Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Big Coincidences You've Experienced (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=362644)

Benholio 10-21-2005 11:57 PM

Re: Big Coincidences You\'ve Experienced

Several years ago I was riding in my friends truck, and noticed the license tag in front of us had a full house (34334 or something to that effect). After I pointed it out to him, he pointed at his odometer, which was turning to 34334 miles.

Ian M. 10-22-2005 12:51 AM

I had a friend who was really into horses and had recently bought a new one. She sent me a picture of it over msn, and it was a picture of a horse at my neighbours place in my hometown, and my (parent's)house was in the background. My hometown is about 1.5 hours away from the city we live in now, and I don't think I ever told her where I was from.

JihadOnTheRiver 10-22-2005 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Air Force - Basic Training - 1982

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Saw a guy in the shower

[/ QUOTE ]

Why were you looking? All I see is feet.

JihadOnTheRiver 10-22-2005 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Saw a guy in the shower I thought I recognized.

[/ QUOTE ]

So gay.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're thinking of the Army. Sorry you're confused.

Onaflag......... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

In the Army we kept our eyes straight ahead.

<font color="white">[censored] </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

The guy who started this thread, Dvo, is an Army CAPT. What a coincidence.
-JIHAD

10-22-2005 01:12 AM

...but when I went to return her jacket, the old woman at the house said, "why, that's my daughter, and she died 20 years ago today!" wait, what was this thread about?

tinga81 10-22-2005 01:17 AM

My birthday is May 11, 1981.
My dad was born on May 11, 1949.
My Grandparents were married on May 11, 1945.
There are a few cousins in the family born on May 11th.
I lost my virginity to a girl that was born on May 11, 1982.

shant 10-22-2005 01:59 AM

Every May 11th do you get scared someone you're related to is going to die or have sex or pop a kid out?

-Skeme- 10-22-2005 02:05 AM

Some chick I used to chat with online back in the day randomly hit me up. "Wow, you will not guess what just happened to me today." I immediately just randomly said, "You met Zach Morris?" and she went nuts. She connected with me on AIM, and sent me a picture of her with [censored] Mark-Paul Gosselaar. She had just met him that day at Disney Land.

Now that my friend is insane.

10-22-2005 02:08 AM

Went to college in Colorado. First 6 times i flew into DIA one of my two bags was lost. First 4 times were different airlines, coming from different cities.

Another one involving air travel, went home to alaska for spring break freshman year, snow at Denver airport causes me to be late to seattle and had to stay the night in the airport. Going back to school, snow in the anchorage airport made me late into seattle and I had to stay the night in the seattle airport again.

Long story short, I am cursed by the travel gods.

siccjay 10-22-2005 02:21 AM

Me and 2 friends were chillin in a club in Myrtle Beach when a girl walks up and yells my friends first and last name. That was pretty weird. It turned out she used to date another friend of ours brother. Her and a friend were staying in the hotel next to us.

The best one ever..

2 friends of mine met this chick online and went and ran a train. While they were doin it, her son wakes up and she leaves the room for awhile. They are lookin through her [censored], look under the bed and find a used rubber. A friend gets something to pull the rubber out and they laugh and throw it on top of her dresser or something and then throw theirs up there with it.

The next day my friend calls his brother for something and his bro asks him what they did last night. He said me and so and so went over this chicks house and tag teamed it. He then tells the story of the used rubber under the bed. His brother says "Oh yea? Where did she live?" He tells him. His brother then asks if she drives a certain car and describes what she looks like. He had met her off the internet the night before and thrown his used rubber under the bed.

nubs 10-22-2005 02:23 AM

Freshman year of highschool i had a dream that my friends cat had died. (Weird already) The next day i see him in class and ask him how his cat is doing. He stares at me for a couple seconds and say that they found it dead outside their house. He never believed that I actually had that dream.

Hmmm, maybe im a sleepwalking cat killer.....

Hermlord 10-22-2005 03:48 AM

I landed in London after my first (and only) trip to Europe. Waiting for my luggage, another passenger calls out my name. Surprisingly (given my poor memory for people) I recognized him instantly. We had been in a summer program of less than 20 people years earlier.

My mom, who has an excellent memory for people, has literally stopped on the street to chat with people she hasn't seen since nursery school (she's 55).

ethan 10-22-2005 04:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Some chick I used to chat with online back in the day randomly hit me up. "Wow, you will not guess what just happened to me today." I immediately just randomly said, "You met Zach Morris?" and she went nuts. She connected with me on AIM, and sent me a picture of her with [censored] Mark-Paul Gosselaar. She had just met him that day at Disney Land.

Now that my friend is insane.

[/ QUOTE ]

The year after I graduated college, I was back visiting a couple friends (early in fall semester). I was trying to describe one of the freshmen living with them, and went with "that Zach Morris-looking kid." He's named Zach Morris, and apparently gets this a lot.

