Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Straight pool (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=307662)

asofel 08-04-2005 04:04 PM

Re: Straight pool

[ QUOTE ]
My best at straight pool is 12. I've yet to run a 9-ball rack out though (ie no 9ball combos count). That pisses me off.

[/ QUOTE ]

keep working at it. I'm pretty good when compared with other amateurs, but never really played 9 ball, and only started recently being able to run out a rack of 9...the more you play the easier it'll come, trust me...

Phat Mack 08-04-2005 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

How about billiards? I had an old timer show me the break the other day, and after he tried it 4 or 5 times, i took a try and hit it on my second attempt. I think I could really get into that game...

[/ QUOTE ]

I fooled around on a billiards table at hollywood on market in SF a few times. it was fun. it's not quite as hard as you expect, but it's still damned hard. but to make it more enjoyable at first, you can play 1 cushion instead of 3 cushion, or even straight rail (no cushion necessary). if you actually get good, straight rail becomes a very different game, where you learn to "nurse" the balls, never having them move more than a fraction of an inch and making huge runs. but if you're curious about billiards I highly recommend two videos from accustats: semih sayginer's artisitic billiards exhibition (3-cush trick shots with masse's and various incredible astounding things) and blomdahl v. ceulemans 1996 which is considered the greatest 3-cushion performance (avg 4/inning) ever (unless probably blomdahl's topped himself...).

[/ QUOTE ]

Get their Balkline tape. If you are a serious player, you'll be astounded. I've lent it to "A" pool players who have never been on a billiard table and had trouble getting it back. I've lent it to "B" players and it's come back the next day with about three minutes viewed on the un-rewound tape.

Wad 08-04-2005 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I used to love me some 3 cushion at Chris's Billiards in Chicago.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jersey Nick,

How many years ago did you play there? I have never been there but there was a guy who opened a pool hall in SE Minnesota in the early 80's who used to have a pool hall somewhere near/in Chicago called Bob's Billiards.

Also, did you ever have any experience with Ray Schuler? My cue was built by Ray around 1983 or 84. It's built to the specs of the billiard cue that Cuelemans used for years. I know Ray Schueler died a few years ago so I'm a little leery to send one of my shafts there for joint repair now.

Wad 08-04-2005 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think that might deserve its own thread

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Great stories come out of pool halls.

HDPM 08-04-2005 04:19 PM

I wouldn't hesitate to send your schuler in for repair. Their joints are the same as ever. You can also just order shafts from them with whatever taper you want. I have a cue from them and had an easy time ordering. Had a nice conversation w/ Mrs. Schuler BTW, she is still around. Not my favorite cue, but the company is around and you should have no trouble with a new shaft or three. I ordered mine after Ray died BTW FWIW

Phat Mack 08-04-2005 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

semih is ridiculous...i saw a clip on the web...the masse which bounces back and forth in the corner about 8 times? crazy....i might have see some of blomdahl's match as well, i definitely know both names....if it was more accessible i'd certainly try it out....

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to put the tape in today. it's been a few years. the most astounding to me were the whipping stroke shots where he can hit with full power with the balls a quarter inch or less apart (without double hitting NB).

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw Semi shoot this shot when he was in Vegas (99?). He executed it, then repeated it with golf balls. He also shot the full-table masse down the long rail with golf balls. Got about eight rails (the long rail eight times) before it came zipping back six diamonds for the count.

To me, the most astonishing thing on Semi's trick shot tape is when he gets eight or so balls going around the table at once. Try it some time.

Wad 08-04-2005 04:22 PM

HDPM,

Thanks for the info, exactly what I was looking for. I spoke with someone there last year and they didn't sound too savvy so I wanted to be sure.

Phat Mack 08-04-2005 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the threshold in straight pool is 42 - 3 racks. I can't do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me neither, but I've always heard that getting into the fourth rack is the biggie.

Phat Mack 08-04-2005 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
HDPM,

Thanks for the info, exactly what I was looking for. I spoke with someone there last year and they didn't sound too savvy so I wanted to be sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got a feeling that you have the old metal-to-metal style (metal bands around both butt and shaft). You might want to mention that when you call. Is it made out of an old Titlist?

