Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Official December goals post (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=387517)

kurosh 11-29-2005 03:57 PM

Re: Official December goals post

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Whatever limit I can. My roll is at 11k now so I'm comfortably playing 10/20. I expect I'll move up to 15/30 regularly within a day or two.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow trying to win 30k with an 11k roll is pretty ambitious.

[/ QUOTE ]Meh, I ran this up from 2k in 2 weeks WITHOUT playing underrolled for once. I figure, if I run well and play a lot, I'll be in the 15/30 in 2-3 days, then hopefully bigger than that in the next week or two. Once I get there, 30k should be no problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you admit you have a tilt problem, why are you setting such an anbitious goal. wont it just make you even more pissed if you dont reach it? wont it cause you to play when you arent capable of playing well to reach the goal?

monetary goals are dumb. they only lead to frustration

[/ QUOTE ]I have made a lot of changes, which I think have helped me get this much. No more tilt. I *ONLY* play when I am at the top of my game and only play at tables where I feel completely in control. As a goal, it's just something nice I'd like to have happen. It won't bother me if I don't reach it.

Subby 11-29-2005 04:11 PM

1) No more than 500 hands per night
2) Stay out of 30/60 until I am properly rolled
3) Stop wasting money on tourneys
4) Read more Tommy Angelo

jph0424 11-29-2005 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
im surprised youd go back for your MBA (assuming youre finishing up your undergrad degree). not only is it rare but ive talked to some people who did that and each of them said they wished they had gotten more business experience first. i wouldve loved to do this, which is why im asking

that said, its pretty refreshing that someone isnt choosing between poker and a job for a change. and i know that makes me a hypocrite

[/ QUOTE ]

I could go back and get my MBA right away because I did well on my GMAT and have a good GPA. I have also heard from numerous sources that working for a couple of years is better but I would have far more time to play cards (at a really nice hourly) if I were in business school. If I go the consulting route I would still go back for my MBA after 2-3 years but I do not know what the state of online poker will be. It is a tough call that I only have a couple more weeks to make.

ghostface 11-29-2005 04:19 PM

30k is 33k hands at 3bb/100.

Good luck.

bugstud 11-29-2005 04:41 PM

1. play some hands for once, like 2k/day at least until I go home
2. buy a [censored] laptop
3. have a good holidays
4. rock ass on my january goals that will run from 4th-11th

pecto 11-29-2005 04:44 PM

1. 25k hands of 10/20, + 10k hands other levels
2. Make $10k
3. go to the gym 5 times a week
4. try to go to class for first time since the semester started ( this will be hard)
5. if i fail on the last one, at least study 2 hours a day for the february exams.

baronzeus 11-29-2005 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

oh yeah, stop [censored] tilting. two 180+ dowswings in 3 days have raped me tilt wise. need to work on that

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you been playing a lot of HU on these days?

-Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

yep. stupid runner runners [censored]

Surfbullet 11-29-2005 06:24 PM

December goals:

1. 5hrs of poker a day, on days where I play(not "vacation" days)
2. 4 out of 5 hours in each day tilt-free (preferably 5 out of 5)
3. Keep improving my game
4. Take shots at 30/60 when my BR is ready

Surf

Jeff W 11-29-2005 06:33 PM

1. Play 90 hours before I visit AZ on 12/23.
2. Close the cashier and pokertracker results while playing.
3. Cease non-poker activities(especially AIM and twoplustwo) while playing.
4. Play more shorthanded LHE.
5. Play fewer tables.

11-29-2005 06:40 PM

1) Suck less.
2) Mise more.

ddubois 11-29-2005 06:56 PM

Stop tilting at 10/20. For some reason this level diturbs me emotionally.

MAxx 11-29-2005 07:51 PM

1)Have another month of not spending my roll like November.

2)60 hrs

3) Kiss 5/10 goodbye for the last time...has been somewhat dependant on #1

4) Get a new avator

TheMetetron 11-29-2005 07:53 PM

-25 hours a week
-Start 8-12 tabling 10/20
-Make $13k (I'm going low this month because it will round out my yearly earn quite nice).

Lmn55d 11-29-2005 07:56 PM

is there any particular reason you plan to 8-12 table 10-20 instead of just moving up in limits? I'd guess that someone who is capable of beating 10/20 playing that many tables can be a winner at 15/30.

Playing that many tables must be incredibly stressful and draining. 5-6 is already pretty tough for me.

I only ask because I am planning on moving up to 15/30 soon and am curious.

