Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Multi-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   What's up with Swedish/Norweigen players??? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=378143)

11-15-2005 01:01 PM

Re: What\'s up with Swedish/Norweigen players???

I've played cash games against some of them. Sometimes, no problem. And sometimes, I get raised out of the hand pf and then it's checked down by two players.

Makes me wonder. No conclusions though.

JonLines 11-15-2005 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you lived in that landof ice and snow, you'd play a lot more poker. And you'd take it much more seriously too, because poker may be your ticket out of there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Were you kidding there? Who needs a ticket out of the highest ranked countires in education, economy and pretty much every ranking known to man? Scandinavian countries are the prototype that every other country in the world should aspire to copy, even (and maybe especially) the great United State of America.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just take a look at the HDI index, HDI

Norway first, Sweden second

JonLines 11-15-2005 01:19 PM

Also Sweden doesn't start school til the age of 7. England starts at 5. And by the age of 12 they are already way ahead in Maths, there not even allowed to use calculators til the age of 16 so those pot odds are going to be worked out fast!

Yuv 11-15-2005 01:21 PM

btw, Lee Jones made a comment about this in the 215$ last week, when 4 out of the last 5 guys were from the same city (Houston). Something along the lines of 'that's amazing, unless you told me you were all from Oslo'.

KINGOFINLAND 11-15-2005 01:26 PM

Too bad Finland isin't on top of that. Thankfully our lovely country does well in two other comparsions: 3rd in guns ownership per 100 people after USA and Yemen.
And 10th in the suicide ranks.

sirio11 11-15-2005 01:27 PM

Thanks for the link, pretty interesting info.

JonLines 11-15-2005 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the link, pretty interesting info.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just noticed I linked the 2002 Stats, heres the 2005 Human Development Index 2005

Page 11

Norway's still 1st, Sweden is now 6th.

And for all of you in good old USA, you will be please to see you are in 10th....

JonLines 11-15-2005 01:39 PM

Im not very good at this, that was 2005's report, 2003 data, guess it takes them a while to work out.

Indiana 11-15-2005 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Were you kidding there? Who needs a ticket out of the highest ranked countires in education, economy and pretty much every ranking known to man? Scandinavian countries are the prototype that every other country in the world should aspire to copy, even (and maybe especially) the great United State of America.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah, but can you carry around a Glock 9mm on your belt?

Indy

Yuv 11-15-2005 01:55 PM

Ha, screw you Greece, Singapore and Slovenia, we're #23!

Ugh.

JonLines 11-15-2005 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah, but can you carry around a Glock 9mm on your belt?

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't Norway have the same ammount of guns per person as the USA? Thought i remembered something being mentioned in Bowling for Columbine.... Plus they have less restrictions on what guns they can own, and still they have a lower murder rate.

MonkeeMan 11-15-2005 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Alas, none of the above crack the top 10 of most sexually active countries. Kudos to France, Greece, and the United Kingdom (among others). [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

JonLines 11-15-2005 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Alas, none of the above crack the top 10 of most sexually active countries. Kudos to France, Greece, and the United Kingdom (among others). [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Durex Most Sexually Active Countries

UK in 9th [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

And those French are just liers.....

Yuv 11-15-2005 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Durex Most Sexually Active Countries

UK in 9th [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

And those French are just liers.....

[/ QUOTE ]

We're tied with USA, but the girls here are far more beautiful, so it's quality sex [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

11-15-2005 03:20 PM

The real reason?

http://www.swedishbikiniteam.com/images/swed.jpg

Great tilt relief.

11-15-2005 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course, my estimate of 100/3500 entrants could be too low.

[/ QUOTE ]

familiarize yourself with scandanavian goegraphy and you'll realize there are WAY more than 100 entrants in the sunday tourneys from these countries...

11-15-2005 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, are there any objective rankings of the average education or intelligence level of Scandanavians or Sweden/Norway vs. other parts of the world?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm part Swede so maybe I can relate a bit. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Just my own wrong opinion, but I don't think the Scands are necessarily any smarter on average than anyone else. I do think they are more studious and generally better students than people in the states and more receptive to instruction. They treat their teachers as experts, hold them in high regard, and then believe and practice what they are being taught. I think this boils over into poker. They study furiously, believe what they study and then put it into practice.

Whether or not there are any collaboration schemes going on is anyone's guess. Being a technologist, I can easily envision scenarios in which a relatively modest investment could produce an untraceable collaborative virtual or physical environment.

Of course something like that is against the sites' rules and completely unethical. But it is only a problem with the sites if you get caught. The technology won't fail in this kind of setup. Only greed and stupidity would cause people to get caught.

As far as the legalities, I'm no lawyer but I would really question whether or not something like this would constitute wire fraud in the states or elsewhere. The actual transactions are taking place offshore. The enforcement would have to come from the offshore location. For the host government to get involved, they would have to be invited in by the offshore government. IMHO, this is the last thing in the world these offshore sites want, to have the US or other government get involved. It is the first step towards mass regulation, taxation, etc.

