Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Wrestling Angles that worked (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=370201)

kbfc 11-02-2005 09:30 AM

Re: Wrestling Angles that worked

It's been awhile since I've watched, as it got real stale about 3 or 4 years ago, but my favorite moment was probably when HHH and Stephanie McMahon were having their little wedding ceremony in the ring, and the crowd was drowning out everything they said with SCSA "WHAT?" chants.

A wedding. In the middle of a wrestling ring. With 12k people shouting "WHAT?" after every line. Surreal television.

Close 2nd: Mae Young giving birth to a hand. Oh. My. God.

daryn 11-02-2005 09:50 AM

i remember king harley race vs. JYD, he refused to bow to the king and then they had a king match where the loser had to bow to the winner who was wearing the crown and robe. plus JYD rules!

4_2_it 11-02-2005 10:00 AM

Watching George the Animal Steele eat the turn buckle was entertaining (admittedly not as entertaining as his Ed Wood role).

I watched a lot of NWA growing up in the early '80's and loved Dusty Rhodes. Every time he got 'suspended' the Midnight Rider would mysteriously appear.

The Four Horseman storyline was good with Barry Winham turning into a bad guy.

Anything with Ric Flair ("You may not like it, but you better learn to love it!! WOOOO!") was always entertaining.

Bunkhouse and lumberjack matches were great.

My all-time favorite announcer was Goron Solie(RIP). He was a bout 5'8" and 140lbs soaking wet and he usually got 'hit' at least one a year by a bad guy. Seeing him int he neck brace for next 6 weeks was excellent.

Hope this isn't too 'Old School' for you guys.

BDarch 11-02-2005 10:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Rock and Sock connection.

[/ QUOTE ]

o man i totally forgot about that, that was awesome

I also really liked when Kane first showed up and him eventually lighting Undertaker on fire in a casket and then undertakers evnetual ressurection

IndieMatty 11-02-2005 10:16 AM

The only right thing they did in the post merger era was Austin and Angle, and Austin and RVD, thats some great stuff.

Most recently, Edge/Hardy worked but they blew their load and of course buried Hardy.

Soul Daddy 11-02-2005 10:39 AM

I'll never forget when I learned the term "larynx." Randy Savage draped Ricky Steamboat across the railing and came down off the top rope with the ring bell across his throat. That that stayed with me for a while. I was pretty traumatized. And pretty hooked when it led to my favorite match ever.

Also, the Survivor Series tournament where The Rock became the Corporate Champion was a booking masterpiece that set in motion the greatest 6 month run of television that I can recall.

IndieMatty 11-02-2005 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, the Survivor Series tournament where The Rock became the Corporate Champion was a booking masterpiece that set in motion the greatest 6 month run of television that I can recall.

[/ QUOTE ]

The preceding weeks with the Rock going tweener and fan favorite should be included, but I totally agree. Pinnacle of booking.

Soul Daddy 11-02-2005 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The preceding weeks with the Rock going tweener and fan favorite should be included, but I totally agree. Pinnacle of booking.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah. They used the entire time between SummerSlam and Survivor Series to set up for that one night. Shane-o was on Austin's side, Mankind being groomed as Vince's champ, Vince hated The Rock because he was "the People's Champ", etc... All swerves and they all worked, which seems pretty much impossible these days. Good stuff.

IndieMatty 11-02-2005 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah. They used the entire time between SummerSlam and Survivor Series to set up for that one night. Shane-o was on Austin's side, Mankind being groomed as Vince's champ, Vince hated The Rock because he was "the People's Champ", etc... All swerves and they all worked, which seems pretty much impossible these days. Good stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd really like to watch this again for the first time. Like more than anything. sigh...

11-02-2005 10:57 AM

Anything involving Kurt Angle. Anything. Dude's awesome. Giving you one specific, back when Steffie didn't have tits the size of my head, the tease that Angle would steal her from HHH. Solid angle, great matches. Kurt's the man.

One that they started out so inredibly well but [censored] up beyond belief was ECfnW uniting. All they had to do was make ECW the faces, but no. Vince couldn't swallow his pride.

