning into favorites vs. bests is absolutely right, but hey, its nostalgia, did you expect something different?

I would hazard a guess that these results show that many many OOT'ers cant stand RPG's

imported_anacardo 12-06-2005 09:48 PM

How in the [censored] can Star Control II be losing to some [censored] like Mortal Kombat. Who the [censored] gives a [censored] about Mortal [censored] Kombat? A joke, you people are.

astroglide 12-06-2005 09:50 PM

i really like old school rpgs. i stopped playing ff7 after the first disc and never went back to it because of a lack of interest. i'd happily replay final fantasy for the snes though. anything along those lines graphically and mechanically (which still happens with game boy rpgs and such).

12-06-2005 09:52 PM

if you havent played ff5, do yourself a favor and go enjoy it, it has the job system seen in final fantasy tactics.

btw, wow, no interest in FF7? I guess I was just the right age or somethin, but it gripped me right from the start, with what I think is one of the best stories ever.

oh well, anyone else feel that way about Cloud and the gang?

Blarg 12-06-2005 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
X-Com has still never been topped at what it does in all these years, not even close.

And I mean that 100% literally. Not even close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. It's unbelievable how a turn based strategy game that's inherently slow paced can have you so much on edge while playing it. There's no feeling like taking on a terror mission at night, stepping out of your craft, and having an alien fire at you from some unknown location.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. This is one of the extremely few games that actually has made me jump when something happened, given me a feeling of authentic fright.

The aliens were vicious and when that zombie making alien suddenly revealed himself by turning a corner it was stark terror because you knew something almost unstoppably horrible and powerful was going to come.

Creeping through those nighttime missions in a darkened store or lonesome field was intensely scary and full of suspense. You always dreaded nighttime missions, but if you put them off, you could lose a city or lose points with the populace or funding or all of it. You couldn't escape the terror!

And I loved that the map generator was random and that you could even play the same savegame of a battle from its beginning and have it turn out much differently. I played a bunch of my favorite battles over again, not because of winning or losing, but because they were so fun.

There was nothing like trying to make it up the stairs without getting your head blown off. The tactical challenges were fantastic, and the lightning fast realtime exchanges in a slow turn-based game were shocking and fun.

And time was handled better than in any game I've ever seen. Auto-fire enabling multiple troops to open up on a guy was great, and misusing it was always a danger. Loved those auto-fire rockets swooping in to annihilate a sector, but maybe blow you up to or knock out the stairs you needed, or engulf you in smoke you couldn't escape in time. So usually rockets weren't good for autofire ... but then you lose initiative. What a friggin great system. Moves and feels like realtime at all the right times, and lets you use so much strategy and tactics at the others. Awesome blend.

The sense of panic that you might go broke, not get your research done in time, that buying too many scientists or soldiers might have been a big mistake, that you might be caught short, that a weak base might be invaded, that an inexperienced crew might cause you to lose a battle or base station or might even get mind-controlled and waste your powerful veterans ...

(sigh) They don't make games like that anymore. They've never made one since.

tonypaladino 12-06-2005 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
day of the tentacle is one of the greatest games of all time, old school or not

a lot of games will be blown out unfairly because of a lack of exposure

[/ QUOTE ]

I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] DOTT

astroglide 12-06-2005 09:58 PM

they're remaking ffv-jpn for the game boy, i can check it out then

12-06-2005 10:01 PM

good, you'll love it.

okay, what OS did DOTT run on? I have a DOS emulator if I need one, and can get yall the details if you need em, just got done playing leisure suit larry, good times.

durron597 12-06-2005 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

(sigh) They don't make games like that anymore. They've never made one since.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except the sequels [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Blarg 12-06-2005 10:04 PM

The sequels stank in comparison. The second one was okay but definitely not as good, and the ones after that were junk.

durron597 12-06-2005 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The sequels stank in comparison. The second one was okay but definitely not as good, and the ones after that were junk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh... I spent a grand total of 5 minutes on Terror From the Deep (just got distracted, didn't play it long enough to get an impression) and didn't touch the other ones.

Phoenix1010 12-06-2005 10:10 PM

This is pretty weak.

durron597 12-06-2005 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is pretty weak.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is, the poll, the seeding, or the results? Or, "durron597 is a totally lame poster".

astroglide 12-06-2005 10:15 PM

all of the lucasarts games run under scummvm

12-06-2005 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is pretty weak.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is, the poll, the seeding, or the results? Or, "durron597 is a totally lame poster".

[/ QUOTE ]

all I heard was "troll".

Mvcode3 12-06-2005 10:19 PM

Masters of Orion 2 should get a shot, way way way way better the MOO.

Soul Daddy 12-06-2005 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The question is not which one you played, or had most fun playing. It's which one you think is the best.

They virtually immediately degenerate into favorites, not bests, though. Sometimes favorites parading as bests.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with your point in general terms. The term best is used quite often in threads like these and favorite would be more applicable.

But in this case, videogames are supposed to be fun. That is their most desireble trait. So, without the expertise required to be a true critic, voting based on which games I consider the most fun and replayable seems like a decent criteria to me.

kiemo 12-06-2005 10:31 PM

Match 16 is near impossible.

Chrono Trigger is probably the best RPG of all time on any console prior to FF7.

And Super Tecmo Bowl is one of the best dorm room games of all time. Course I didnt have the internet in my dorm days.

durron597 12-06-2005 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I only played the first one and loved it... I've heard great things about both. However, the second one is disqualified since it is 1996. (the first one was 1993).