HDPM 08-04-2005 04:37 PM

I should clarify maybe. If I had a cue made by Ray himself I'd treat it differently than a current production schuler. If the butt needed repair I would be more concerned than if I could just send a shaft in or order up some new shafts. If I liked the schuler hit and the shaft options and only wanted a playing cue, I'd get another one and leave the one made by ray in the case most of the time. I was comfortable dealing with them, but I think I can also see why you hesitated after speaking to one of their current guys. It reminded me I had a slight problem w/ one of them, but my overall experience was fine and I enjoyed talking to Mrs. Schuler.

HDPM 08-04-2005 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
HDPM,

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got a feeling that you have the old metal-to-metal style (metal bands around both butt and shaft). You might want to mention that when you call. Is it made out of an old Titlist?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I guess that would change things. I thought his joint was the same for all his cues.

Wad 08-04-2005 04:42 PM

Yes, metal bands around both the butt and shaft at the joint. What the problem is is that the joint screw in the shaft loosened up over the years and eventually started working its way out every time I tightened the cue. The other shaft is OK but I would really like to get the one repaired.

Jersey Nick 08-04-2005 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I used to love me some 3 cushion at Chris's Billiards in Chicago.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jersey Nick,

How many years ago did you play there? I have never been there but there was a guy who opened a pool hall in SE Minnesota in the early 80's who used to have a pool hall somewhere near/in Chicago called Bob's Billiards.

Also, did you ever have any experience with Ray Schuler? My cue was built by Ray around 1983 or 84. It's built to the specs of the billiard cue that Cuelemans used for years. I know Ray Schueler died a few years ago so I'm a little leery to send one of my shafts there for joint repair now.

[/ QUOTE ]
I started playing at Chris's in 88 before they expanded the room but it wasn't my usual stop. I would only play there once or twice a month. My regular place to play was a burger joint with 10 gold crowns in Rogers park. It closed down not too long after I left in '95. Bob's sounds familiar, but I never played there.

Never met Ray but he sure made beautiful cues. I played with an antique Viking and an old Meucci. Good luck with the repairs. That must be one helluva stick.

Predator314 08-04-2005 04:56 PM

I've been shooting for about 13 years (since i was 15). I've never really played much Straight Pool. But practicing one day, I was able to get an 81 ball run.

I witnessed a friend run somewhere around 160. Can't remember the exact #.

I have put together two 6 packs (run 6 tables in a row) and 1 time ran 7 in a row in a ring game.

I used to practice for hours every day and had aspirations of becoming a road man or a pro.

A couple things led me to change my thinking:

1.) I don't like pool players. Once you get to a certain level they are all coked up assholes.

2.) I burnt myself out. I wasn't a natural so I had to practice all the time.

3.) Tony Watson strolls in a pool hall about 7 or 8 years ago. He was trying to hustle up a game, but I knew who he was. I talked him into playing for $5/game (WAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY below what he plays for these days). This man is on another level. No way I can touch these guys.

I had a "chemical" player tell me once that if he did an 8 ball of cocaine, he could spot God the 8 ball.

Phat Mack 08-04-2005 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
HDPM,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I guess that would change things. I thought his joint was the same for all his cues.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the metal bands are more cosmetic than functional--they're not an integral part of the joint. He didn't make that style long.

It's nice to walk in a 3C room with an oldstyle metal-to-metal Schuler, however. It may even effect the prices, if anyone collects them. Here's my baby, cut out of an old Titlist in '82 to Cueleman specs.

http://homepage.mac.com/amanjyaku/Picture/titlist30.jpg

Wad 08-04-2005 05:06 PM

That looks almost identical to mine except I have a leather wrap. I think my joints are more of a brass color too. If I have a chance I'll post some pictures later tonight.

HDPM 08-04-2005 05:11 PM

Since it's just a shaft I wouldn't panic. I might worry about sending the nice titleist butt in though. I would get you a regular current model schuler and save the old one.

Phat Mack 08-04-2005 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think my joints are more of a brass color too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen the original Ceuleman cue and it had brass-colored joints, and, I believe, a leather wrap. You've got a treasure.

Wad 08-04-2005 05:15 PM

Man, you're making me feel like I should never shoot with this thing again! [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

I don't play very seriously anymore, just on a mixed couples pool league in the winter and on occasional game of 3-cushion. Maybe I should consider a new one and put the original one away.

