Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Who likes Bellande ? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=296600)

MLG 07-20-2005 04:25 PM

Re: Who likes Bellande ?

[ QUOTE ]
I for one like him, and have for years.

[/ QUOTE ]

does that have anything to do with the 200k he lost "learning to play poker?" At leas that was the number he cited on the show last night.

Iron Tigran 07-21-2005 04:09 AM

He alternately irritated and amused me "excellent laydown!". Overall I do like him, though, cos that type of banter at a table can get me sorta pissed, and I need to think about that and work thru it and not get rattled. So he has made me think about improving my game, which I appreciate.

PokrLikeItsProse 07-21-2005 04:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He alternately irritated and amused me "excellent laydown!". Overall I do like him, though, cos that type of banter at a table can get me sorta pissed, and I need to think about that and work thru it and not get rattled. So he has made me think about improving my game, which I appreciate.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, does this mean I should learn to act that way occasionally if I have opponents like you who are tilt-able?

Russ McGinley 07-21-2005 04:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
2. He's not acting and that's his natural personality, which is almost worse. I despise people who can't shut up for 2 seconds. Can't they see they are the only ones talking? Do they actually think anyone is remotely interested in anything they have to say? I would so Phil Ivey this guy. Imagine 9 players "Ivey'ing" and him being the 10th. He'd be more flustered by everyone stone faced not reacting or listening to a damn word he said.

PS.

3. I think he's consciously trying to be like the Rock (ala WWF/WWE).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I agree here. The reason these guys do these things is to draw a reaction, whether it be at a poker table, in pro wrestling, or anywhere. Just to expand on your wrestling note, anybody in the wrestling business will tell you that you would rather get booed out of the building, have trash thrown at you, have people yelling at you and hating you than to have the fans have NO REACTION at all to your presence. If Bellande was at a table with 9 Phil Ivey's, I'd guess that he'd not bother with his shenanigans after about 10 minutes of 9 blank stares, but he had several players on that table fall right into it.

Willy 07-21-2005 09:08 AM

I thought the jist of his comments was that he wanted to be an irritating ass.
He succeeded.

oneeye13 07-22-2005 05:46 AM

i played with him at commerce 200 nl. he kept the game alive.

oneeye13 07-22-2005 06:35 AM

check out pizzapoker.com

Trainwreck 07-22-2005 01:49 PM

LOL! 7 cashes this year though, well done Marco!

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/play...=r&n=44293

Jean was nice change of pace, I'd give him plenty of grief back if he was at my table though.

LOL: http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/play...=r&n=28703

'Action Bob' caption under his picture, and what's this BS about him being french, listed as american, born in NYC (see bio @Hendon Mob database).

PairTheBoard 07-22-2005 02:07 PM

I thought he was one of the better poker personalities to come on the scene in a while. His arrogance was tempered by charm, self deprecating humor, deference and not unskillful flattery toward Jennifer Harmon, good looks and sex appeal. His appearance at final tables should boost their TV ratings and higher TV ratings is definitely good for poker. The only question is whether he has the poker skills to continue making final tables.

PairTheBoard

rheaume 07-22-2005 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and even Ivey cracked a smile once or twice.

[/ QUOTE ]

that wasn't due to bellande's jackassery. that was after jen's "i have a skirt you can wear" comment to frenchie.

CieloAzor 07-22-2005 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought he was one of the better poker personalities to come on the scene in a while. His arrogance was tempered by charm, self deprecating humor, deference and not unskillful flattery toward Jennifer Harmon, good looks and sex appeal. His appearance at final tables should boost their TV ratings and higher TV ratings is definitely good for poker. The only question is whether he has the poker skills to continue making final tables.

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

Very well stated. I agree completely.

Howard Treesong 07-22-2005 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I for one like him, and have for years.

[/ QUOTE ]

does that have anything to do with the 200k he lost "learning to play poker?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Those would be independent motivations, sir. I didn't ever mind him in my game; but quite apart from that, he really is amusing and charismatic. I think he overrates his own skill, but who am I to disabuse him of that?

riverboatking 07-22-2005 08:12 PM

its funny to me that all of you are judging this guy based on such a limited exposure to him.
he is a geniunely nice guy, and i say this after playing with him for an extended period of time.

you know i read all the same stuff about phil laak after his wpt episode aired and it was all the lame internet trolls yakking about how annoying this guy phil is and how horrible it would be to play at the same table with him.
when in fact phil is nothing like his "tv personality" at the table.

you guys should seriously get a life and ease up on the judgements and tirades.

MicroBob 07-22-2005 08:26 PM

I could have liked him a bit more.

But as they were going to one of the commercial breaks when they got to 9-handed you could hear Thaler (I think) ask if they could square-the-table a bit and Bellande told him "you knock out someone on YOUR end of the table if you want more room." something like that anyway.