12-06-2005 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with your point in general terms. The term best is used quite often in threads like these and favorite would be more applicable.

But in this case, videogames are supposed to be fun. That is their most desireble trait. So, without the expertise required to be a true critic, voting based on which games I consider the most fun and replayable seems like a decent criteria to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would agree, and go on to say that the only time that fun wouldnt be pertinent is if you polled games based on their market impact... but who wants to do that other than future dev's like me.

No one, thats who.

Blarg 12-06-2005 10:45 PM

Something can be fun or not fun whether it's the best or isn't, and if the best has an element of subjectivity, fun is almost completely subjective, so is a poor pointer to what is best.

Basically you've just got two different questions.

I may love Stratego and have more fun playing it, but without question Chess is a better game, whether I like it or not.

And yes, I like Stratego better than Chess.

durron597 12-06-2005 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Something can be fun or not fun whether it's the best or isn't, and if the best has an element of subjectivity, fun is almost completely subjective, so is a poor pointer to what is best.

Basically you've just got two different questions.

I may love Stratego and have more fun playing it, but without question Chess is a better game, whether I like it or not.

And yes, I like Stratego better than Chess.

[/ QUOTE ]

And X-Com is better than Star Control 2, even though I like Star Control 2 better.

Jeff W 12-06-2005 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The original Master of Orion is the better game. MoO 2 goes over to the micromanagement dark side.

Btw, if anyone wants to play the original game, go here:

http://www.jonsullivan.com/misc/moo.php3

DrSavage 12-06-2005 11:12 PM

Civilization shouldn't get knocked out first round, it ain't right :/

durron597 12-06-2005 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It got a really bad first round seed, I think I might make this double elimination [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

vulturesrow 12-06-2005 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It got a really bad first round seed, I think I might make this double elimination [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that you came up with a solid concept but you need to narrow it down to PC games vs PC games and Console games vs. Console games, maybe even whittle it down into genre.

Blarg 12-06-2005 11:39 PM

Agreed.

Phoenix1010 12-06-2005 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is pretty weak.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

all I heard was "troll".

[/ QUOTE ]

Who are you? Wait, don't answer, just be quiet.

Durron597 is a great poster, but this isn't a great poll. There are too many games that qualify as old school to really make a decent poll on it. You would have to narrow it down some. Some of these are not even the best games in their respective series' (Castelvania, Super Mario 3). And I think random seeding really ruins the purpose of these tournament style polls. It would be much better as a free for all. Good idea, weak execution I say.

12-07-2005 12:19 AM

dude, I know who you are, and I wanted to actually hear your opinion. therefore I call you a troll, you respond with substance.

check.

mate.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

p.s. no hard feelings, right?

durron597 12-07-2005 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There are too many games that qualify as old school to really make a decent poll on it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agree, in retrospect.

[ QUOTE ]
Castelvania

[/ QUOTE ]
Never played it, but remember it had to be 1994 or earlier.

[ QUOTE ]
Super Mario 3

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a matter of opinion, it's certainly close.

[ QUOTE ]

And I think random seeding really ruins the purpose of these tournament style polls.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is your best objection. The problem is that there were so many good games that I was going to have trouble seeding them, and people would have bitched about the seeding... I spent enough time coming up with the list of games, meh. You're probably right. I'll work on rearranging the matches for the round of 16 and I'll make it double elimination, in an attempt to give the good games with bad seeding a chance to do better (like Civilization).

[ QUOTE ]
It would be much better as a free for all.

[/ QUOTE ]
Disagree

[ QUOTE ]
Good idea, execution could be better.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd agree with this statement.

12-07-2005 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There are too many games that qualify as old school to really make a decent poll on it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agree, in retrospect.

[ QUOTE ]
Castelvania

[/ QUOTE ]
Never played it, but remember it had to be 1994 or earlier.

[ QUOTE ]
Super Mario 3

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a matter of opinion, it's certainly close.

[ QUOTE ]

And I think random seeding really ruins the purpose of these tournament style polls.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is your best objection. The problem is that there were so many good games that I was going to have trouble seeding them, and people would have bitched about the seeding... I spent enough time coming up with the list of games, meh. You're probably right. I'll work on rearranging the matches for the round of 16 and I'll make it double elimination, in an attempt to give the good games with bad seeding a chance to do better (like Civilization).

[ QUOTE ]
It would be much better as a free for all.

[/ QUOTE ]
Disagree

[ QUOTE ]
Good idea, execution could be better.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd agree with this statement.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only way you could have executed this better would have taken too long, and been cumbersome (i.e. a poll about which mario game was better, which castlevania was better) or multiple polls about genres and then people would bitch more...

I say stick with it.

BadBoyBenny 12-07-2005 12:43 AM

Punch out, Super Mario Cart, Zelda, and Civilization all should be winners. This is tough.

Exitonly 12-07-2005 12:50 AM

Wow Secret of Mana is one of the best SNES games. (up there with Link to the Past)

COME ON SECRET OF MANA.

12-07-2005 12:55 AM

The fact that Dune 2 is getting so little love is making me very sad. a)So much fun. b)Look what it unleashed.

12-07-2005 12:57 AM

The crazy thing is that there are a ton of really good important games that arent listed, but hey you gotta feel for durron, this type of thing is so hard to put all together while minimizing bitching.

kudos.