TheMetetron 11-29-2005 08:00 PM

Erm, yeah there is. Unfortunately, I can't really say why. But it's more profitable to me.

Yeah, it's stressful.

JohnnyHumongous 11-29-2005 08:04 PM

I 9-tabled 10/20 for a few thousand hands over the weekend to try out the Party Beta. I think I was down over the period... didn't feel so great so I went down to 6-tabling since then. I am worn down mentally like 90% of the time though due to my stressful job and sleep deprivation, and I believe that if I were 100% mentally that 9 tables for a good rate is doable.

mute 11-29-2005 08:09 PM

1. Must think before click.
2. Learn to love the fold button as much as the rest of them (More specifically, stop making so many [censored] stupid calldowns at 10/20, when I'm nearly sure I'm beat).
3. Continue running good.

EDIT: 4. Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Post more, and analyze my game more. I've been getting sloppy.

kurosh 11-29-2005 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Erm, yeah there is. Unfortunately, I can't really say why. But it's more profitable to me.

Yeah, it's stressful.

[/ QUOTE ]Is it the first rule of fight club?

TheMetetron 11-29-2005 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2. Learn to love the fold button as much as the rest of them (More specifically, stop making so many [censored] stupid calldowns at 10/20, when I'm nearly sure I'm beat).

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a goal similiar to this that is hard to achieve.

I've got the folding down, but now I'm getting run-over on sites with a small player base. Also, I have trouble folding once I have a hand but his only reasonable hands beat me.

Basically, I need to stop being a sucker and just play right. I haven't done much of that in that last 2 weeks.

TheMetetron 11-29-2005 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's stressful.

[/ QUOTE ]Is it the first rule of fight club?

[/ QUOTE ]

Something like that.

Also, I have a new goal.

Take more money off kurosh-fish [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

kurosh 11-29-2005 08:31 PM

GL, according to my PT, I am up on you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

TheMetetron 11-29-2005 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
GL, according to my PT, I am up on you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Rigged!

NLSoldier 11-29-2005 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is there any particular reason you plan to 8-12 table 10-20 instead of just moving up in limits? I'd guess that someone who is capable of beating 10/20 playing that many tables can be a winner at 15/30.

Playing that many tables must be incredibly stressful and draining. 5-6 is already pretty tough for me.

I only ask because I am planning on moving up to 15/30 soon and am curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe because 10/20 is SOFT AS [censored]. holy crap i cant bleive how bad they are. 10/20 might be the most profitable game onall of party. but shhhhhh its our little secret .

DeathDonkey 11-29-2005 08:59 PM

I think more likely he has to play on a certain site where game selection above 10/20 is spotty at best.

-DeathDonkey

B00T 11-29-2005 09:12 PM

1. Make the permenant move to 10-20 full time and stop being afraid.

2. Post 15 good hands for comments that will have more than 5 replies each.

3. Move into my condo and not spend too much on stuff I dont need.

TheMetetron 11-29-2005 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3. Move into my condo and not spend too much on stuff I dont need.

[/ QUOTE ]

New one for me.

In the past week and a half I've blown money on... An IPod nano, 42" Plasma HDTV, Yamaha 5.1 channel surround sound system, 7 night Mexican Riviera Cruise, new dell computer with 24" widescreen monitor, and plane tickets to Tuscanny. Needless to say, I gotta stop spending money like this.

lastcoyote 11-29-2005 09:44 PM

1. Play 20K hands.
2. STAY at 10/20. Don't go UP or DOWN.
3. Start telecommuting 2-3 days/week so I'm not wasting 2+ hours a day in the car and out at lunch.
4. Find XBOX 360 for my step son for Christmas.
5. Post more so the "lurker haters" won't hate me. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

ggbman 11-29-2005 09:52 PM

1.) Get in 25k hands despite finals
2.) Make more than 40k
3.) Run good at 25/50 NL and incorporate that consistently into my playing regime
4.) Keep running good
5.) Have a 3.0 for the first semester

NLSoldier 11-29-2005 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

3.) Run good at 25/50 NL and incorporate that consistently into my playing regime

[/ QUOTE ]

GL <*(((><

Victor 11-29-2005 10:20 PM

i just want to make some money in this stupid game.

tolbiny 11-29-2005 11:14 PM

then you shouldn't have wasted that grand like you did today. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

RunDownHouse 11-30-2005 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
A 3.0 is incredibly easy, regardless of your school. There might be a select few majors at a select few schools (read: complex engineering at a top 5 engineering undergrad) where it is somewhat difficult, but outside of those, a 3.0 should be a minimum, not a goal.