ZeeJustin 10-22-2005 04:35 AM

My mother married my father. (this is a referance to the "my aunt is my mother's sister" post)

My mother remarried this guy named John who was married once before himself.

My mother and my father got married on the exact same day of the exact same year, at the exact same time that John got married to his first wife.

That means my mom and my step father share not only the same anniversary, but also the same anniversary to their exes.

10-22-2005 04:38 AM

I met this sexy blonde girl while I was workin one day. I convinced her I was a bad-ass, had sex with her, turned out she was my sister! We had sex again...she screamed "I'm your sister! I'm your sister!" That was weird man!

kbfc 10-22-2005 04:39 AM

Here's a couple I enjoyed:

- When I first moved to LA like 3 years ago, I kept seeing Tara-the-Dumpy-Witch from Buffy around town, either walking down the street, or at a little dive bar watching a friend's band play. Then I went to New York for a few days and ended up right next to her on the subway. Odd. BTW, not dumpy at all in real life.

- One of my uncles is a professor of Mechanical Engineering at MIT. He got his PhD from Berkeley in the 70s. I got my BS in Mechanical Engineering from Berkeley. Turns out, my last 3 years at Berkeley, I lived in the same apartment he did back then. Not just same building. Same UNIT. Odd.

TheCroShow 10-22-2005 04:48 AM

this was weird, a 2 or 3 part series coming up:

sitting in the lunchroom at work (in victoria, bc canada). i mention [card game] and girl says "OH NO NOT YOU TOO!" I'm like whut? She says "my ex and his stupid friends play [card game]." i'm like no big deal, she says "my ex's best friend plays that silly game. he even flew his gf down to vegas and they got married!"

i say "his name doesn't happen to start with a J does it?" turns out her ex lives in vancouver, bc canada, is best friends with this guy we both know. WEIRD coincidence, it does not stop there.

the next day she mentioned baseball, and i perked up, i love baseball. turns out i used to coach baseball with her uncle. that was bizarre.

yellowjack 10-22-2005 05:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...but when I went to return her jacket, the old woman at the house said, "why, that's my daughter, and she died 20 years ago today!" wait, what was this thread about?

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, I just got goosebumps from reading that again. I think I heard that story about 10 years ago, and it's still good.

diebitter 10-22-2005 05:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My two best are too long. #3 is that I ran into a guy I know in New Orleans and a year later in Tennessee. We both live in Michigan and had no idea either would be in said locales.

If you want to read an incrdible story search my posts for October 5 under the heading "Most Amazing Coincidences". You will also learn the history of Diebitters' nifty Fonz avatar. I'd post a link but I don't know how.

[/ QUOTE ]
Here you go:
wot he sed
And I think this was the first use of the annoying phrase 'obviously' as well.

jakethebake 10-22-2005 07:02 AM

My wife met some random woman recently whose daughter has the same anme as our daughter, who has a pretty unusual name. After talking awhile they found out her son's birthday is 9 days before our son's and her daughter's birthday is 9 days before our daughter's.

KaneKungFu123 10-22-2005 07:49 AM

My cousin from florida has a picture of herself as a five year old at disney land.

in the background of the picture is another family vacationing from canada with a little boy the same age.

she ended up marrying him. he discovered his family in the picture sometime after they were already married.

NLSoldier 10-22-2005 07:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My cousin from florida has a picture of herself as a five year old at disney land.

in the background of the picture is another family vacationing from canada with a little boy the same age.

she ended up marrying him. he discovered his family in the picture sometime after they were already married.

[/ QUOTE ]

winner.

The Truth 10-22-2005 08:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

winner.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is one of the coolest things ive read in awhile.

good post.

blake

The Truth 10-22-2005 08:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Here is one from today. I was a little bored and put my name into google. On of the hits was about someone sharing my name playing in one major league baseball game on August 17, 1897. August 17 is my birthday (although not 1897).

[/ QUOTE ]

MY birthday is Aug. 17, 1986 [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you put 20 people in a room, the odds of at least 2 of the people having the same birthday are suprisingly high.

The more people you add, the likelyhood of people sharing a birthday grows exponentially.

So, 2 people have the same birthday isn't really cool, unless both of those people are 100+ years old and their birthdays are in the same year, and happen to run into eachother in the south of asia at a psychic healer after both having lost their right arms due to an unusual illness, only to be able to afford the trip by winning and splitting the same lottery with the same numbers, after having got the numbers from fortune cookies in different countries.

sorry, I cant spell

blake

Yeti 10-22-2005 08:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you put 20 people in a room, the odds of at least 2 of the people having the same birthday are suprisingly high.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup.

23 people gives you a 50% chance. IIRC 50 people means its 99% likely that 2 share the same birthday.

FWIW my birthday is July 14th. I'm gonna see my daddy for the first time on July 14th.

DcifrThs 10-22-2005 08:49 AM

two weeks ago i had a weird dream about my ex from DC.

that day she called me...