IndieMatty 11-02-2005 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Anything involving Kurt Angle. Anything. Dude's awesome. Giving you one specific, back when Steffie didn't have tits the size of my head, the tease that Angle would steal her from HHH. Solid angle, great matches. Kurt's the man.

One that they started out so inredibly well but [censored] up beyond belief was ECfnW uniting. All they had to do was make ECW the faces, but no. Vince couldn't swallow his pride.

[/ QUOTE ]

ECW and Paul Heyman coming out on Raw has to be the best Raw moment of all time.

Soul Daddy 11-02-2005 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
That storyline was fantastic until you realize that it had zero payoff.

11-02-2005 11:16 AM

Unfortunately, that's true. There was no payoff. But the question was what angles made me want to see more, and that angle certainly did.

Normally proportioned Steffie was hot, man. Now she's just so... not.

samjjones 11-02-2005 12:10 PM

Not angles, but just some random things off the top of my head:

1) Steiner Bros. get driven off the road by the nWo. Best moment in the history of wrestling as far as I'm concerned.
2) HHH marries a knocked out Stephanie McMahon in Vegas drive through.
3) DX invades WCW headquarters in Atlanta
4) All the nWo stuff was great early on, especially when Scott Hall dropped the TV title in the garbage can. Hey yo, indeed.
5) The original "This Is Your Life" for the Rock.
6) Hulk Hogan wakes up Gene Okerlund to go training with him.
7) HHH has sex with a corpse
8) Big Bossman eats Al Snow's dog
9) Big Bossman drags Big Show's fathers coffin around the cemetary from the back of a truck
10) Rock's limo gets creamed by a semi driven by Stone Cold

Soul Daddy 11-02-2005 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
9) Big Bossman drags Big Show's fathers coffin around the cemetary from the back of a truck

[/ QUOTE ]

You enjoyed these? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

samjjones 11-02-2005 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You enjoyed these? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh yeah! They were so completely stupid and over the top, I found it impossible NOT to enjoy them. It really was a high water mark in the "anything goes" era of sports entertainment.

J-Lo 11-02-2005 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Any time they get some midgets in there and its 4 midgets vs 1 regular guy

[/ QUOTE ]

I LOLed at this, they're called luchadors

4_2_it 11-02-2005 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Any time they get some midgets in there and its 4 midgets vs 1 regular guy

[/ QUOTE ]

I LOLed at this, they're called luchadors

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty soon it will be a gym full of 5-year olds vs one guy.

canis582 11-02-2005 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have tried to watch it recently, but it just doesn't hold the same appeal. I think its fun until you realize they just keep repeating the same gimmicks and story lines.

[/ QUOTE ]

Buy tapes from this guy: www.wrestletapes.net PM me for reccomendations. No, I don't know him, but hes a good dealer.

[censored] 11-02-2005 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1) Steiner Bros. get driven off the road by the nWo. Best moment in the history of wrestling as far as I'm concerned.
4) All the nWo stuff was great early on, especially when Scott Hall dropped the TV title in the garbage can. Hey yo, indeed.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're pretty much the reason I can't stand wrestling 80% of the time. I hated every single one of those angles and actually wish I could live in an alternate universe where these never happened. Its things like this which in my opinion give wrestling a bad name beyond that fact that it is "fake"

Any good TV show needs to have a sense of believability to it which allows the audience to buy into the product. This goes for shows like 24 as well as wrestling. What angles like the above do is take wrestling from being a drama to being a something resembling looney toons cartoons.

IMO these are angles which I would say did NOT work and should have been scapped all together.

samjjones 11-02-2005 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're pretty much the reason I can't stand wrestling 80% of the time. I hated every single one of those angles and actually wish I could live in an alternate universe where these never happened. Its things like this which in my opinion give wrestling a bad name beyond that fact that it is "fake"

Any good TV show needs to have a sense of believability to it which allows the audience to buy into the product. This goes for shows like 24 as well as wrestling. What angles like the above do is take wrestling from being a drama to being a something resembling looney toons cartoons.

IMO these are angles which I would say did NOT work and should have been scapped all together.

