Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Modern adjectives you hate (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=354930)

FouTight 10-11-2005 12:57 PM

Re: Modern adjectives you hate

"Ignorant" has been used so... ignorantly for so long, it actually took on a new meaning, which I refuse to respect.

as far as I'm concerened, it's not a synonym for "Rude".

coffeecrazy1 10-11-2005 01:03 PM

Can't believe no one has brought up the most idiotic word of the last 25 years: PHAT.

Seriously...how did someone decide that a fabricated homonym for overweight would be a way to express approval? Inevitably, whenever used in speech, people have to clarify that it's "P-H" not "F." Argh. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Stacheman 10-11-2005 01:30 PM

When someone starts a conversation/story with "Can I just tell you....". You're going to tell me anyway, so just f'n say it. I've caught myself doing it a couple of times and considered electroshock therapy.

DMBFan23 10-11-2005 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can't believe no one has brought up the most idiotic word of the last 25 years: PHAT.

Seriously...how did someone decide that a fabricated homonym for overweight would be a way to express approval? Inevitably, whenever used in speech, people have to clarify that it's "P-H" not "F." Argh. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

my favorite part about this one is that people ask you to clarify when the answer is obvious...

"dude, that album is phat"

"uh, do you mean P-H phat or F fat? hahahaha"

"I meant that the album has a little bit of a weight problem, but nothing too serious. really it's not even that he's fat it's just that he's big boned."

jojobinks 10-11-2005 01:42 PM

too much information! (followed by lol roflmao)

diebitter 10-11-2005 01:53 PM

"it goes without saying..."

Well, STFU then! [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Dominic 10-11-2005 03:20 PM

"penultimate"

PITTM 10-11-2005 03:22 PM

my least favorite phrase and most overused by people in sports in general is "it is what it is". oh, thanks for saying words that describe nothing...

rj

TheCroShow 10-11-2005 03:31 PM

hate cliche black ppl on sports/awards shows "i wanna thank my lord and savior..." why don't you fuckers blame god when you lose? anyway that's an entirely different thread altogether.

crunk is one that bothers me, i hate lil jon. some girl @ work came up to me and said something like "[censored] man me and my girl went out and got CRUNKED on the weekend!" uhh yeah, cool.

another one "That's [card game]!" yeah thanks a lot dickhead, that helps a lot!

Blarg 10-11-2005 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"penultimate"

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I've read this one but don't think I've ever heard it in my life.

touchfaith 10-11-2005 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"penultimate"

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF dude, I basically count on you to explain crap like this for me. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

coffeecrazy1 10-11-2005 05:56 PM

Um...this one isn't modern...actually, far from it. It's more archaic than anything else, meaning second to last.

Go-Go-Gadget-Liberal-Arts-Degree!

Duke 10-11-2005 06:07 PM

'Crunk' wins this hands down.

~D

cnfuzzd 10-11-2005 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah verbing bugs me too. It almost always seems cheesy or somehow grates on the ear.

[/ QUOTE ]

surely you can apprecite the irony of the above

peace

john nickle

GuyOnTilt 10-11-2005 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Everything happens for a reason."

[/ QUOTE ]
This is definitely at the top of my list. Not a phrase I hate really, but one that bugs me or sticks out to me or whatever that is commonly used: literally, when meaning figuratively, e.g. "I literally died laughing".

GoT

Boris 10-11-2005 06:25 PM

Brilliant

I'm choosing brilliant just becuase that's the only adjective they use over in England. But then they try to lord over the Americans with how the "the Queen's English" uses so many more words than us. Whatever.

Blarg 10-11-2005 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah verbing bugs me too. It almost always seems cheesy or somehow grates on the ear.

[/ QUOTE ]

peace

john nickle

[/ QUOTE ]

So much so that I felt it went without saying.

