Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   squash (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=387187)

Ulysses 11-30-2005 06:23 AM

Re: squash

daryn,

Are you familiar with the Quick Reply feature? You should give it a try.

Helpfully yours,
El Diablo

daryn 11-30-2005 06:24 AM

ok..

nice!

housenuts 11-30-2005 06:30 AM

play squash for a bit. you will quickly realize racquetball is for amateurs.

as for a $5,000 bet it is enticing. i don't exactly have the money for that but if i ever do i'll look you up. this is probably a +ev spot for backers.

one day daryn we will be at the same poker tourney and we'll meet up for a game.

daryn 11-30-2005 06:33 AM

btw i have nothing against squash, and would play it. i watched the video and it seemed like the guys always hit it so high up on the wall. where are the kill shots? no ceiling ball? back wall? bah!

housenuts 11-30-2005 06:44 AM

no ceiling, but you can use the back wall.

evil_twin 11-30-2005 08:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tennis is way better.
Spins actually do something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those who say Tennis is better just haven't played squash. Tennis is a good game, I used to play a lot, but very different. It's nice to be outside, but it's like going for a long walk compared to going for a long run. Very different games. All that time between games, clearing balls up etc, makes it much slower.

You proved you never played squash (or hardly ever) by suggesting that spins don't do anything in squash. Drop shots and topspin are used just as much.

housenuts 11-30-2005 08:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

i probably weigh at least 50 lbs. more than him

[/ QUOTE ]

i've been trying to sleep for the past hour but i can't. i just thought of something funny too. if you weigh 50 lbs. more than me no way you can beat me in almost any physical activity.

11-30-2005 09:59 AM

I dunno, I weigh 265 and unless you're D1 A bball player, I would bet anything on earth that I would smoke you in one-on-one.

sry for teh mini hijack, but that statement reeks of not true.

hmm, where would I be able to go to check out this... squaaashh? a typical gym?

housenuts 11-30-2005 12:33 PM

you don't way 50 lbs. more than me

stoxtrader 11-30-2005 01:10 PM

The amount of calories burned in squash is directly corelated to your level of play - the better you are, the more you burn because the points last longer. pro matches can sometimes become a test of will as much as skill.

raccquetball is also a fun sport, better for novices imo, and easier to get competent at.

I have played a fair amount of both and much prefer squash if there is a decent game - i would compare the workout to wrestling, boxing or swimming sprints, for a good squash singles player. I think i would prefer racquetball if my opponent was a novice though. but either was is fine, you can play squash in such a way as to entirely and sadistically maxmimize the amount of running your lesser skilled opponent does, with the point ending only when he refuses to run anymore, not when either of you hits a winner (or rarely anyways).

If anyone in NYC is decent at squash and looking for a game, PM me.

DeadMoneyOC 11-30-2005 01:20 PM

I played squash my freshman year of college. We almost went to the national championship but apparently Duke took our spot. I play a horrible game but my team was filled with a couple Indian dudes who were pretty nasty. We played in the Rhode Island league btw. RIISA or something like that?> Lots of fun, If I still went to school in RI I would definitly play. Squash kept me in amazing shape.

Runner Runner 11-30-2005 02:00 PM

I prefer squash over racquetball when I am playing another player that is at my level. The game has great action, more intense points and it's a great workout.

I find that I don't enjoy the game when I am playing someone who is a level or 2 higher or lower then me. The points aren't long enough and it is not a great workout. I think that racquetball would be a preferable in these circumstances, when the person you are playing plays at a different level then you, the bouncier ball would at least allow for some longer points to be played and a good workout for both players.

housenuts 11-30-2005 02:03 PM

this is very true. it's not fun playing someone who is no good. basically you can get by with barely having to run at all and just watch them run around like a monkey.

i've never played someone that much better than me that it wasn't fun, but i'm sure there's many people that would just embarass me.

beckham9 11-30-2005 04:04 PM

one key difference which I think says a lot about the games is that they better you get at squash, the longer and more intricate the points become. While the better you get at raquetball the shorter the points become becaues both players become so good at killing the ball.

Becuase it is difficult to kill the ball in squash, you have to move your opponent out of position before you can hit a clean winner, either by hitting a good shot to the front and then hitting a winner to the back, or by hitting good length which sets up an easy shot to the front.

Part of the fun of squash is that slowing down the ball is an effective strategy, using a lob and drop, unlike in raquetball where these shots do not exist except as extreme defensive measures. You don't just have to bash the ball

daryn 11-30-2005 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i've been trying to sleep for the past hour but i can't. i just thought of something funny too. if you weigh 50 lbs. more than me no way you can beat me in almost any physical activity.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're simply incorrect. i don't know how else to say it

edited to say i guess i'm not 50 lbs. more than you

housenuts 11-30-2005 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you're simply incorrect. i don't know how else to say it

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, if you beef up to 270, what sport do you think you could beat me in?

EliteNinja 12-01-2005 05:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tennis is way better.
Spins actually do something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those who say Tennis is better just haven't played squash. Tennis is a good game, I used to play a lot, but very different. It's nice to be outside, but it's like going for a long walk compared to going for a long run. Very different games. All that time between games, clearing balls up etc, makes it much slower.

You proved you never played squash (or hardly ever) by suggesting that spins don't do anything in squash. Drop shots and topspin are used just as much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. I've never played squash in my life. I'd definitely like to try though.

Tennis doubles is definitely slowass. And it's hard for beginners to get rallies going.

chisness 12-01-2005 06:30 AM

is it just me or is it considerably harder to find a squash court than a raquetball one?

GuyOnTilt 12-01-2005 06:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought this was gonna be another cooking thread...

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/5...dsquash4uw.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]
Me too. I just watched the squash Iron Chef this weekend. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

GoT

housenuts 12-01-2005 06:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
is it just me or is it considerably harder to find a squash court than a raquetball one?

[/ QUOTE ]

probably just you. my university has 7 squash courts, and 2 racquetball courts. most gyms around here only have squash courts.

edtost 12-01-2005 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

probably just you. my university has 7 squash courts, and 2 racquetball courts. most gyms around here only have squash courts.

[/ QUOTE ]

it varies; my school has eleventy-billion squash courts but there aren't any racketball courts anywhere near here, at home, i can find about even numbers of each.

on an unrelated note, badminton courts are impossible to find.