[/ QUOTE ]
And you are the reason TNA exists today. There is a market for everybody.

IndieMatty 11-02-2005 01:15 PM

I have to say, I couldn't believe you put the Big Bossman/Al Snow stuff down.

Soul Daddy 11-02-2005 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I can't stand pure workrate TNA/ROH stuff and really appreciate a good angle/skit/promo. Much of what you posted though is pure wrestlecrap.

[censored] 11-02-2005 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough please send over Angle, Michaels, Helms and a few others and in return ill send you a refridgerator box full of midgets, a dug up vince russo, a taser, Keven Sullivan and The White Castle of Fear. Enjoy!

samjjones 11-02-2005 01:26 PM

Yeah, my friends and I were just discussing this last night as we watched the PPV. We definitely hold most of the wrestlecrap stuff in fond remembrance. I mean, I know a guy who dressed up as Duke the Dumpster Droze last year for Halloween. These are 30 year old guys, some with wives and kids.

[censored] 11-02-2005 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was one good night but im not really sure if it was possible for the invasion angle to ever work. The problem was that everyone knew it wasn't an invasion and that the WWE had purchased the WCW.

Actually I take back my first statement. It never could have worked once they made the stakes control and the life of the WWE. At that point it became predictable, obvious and not longer interesting. We all knew the WWE wasn't going anywere. The invasion and alliance was interersting when the story was seemingly about the rebirth of first WCW and then ECW. If they make the stakes control of Smackdown and or Heat where instead of taking out the WWE Shane is instead fighting to get his company (WCW) on TV then everything becomes much more plausible and interesting.

Now the initial run-ins are about Shane and the WCW guys getting on TV and getting known. They have a reason to be there now. Also you add in Shane trying and steal away guys by offering them various things. Vince doesn't know who to trust and becomes more paranoid and the defections start to mount. All of them culminates with a Survivor series match where Shane puts up the life of WCW vs. say control of Smackdown.

WCW wins, which moves right into the company split. Now you truly do have 2 brands and a legitmate 2 world champions

samjjones 11-02-2005 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was one good night but im not really sure if it was possible for the invasion angle to ever work. The problem was that everyone knew it wasn't an invasion and that the WWE had purchased the WCW.

Actually I take back my first statement. It never could have worked once they made the stakes control and the life of the WWE. At that point it became predictable, obvious and not longer interesting. We all knew the WWE wasn't going anywere. The invasion and alliance was interersting when the story was seemingly about the rebirth of first WCW and then ECW. If they make the stakes control of Smackdown and or Heat where instead of taking out the WWE Shane is instead fighting to get his company (WCW) on TV then everything becomes much more plausible and interesting.

Now the initial run-ins are about Shane and the WCW guys getting on TV and getting known. They have a reason to be there now. Also you add in Shane trying and steal away guys by offering them various things. Vince doesn't know who to trust and becomes more paranoid and the defections start to mount. All of them culminates with a Survivor series match where Shane puts up the life of WCW vs. say control of Smackdown.

WCW wins, which moves right into the company split. Now you truly do have 2 brands and a legitmate 2 world champions

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree completely...this would have been a MUCH better way to handle the invasion thing. They really dropped the ball with that.

sfer 11-02-2005 02:15 PM

Cindy Lauper

antidan444 11-02-2005 02:59 PM

I can't believe no one mentioned the Jake Roberts/Randy Savage and Roberts/Undertaker feuds. Aside from the snake biting Savage (which was silly ... I mean you could see the snake had been de-fanged. I was 11 at the time and I thought it was stupid, so that says it all), I thought both of these feuds were great.

The Flair/Savage/Miss Elizabeth triangle was good, too.

IndieMatty 11-02-2005 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe no one mentioned the Jake Roberts/Randy Savage and Roberts/Undertaker feuds. Aside from the snake biting Savage (which was silly ... I mean you could see the snake had been de-fanged. I was 11 at the time and I thought it was stupid, so that says it all), I thought both of these feuds were great.

The Flair/Savage/Miss Elizabeth triangle was good, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

They did a good job introducing Sid (Vicious)Justice with this too.