Phat Mack 08-04-2005 05:24 PM

I play with mine every chance I get, which isn't nearly as often as I'd like. I think their real beauty is in their funcionality, not as their potential to be museum pieces. If it hits sweet, play with it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

HDPM 08-04-2005 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I play with mine every chance I get, which isn't nearly as often as I'd like. I think their real beauty is in their funcionality, not as their potential to be museum pieces. If it hits sweet, play with it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to agree with you and don't believe much in collectors cues. But I don't have a cue made by a dead cuemaker at least yet. I commend you for playing with yours, but might hesitate if it were mine, as much as I think cues are meant to be played with. I suppose I would play with it some, but I would hate having to ship it all around and stuff.

I am going to buy a scruggs BTW. He keeps threatening to slow down and not make as many cues. But I intend to play w/ it. I love cues. Wish I could use one effectively. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

MHarris 08-04-2005 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, like straight pool and billiards. Don't get to play billiards around here. I think the threshold in straight pool is 42 - 3 racks. I can't do it. I am trying to just be able to pick through one rack better and can do that more often than in the past. 30 measly balls is my high run on a gold crown. Next Derby City they are having an all offense straight pool competition. Break ball in hand, cue ball in hand, 3 chances for 50 in the prelims. 42 will get you like 1 chance in the final. 160 will get 3 or 4. Only your high run gets you chances. High run gets a prize. Will be interesting to see what the modern guys can do. Hohmann has run 400, so has schmidt. Somebody may uncork a ridiculous run even on the diamond tables. I hope accu-stats gets something good on video.

[/ QUOTE ]

Along with those two, I'd be really interested in seeing Earl, Efren, and Jose Garcia from Jersey in that. Although Earl and Efren don't play much 14.1, I've seen a 360 from Efren and hear that Earl's high run is in the low 400's. Jose is super-pure. He's been uncorking quite a few 300's lately.

Wad 08-05-2005 12:30 PM

Here's a few pics of mine.

http://www.geocities.com/lkwad/cue1.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/lkwad/cue2.JPG

DOMIT 08-05-2005 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The game of champions. I've set a goal of a run of 30 balls by September 1st. My previous (witnessed) high run was 17. I've just started playing regulary again after a 1-1/2 years off. I've had a 14 ball run in each of my last two games.

Anyone else play them some straights? Or one-pocket?

[/ QUOTE ]

I love straight. my high run is something in the thirties I think, not forty I don't think--I hvae my good days but I'm not good because they're not frequent enough, and even then I'm not all that good. but running through two breaks, that's when you've tasted what it really means to play pool. I need to get a table. or find someplace to play in New Orleans. there seems to be a place on tchoupitoulas but I haven't looked to see if it's good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear ya there! I think my highest was 34...that's the number that's stuck in my head, anyway.. I was playing at a local hall. I remember that was a great day, feeling like I could really play [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Speaking of getting a table at your house.. I got one, then stopped playing! It was the weirdest thing. Course, didn't help that I hardly ever got anyone to come out to the house to play (we lived in the boonies [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] ) .

Good luck with your goal. Just remember to always try to think ahead; but once you finish looking where you want the ball to go, concentrate on that first shot again. Position means nothing if you don't sink the ball! (Unless of course your trying to safe it and stick your opponent [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] )

Glenn

DOMIT 08-05-2005 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone have book or website suggestions for a complete n00b starting out? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I always liked the stuff by Robert Byrne
Robert Byrne searched on Amazon

I would have give specific titles... but I've let ppl "borrow" my books, and they're mine no longer [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

My fav book from him was actually
Byrne's Book of Great Pool Stories

Phat Mack 08-05-2005 02:41 PM

Nice pics. In the bottom one, you can see the wood-to-wood connection that makes me love these cues.

Phat Mack 08-05-2005 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone else play them some straights? Or one-pocket?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to mention that these games go well together. Playing straights teaches one to "work the stack" by breaking out balls--an essential for run-outs in one pocket. I'll never be a straight pool player, but I can't count the times that I thought I had a straights player locked up playing one pocket, only to have him see a weird combo, break one out of the rack and run out.