Blarg 10-11-2005 06:36 PM

Re: Brilliant

There's a strong anti-intellectual aspect to American society that doesn't do us much credit on every level. I think the use of "brilliant" is pretty silly, but we could learn a thing or two from the fluency with the language that even pretty average Britons seem to have. The ones I've seen with any amount of intelligence at all who come over here don't fight so hard to keep their vocabulary small, and the result is they speak more naturally in a way. In America, unfortunately, dumb is cool, and attempts to be anything else get frowned on as terminally unhip or just snooty. It kind of makes speaking suck when people have the right word at hand, but then have to actually search their minds to find a dumber way to say what they mean.

cnfuzzd 10-11-2005 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

peace

john nickle

[/ QUOTE ]

So much so that I felt it went without saying.

[/ QUOTE ]

dammit, i missed another one....

peace

john nickle

Boris 10-11-2005 06:47 PM

Where do you live that people intentionally act dumb. Like the people are smart but are afraid to show it?

offTopic 10-11-2005 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's a strong anti-intellectual aspect to American society that doesn't do us much credit on every level. I think the use of "brilliant" is pretty silly, but we could learn a thing or two from the fluency with the language that even pretty average Britons seem to have. The ones I've seen with any amount of intelligence at all who come over here don't fight so hard to keep their vocabulary small, and the result is they speak more naturally in a way. In America, unfortunately, dumb is cool, and attempts to be anything else get frowned on as terminally unhip or just snooty. It kind of makes speaking suck when people have the right word at hand, but then have to actually search their minds to find a dumber way to say what they mean.

[/ QUOTE ]

Word.

Ulysses 10-11-2005 07:06 PM

"off the hook" and "off the chain" are particularly grating.

Boris 10-11-2005 07:08 PM

lol

Blarg 10-11-2005 07:10 PM

Everywhere I've lived; Guam, Hawaii, Los Angeles. I've seen people get ribbed over using three or even two syllable words, even if they were by far the best word to use to describe something. I see this a lot more in downscale and certain ethnic crowds than in the upper middle class and above.

Slow Play Ray 10-11-2005 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"off the hook" and "off the chain" are particularly grating.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, and it gets even worse when morphed to "off the hizzle"

10-11-2005 07:18 PM

Kinko's had a slogan a while back, "The new way to office." I will never go into a Kinko's again.
Currently, I am really tired of hearing, "Avian Bird Flu." What exactly is a avian? Its a bird. Like there is some bird flu of the non-avian type going around?

Boris 10-11-2005 07:20 PM

Oh right, the little people. That explains why I didn't relate to your comment.

Blarg 10-11-2005 08:00 PM

Yes. But it does go beyond them, as much of high culture has simply evaporated or scuttled to the margins, and the common American culture is now low culture almost exclusively.

lu_hawk 10-11-2005 08:12 PM

I vote for any sort of word where the person doesn't use the normal word that comes naturally but consciously picks another word that they think makes them sound cool. Like on 2+2 people use 'meh' or say something like 'i smoothchecked', in real life you hear people say things like 'tits' or something. This isn't part of their normal vocabulary and they were probably going to say something else but then they thought 'let me say this word instead so I sound cool.' Anytime I hear someone say a word like that I automatically label them as a giant tool and I have never been wrong.

Superfluous Man 10-11-2005 08:23 PM

"snarky" and it's not even close.

elwoodblues 10-11-2005 08:27 PM

Anything with Smurf in it. Way overused.

Blarg 10-11-2005 08:30 PM

I've never heard anyone say "tits" to describe anything but tits, and "meh" isn't pretentious. It's not even a word, maybe closer to a grunt or a sneeze. What would it substitute for, anyway, "eh"? Or "bah"? Or "whatever"? None of these really need substituting for, and "meh" sure won't be any more cool. It's used because it's used, and as to effect, it would have none. It's hard for me to picture someone thinking "meh" was an attempt to be cool. It's about as exotic as clearing your throat and spitting. I think this was a bad call.

TheCroShow 10-12-2005 03:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"penultimate"

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF dude, I basically count on you to explain crap like this for me. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

from what i understand, penultimate is when you finish 2nd to last or last?