Bottom line, it is not easy but definitely possible to put together a fairly sophisticated and untraceable cheating scheme. It's like everything else in the world. Caveat emptor. Play at your own risk.

Indiana 11-15-2005 04:08 PM

Guys please forgive me, but anytime I see these types of trends relating to groups of nationalities I become suspicious. I know that americans/EUs are very forgiving and tend to overlook these types of schemes but as a poker player I find it necessary to hold the game to a high standard.

This would not be the first time that I uncovered such a scheme. A few yrs ago I was on the graduate admissions program for the graduate statistics dept at a certain large university. Well, make a long story short, anybody who has been to college and taken a statistics course was probably taught by a chinese TA. Now I'm no racist and I have no problem with the fact that the Chinese math/stats students are very far ahead in mathematics than any other country in the world. Problem was, their GRE Verbal scores were all coming in at a perfect 800 while mine was at 600. It just didn't make sense either as I would get emails from them over in China that were like "How u be in amerika?" None of them could even communicate when they got here. Lo and behold, we found out that the company making the exams was using recycled tests and a large group of students from Peking university had gotten hold of them and commited them to memory. Of course, nothing was ever done about it.

Indy

11-15-2005 04:13 PM

if you wanted to make money colluding, the HARDEST way to do it would be in 3300 person tournaments...

stokken 11-15-2005 04:50 PM

This is pathetic and i didnt think I would see a thread like this on the forum

CardSharpCook 11-15-2005 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is pathetic and i didnt think I would see a thread like this on the forum

[/ QUOTE ]

Crackpots and idiots exist in every profession.

Skjonne 11-15-2005 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Of course, my estimate of 100/3500 entrants could be too low.

[/ QUOTE ]

familiarize yourself with scandanavian goegraphy and you'll realize there are WAY more than 100 entrants in the sunday tourneys from these countries...

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, OK. So I counted them while 4-tabling MTT's. Get a life blah blah yada yada....

Latest sunday tourney on Stars: 3,332 players

116 Swedes
112 Norwegians
46 Finns
43 Danes
6 Dudes from Iceland

A total of 323 Scandi-Nordic people or 10%

And I must have missed a lot, the real number is probably more like 350

Indiana 11-15-2005 05:20 PM

Now I'm a crackpot eh? I dont disagree with that assessment but I'm not an idiot man. Either way, I never intended this thread to be so long with so many responses. Makes u think.

Indy

MonkeeMan 11-15-2005 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now I'm a crackpot eh? I dont disagree with that assessment but I'm not an idiot man. Either way, I never intended this thread to be so long with so many responses. Makes u think.

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

How long did you intend for it to be?

Melchiades 11-15-2005 06:13 PM

Seriously. What kind of edge do you think a group of 10 players colluding in a 3500 player MTT will have? An EV increase of 0.2%? Less?

Arnfinn Madsen 11-15-2005 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't Norway have the same ammount of guns per person as the USA? Thought i remembered something being mentioned in Bowling for Columbine.... Plus they have less restrictions on what guns they can own, and still they have a lower murder rate.

[/ QUOTE ]

We can have guns if we i.e. hunt, but it is illegal to carry any weapon on you. What do you really need a gun for, you really think it could save you in tough situation? I have been in 3 situations (2 abroad) where guns have been pointed, and in none of the 3 situations did it have the intended effect. One dude in Norway pointed a gun at me in the street in Oslo, and I got so angry that I attacked him, I think it is the same way many would react, it is contrary to human nature to allowed to be intimidated that way.

MonkeeMan 11-15-2005 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One dude in Norway pointed a gun at me in the street in Oslo, and I got so angry that I attacked him, I think it is the same way many would react, it is contrary to human nature to allowed to be intimidated that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Over here, you'd be dead.

Arnfinn Madsen 11-15-2005 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One dude in Norway pointed a gun at me in the street in Oslo, and I got so angry that I attacked him, I think it is the same way many would react, it is contrary to human nature to allowed to be intimidated that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pulling a gun is only 10%. Firing it is a very difficult psychologically.

Melchiades 11-15-2005 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it is the same way many would react, it is contrary to human nature to allowed to be intimidated that way.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think thats not the way most react. Most get scared, piss their pants and turn over whatever the dude holding a gun wants. Anyone with half a brain at least. No offense. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

JonLines 11-15-2005 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In England you would give up and say 'Ok, I did see a fox, he went that way'

dogsballs 11-16-2005 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you lived in that landof ice and snow, you'd play a lot more poker. And you'd take it much more seriously too, because poker may be your ticket out of there. Don't Swedes have a redicullus tax rate too? Perhaps gambling income isn't taxed? Scandanavian players who see this, can you tell us about your tax situation?

[/ QUOTE ]

Great standard of living in scandinavia and 95% of the women are super hot. You would want to leave..?