Jurollo 11-02-2005 03:12 PM

New World Order
This was the single most influential angle in modern day wrestling due to the fact that it catipulted WCW to #1 over the WWF, that was almost an absurd thought before this.

Goldberg
While the NWO started the WCW late reign at the top Goldberg continued it, his undefeated streak cracked WWF fans who would tune into WCW just to see Goldberg, also brought in an aspect of NFL fans who wanted to see the former Atlanta Falcon.

Hogan v. Warrior
This fued led to one of the most memorable matches in the History of the WWF or in wrestling period. It is the one defining moment in my childhood of watching wrestling, which i did for a good portion. These were THE 2 wrestlers of the day.

Lugar v. Yokozuna, "The Slam"
This was a well executed angle and was also finished well at Summer Slam to an American theme. For those that remember Lugar before this he sucks as 'the narcissist', this vaulted him to the American Hero, even though he sucked after the Yoko angle.

Taker v. Kane
This was built up pretty well too, and when I say built up I mean built and teased for months and months which all led up to the much anticipated first match on PPV

Thats all I got for now. More later.
~Justin

Jurollo 11-02-2005 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the WWE hand't purchased the WCW at the time of the invasion, the NWO started in '96, WWE bought WCW in '01
~Justin

B Dids 11-02-2005 03:16 PM

TNA mostly exists because Vince would rather sign giants that can't move than promote smaller workers who are actually amazing.

IndieMatty 11-02-2005 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the WWE hand't purchased the WCW at the time of the invasion, the NWO started in '96, WWE bought WCW in '01
~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you saying this? [censored] is talking about "The Invasion" which is a reference to the 2001 era of the merger.

B Dids 11-02-2005 03:23 PM

He's likely talking about the nWo invasion.

I liked any angle that focused more on wrestling and less on lame storytelling.

The the best recent angle that I enjoyed was Batista's turn on HHH.

IndieMatty 11-02-2005 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He's likely talking about the nWo invasion.

I liked any angle that focused more on wrestling and less on lame storytelling.

The the best recent angle that I enjoyed was Batista's turn on HHH.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I know, just don't know why he brought it up? Meh. nm. Re: HHH and Batista. Agreed, they did that well.

Jurollo 11-02-2005 03:30 PM

I wasnt still watching it in late enough to know of another 'invasion'
~Justin

IndieMatty 11-02-2005 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wasnt still watching it in late enough to know of another 'invasion'
~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh thats where I was going. This is actually the more popular reference now. Especially since it sucked so bad.

krimson 11-02-2005 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
pride

[/ QUOTE ]

Have an example that you remember?

[/ QUOTE ]

You missed the joke. Pride as in the pride fighting championship. Smallish NHB fighting confederacy out of japan. They have some ties to pro wrestling and usually put on a pretty good show

[/ QUOTE ]

I've actually been wanting to order some their DVD's for sometime now as I hear it is much better than UFC.

Where to start? Also they have english commentary right?

[/ QUOTE ]
Pride is my favourite to watch. The rules are a bit better imo, they disallow elbowing on the ground, to reduce the number of cut-related-wins, and allow for kneeing / kicking a downed opponent for more KO wins. They also move the fighters to the center of the ring when they wind up along the ropes so it's more of an "open area" fight than a caged fight.

It also seems quite a bit more national. Japan, Brazil, USA, Russia, etc etc all get good representation. This also means they're getting the best of the best from the world, while UFC is basically just getting the best of the best of Americans with some Canadians and some Brazilians thrown into the mix.

Make sure you start a few years back and work your up through the fights, without spoilers. Fights like Fedor Emelinenko vs Mirko Cro-Cop, or Wanderlei vs Arona are so much better once you know the fighters a bit, and the lead in to the fights.

antidan444 11-02-2005 03:55 PM

Oh yeah. The Shawn Michaels heel turn where he threw Marty Jannetty through the (plate glass!!!) window.

(Edit: Obviously, the time period from 1991-93, when I was most into pro wrestling, sticks in my brain most vividly, even though I watched just about every week until about three years ago.)