Gabe, I've come to respect certain aspects of your personality through what I've read here. I wouldn't be at all surprised if you blew off school in order to make a ridiculous amount of money with poker. I would be impressed if you blew off some amount of poker in order to take classes that interested you.

obsidian 11-30-2005 02:47 AM

1.) Play 25k hands at 10/20
2.) Get ready for a big ass tax bill
3.) Don't run bad
4.) Get my bankroll ready to start off next year at 15/30

Subfallen 11-30-2005 03:06 AM

Umm...tilt less.

75k hands, $30k, maybe even play better.

But I doubt the last one.

ggbman 11-30-2005 03:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
A 3.0 is incredibly easy, regardless of your school. There might be a select few majors at a select few schools (read: complex engineering at a top 5 engineering undergrad) where it is somewhat difficult, but outside of those, a 3.0 should be a minimum, not a goal.

Gabe, I've come to respect certain aspects of your personality through what I've read here. I wouldn't be at all surprised if you blew off school in order to make a ridiculous amount of money with poker. I would be impressed if you blew off some amount of poker in order to take classes that interested you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I appreciate this adivce, and you are absoltley right, a 3.0 should be a piece of cake. The problem i am having is that as a freshman, my hands are somewhat tied in regards to what courses i can take. While i have a passion for business, the material we cover is stupidly mundane and there is nothing that is hands on. I don't tend to get interested in being lectured, i like getting my hands dirty and figuring stuff out, which i havent had the oppurtunity to do yet in school.

Part of me knows that i need to keep all the doors open, but i'm not going to lie, it's extremely difficult to maintain motivation for school when a good month of poker is more than i will make in a year coming out of undergrad or even grad school. I think i can force myself to get a little more ambitious, but it's a process, the amount of $$$ to be made is a shock to anyone, let alone an 18 year old who worked for $7.10 an hour a year ago. I would like to think i have great perspective and whatnot, but lets face it, i'm a kid and money skews my perspective on things.

I am determined to stay in school, and hopefully i will be able to find an appropriate balance. My ideal scenario is that i make enough from poker to start my own businesses and become a real estate mogul, but the truth is i have no idea where i will be 4 years from now. Regardless, i appreciate your comments, it's always good to have reality checks, because from time to time i need them.

Gabe

goofball 11-30-2005 05:38 AM

1. Move up to 15/30
2. Test people, know when they pass.
3 Play more stud8
4. Start preparing for the LSAT
5. Exercise 20 days.

Monetary target: $10k

I've had hand goals before, but I feel pushing myself to play and meet them when I'm not feeling it is -EV. No posting goals because I'm happy with my amount. I'm calling the $ goal a target hopefully to remind myself that it's just that. Goals are entirely within my control, monetary targets are not.

1. Speaks for itself but I'll feel comfortable soon.

2. Simple and straightforward. First, a lot of the time the other guy has nothing, put him to the test and find out. Second, betting and raising is better than calling. Third, folding is easier if we've done something in the hand.

3. Stud8 is an interesting game and I still suck at it. I remember reading that the very good player can expect to win the large majority of sessions. I think being a very good stud8 player would be a good way to fight holdem swings.

4. Going to take it on 2/6/06, going to do very well(175+), must be well and extensively prepared.

5. Getting too fat, must see lots of people over the holidays, must trim up.

BottlesOf 11-30-2005 04:25 PM

After 6 weeks of very intermittant to no play, I want to put forth some goals here.

-Finish King Yao's Book (finally).
-Play 12K hands (not a lot but the most for a month in a while)
-Play happily rakeback free. I don't wanna worry or think about rakeback, and I want to play to get better and win some money.
-Stick to successful limits to avoid tilty. I will try and limit myself to 10/20 and 15/30 where I have enjoyed success in the past and stay away from 20 which has pragged me. Just for this month.
-Post/reply to hands again. This is the most important. I want to post at least 15 hands this month that help me as a player. I also want to reply to more.

MAxx 11-30-2005 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
-Finish King Yao's Book (finally).

[/ QUOTE ]

Took me a while too, not sure why.

ggbman 12-01-2005 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1.) Get in 25k hands despite finals
2.) Make more than 40k
4.) Keep running good

[/ QUOTE ]

I am changing the monetary goal to 100k.

Wynton 12-01-2005 11:21 PM

Move to 10/20.

(It's my goal for December, just not necessarily THIS December.)