Otherwise, I would probably enjoy playing with him and would kind of make fun of him sort of like how Jen was messing with him when she said 'good lay-down'.

When it comes to obnoxious players at the table I would much rather have a Bellande there as opposed to, say, an Ellix Powers or even a Mike Matusow.
They're all pricks....but Bellande strikes me as more fun to be around I guess if you had to choose amongst those three.

Klepton 07-22-2005 09:47 PM

he was at commerce last night playing 40-80 NL

FWIW, it looks like he was making the game very fun and exciting, as everyione was laughing every minute, which is good, cuz it makes the table loose. there was even a $30,000 bluff on the river (sorry i don't know the rest of the hand, but the guy showed it, and jean-robert went crazy)

i'm not trying to be a hater, but supposedly he used to be a club promoter and embezzled money from the clubs he worked for...about 30,000 from one club, and they fired him.

the above statement is true, but i'm being vague because the person who told me about him did not want to be known

johnnybeef 07-22-2005 09:54 PM

"This might be the only time I say this all night, but that was a horrible laydown."

Funniest words I have heard said at a poker table that didn't come from my own mouth.

benfranklin 07-22-2005 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL! 7 cashes this year though, well done

[/ QUOTE ]

And don't forget he was All-County in '95. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Rasputin 07-23-2005 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was hoping whomever knocked him out would say, "You're no Bill Laimbeer. Bill Laimbeer has championship rings!"

[/ QUOTE ]

I turned to my wife and said "Bill Laimbeer was a pussy." and "Where's Robert Parrish?"

And "Huh, you do kinda look like a Sleestak."

I found him to be a tremendous tool.

rheaume 07-23-2005 06:14 AM

bellande looks like ali g

Russ McGinley 07-23-2005 07:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad I'm not the only one who thought that immediately.

Iron Tigran 07-23-2005 07:46 PM

I'd be honored if you altered your behavior just for my sake.

Chief911 07-23-2005 08:50 PM

Bellande used to own/run a night club. Not promoter.

And unless you are the one who cannot take a joke, Bellande is a lot of fun to be with at the table.

Nick

deacsoft 07-23-2005 10:35 PM

I can't hate the guy for it. He's just doing his thing to get an edge. I'm all in favor of doing anything to get an edge up to, but not including, being a dick at the table. I don't like what he does, but can't hate him for it.

morgan180 07-23-2005 10:47 PM

he did a great job of pissing his stack away.

toss 07-24-2005 05:05 PM

He says his game is structured after Harrington on Hold'em.

Smoothcall 07-24-2005 05:19 PM

Lol. Maybe Harrington on holdem when drunk!

samjjones 07-25-2005 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Playing as Borat would be a great table gimmick.

evans075 07-25-2005 11:56 AM

Did anyone get the feeling that he was hitting on Jen?

McGahee 07-25-2005 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did anyone get the feeling that he was hitting on Jen?

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be a good laydown.

Cased Heel 07-25-2005 04:56 PM

he came off as quite a d.ickcheeseburger.

I could go without ever seeing him again in my life and I'd probably not miss out on much.

realwtf 07-25-2005 07:01 PM

People seem to be more interested in players liek this.

Hendon Mob most visited web pages

The winner Doug Lee is 34th while the ass is 4th.

Drac 07-26-2005 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife and I both thought that as well.

revots33 07-29-2005 10:33 AM

OK I know this is old news but I just caught this on Tivo yesterday.

Though Bellande was funny - but what the hell was with that all-in on his last hand?? That might be one of the dumbest plays I've seen in a long time - going all-in against the big stack with a pair of fours on an A-2-3-4 board? Since Lee was the BB and limped in, he could have had almost anything, including the 5. Bellande totally overbet and put himself in the position where he'd either win a little pot or bust out. He had played well up to that point - but that was an absolutely horrendous push IMO.

snakehead 07-29-2005 02:49 PM

for bobby's fans

KSOT 07-29-2005 11:42 PM

I didn't find his antics amusing.

SinCityGuy 07-30-2005 12:23 AM

Seemed like a good player and a pompous ass, which makes for good television.

sirdeej2 07-30-2005 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Playing as Borat would be a great table gimmick.

[/ QUOTE ]

rheaume 07-30-2005 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
for bobby's fans

[/ QUOTE ]

i love how they're promoting a DVD called "know when to go all in"

lemme guess... DO I GO ALL IN WITH 3RD PAIR AND A GUTSHOT ON THE TURN?

imported_adhoc 08-10-2005 09:45 PM

The funniest thing about this guy is his name. It sounds like "bellend," which is a British slang word worth looking up.

TheHip41 08-10-2005 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Watched the 2005 WSOP 1st event or whatever the hell it is. Bellande was pretty funny. I hated him for the first 5 minutes because I didn't understand him but now I like him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who?