Barron

KaneKungFu123 10-22-2005 08:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup.

23 people gives you a 50% chance. IIRC 50 people means its 99% likely that 2 share the same birthday.

FWIW my birthday is July 14th. I'm gonna see my daddy for the first time on July 14th.

[/ QUOTE ]

can you show the math please?

JackWilson 10-22-2005 12:07 PM

Probably not the biggest but the most recent one - I was getting ready to go to someone's 21st party and I was listening to The Crystal Method - Ghetto Fabulous. Really cool song. It was my first time listening to it before a party since I'd just gotten the album a little while back. When I showed up at the party, I found that that the guy who invited me forgot to tell me about the theme for the 21st...obviously it was "Ghetto Fabulous".

BWebb 10-22-2005 12:54 PM

Here's one from the 2+2 trip in June. Went to DejaVu because Evan's fake ID wouldn't work at a 21+ club. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Just sitting there enjoying the dancers on stage, relaxing. Everyone decides to start getting private dances in the back and after about 10 songs in a row for some, they say I need to do it. I say fine and grab the next stripper walking by who is hot. We go into the back and start talking. It turns out she is from where I live and worked at a restaurant that is owned by a family I have known since I was about 6 years old. She also knew them very well.

Yeti 10-22-2005 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

www.google.com

MrTrik 10-22-2005 01:05 PM

As a consultant I was brought into a company to mop up a project that had been screwed up by another consulting firm. The manager I reported to hated the idea of me coming in and he had been forced to do it by his boss. He was insecure and felt my being there made him look like an incompetent idiot (which he was).

So I take control of the project. Get it back on track. As soon as possible the manager fired my ass. He wanted me gone and to get control of the project for himself. I thought, no problem, that's why you paid me good money ... so you can cut ties at any time.

After leaving that gig I took a short term gig for about 3 months. When that ended I landed another PM gig at a third company. I inherited a project with about 12 people who worked for the client under me. One of the guys on my new team was the incompetent idiot from the first gig.

10-22-2005 01:22 PM

Two summers ago, standing in line at the ticket counter for the San Diego Zoo, I looked up and saw a friend from school with his parents. Turns out they used to live in San Diego and his dad used to work at the zoo, and were coming back for the first time in five years. Pretty amazing considering I had just driven from San Antonio, to the Grand Canyon, to Yosemite, down Route 1, and into San Diego and met them here.

WackityWhiz 10-22-2005 03:13 PM

I'm not sure if this counts, but I was golfing at a local course 4 years ago. Hole 7, slice my ball into the trees on the right, punch out leaving me a ~40 yard third shot. I grab my 68 degree wedge and plop the thing on the green about 6 ft away from the hole and it rolls right in.

I finish the front nine and my buddy has to go home so I decide to keep going. I saw a guy I knew who was teeing off on #1 so I joined him. Get to hole 7 and I slice my ball into the trees on the right, it was a pretty similar shot as before. I punch out again and as I'm standing over my ball, I can see my divot from last time about 3 ft away. I whip out my 68 degree and plop it on the green about 6 ft away, and it rolls into the hole.

it was crazy, but nobody believes me since the witnesses were different. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

jakethebake 10-22-2005 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very cool.

10-22-2005 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

birthday paradox

Blarg 10-22-2005 03:26 PM

Yeah, that's a very cool and weird one.

MrTrik 10-22-2005 06:32 PM

I believe you since you have no reason to lie. But that seems like an unbelievable story. Wow. Talk about fate.

yellowjack 10-22-2005 07:23 PM

I was at a friend's house and her mom had opened up a cushion because it was falling apart. It was filled with old real estate newsletters and we randomly opened one to look at the prices of houses in the 1940s. I looked at one of the houses (small photos in b&amp;w) and matched the address with a friend who had just moved into that house a few weeks ago.

KingCon 10-22-2005 07:49 PM

I have 2

1) First year in the Marines. Me and my roommate (in arizona) He was from Texas, I was from Ky, we are looking through yearbooks etc The same girl (same picture also) was in both of ours graduating class.

2) Me and a guy named ZGODA was chasing the same girl my senior year. Anyway I go off to the Marines, he joins the army. I see him in Okinawa, Arizona, Kuwait and FT Bliss Texas, then we both get out of the service after 4 years, and we both move to the same town (Lexington Ky) We jsut laugh when we see each other, still havent talked to him though

chesspain 10-22-2005 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's one from about 2 years ago.

I was driving down the street and noticed the truck in front of me had a state of Kansas specialty plate that said "BOSTON" I didn't think too much of it, but half a second later, with the truck still in front of me, I turned on the radio. I immediately heard "More than a feeling" from the band BOSTON.

It was pretty cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

If "More Than a Feeling" wasn't followed by "Dust in the Wind" or "Point of No Return," then this story sucks.