Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Multi-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   2plus2 MTT "Top Ten" list (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=236908)

Ulysses 04-21-2005 10:38 PM

Re: 2plus2 MTT \"Top Ten\" list

[ QUOTE ]
bugstud should be up there
back to back 2nd places on the 200k was pretty sweet

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, this is my point. If bugstud should be up there, that's not the reason why.

billyjex 04-21-2005 10:39 PM

/joke

sorry, i play in a lot of the same tourneys as you, just a joke. forget about it.

HoldingFolding 04-21-2005 11:22 PM

I think Punker deserves a very honorable mention since:
1. He's won two big tournaments recently.
2. He goes out of his way to post complete tournament histories with comments.
3. He has an unconventional style which creates plenty of debate and illustrates there are many ways to skin a cat.

I guess (2)/(3) aren't any reflection on his ability, but whatever..

Chief911 04-21-2005 11:31 PM

El Diablo is on to something~

While impressive, two b2b performances does not make a great player (Which is not to imply anything regarding bugstud's skill, simply that saying to put him on the list based on that is ridiculous).

I'd say there are few people here who actually **COULD** make a list of the top 10 people, and have a list that is close to accurate.

Nick

p.s. While flattered, I am nowhere near top 10, and have a lot to still learn~

SossMan 04-22-2005 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

plus anyone who picks 9 RB's in the first 9 picks in the 2+2 fantasy football draft should be automatically eliminated from consideration.

btw, I just got dealt AA....does that move me up the list?

gergery 04-22-2005 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

True. But then, if I've got to back someone based on limited information, I'll take the guy who got back to back 2nds over the guy who didn't make the money twice.

SossMan 04-22-2005 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

True. But then, if I've got to back someone based on limited information, I'll take the guy who got back to back 2nds over the guy who didn't make the money twice.

[/ QUOTE ]

if that's the only info you have, you shouldn't be backing someone.

Punker 04-22-2005 02:16 AM

I like reading, and feel I learn from, posts by EMarkM, MLG, Cardsharpcook. I can't argue with ZeeJustin's results but he doesn't post here much from what I see. For my money, no one can touch the old MTT threads involving Fossilman and Andy Ward. If you have time and don't feel like participating in the "sweat me in final table X" that often occurs now (nothing against these, I love them!), take some time to read the old archives for that information.

The rest of the players on your list I either don't know very well or don't agree with your evaluation. That's diplomatic!

Ulysses 04-22-2005 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did it hold up?

gergery 04-22-2005 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if that's the only info you have, you shouldn't be backing someone.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're just upset you didn't win the autorace

schwza 04-22-2005 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
my top 5 is very accurate. the next 5 i think i could of added about 10 other names, such as TYlerdurden, schwaza, etc...

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for the compliment, but i'm not even close to top 10.

one guy whose posts i've been learning a lot from lately is fnord. he always gives good, thorough explanations.

SossMan 04-22-2005 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did it hold up?

[/ QUOTE ]

no, i'm not that good

nolanfan34 04-22-2005 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
bugstud

[/ QUOTE ]
plus anyone who picks 9 RB's in the first 9 picks in the 2+2 fantasy football draft should be automatically eliminated from consideration.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, especially when they refuse to trade any of them later in the season. That's a big time deduction.

Ulysses 04-22-2005 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did it hold up?

[/ QUOTE ]

no, i'm not that good

[/ QUOTE ]

Move down two spots.

Jason Strasser 04-22-2005 01:37 PM

This list, imo, is not so good, and it's not because I'm not on it. The names seem to be lots of high volume players. While that doesn't take away anything from them, it doesnt make them better than someone who doesnt play a lot.

If I was thinking about the best tournament players, my list would look something like: MLG, Soss, Diablo, Bruiser, Ajo Go all in (Yahtzem), Gavin, ZeeJustin and William (where did he go?). I'd also take some of the solid mid-high pl/nl posters and high-limit players like Ml4l, gonores, Muzungu, Bk, 1800gambler, FSU, daryn, Eugene, etc. over many of the names on this list. Sure there are adjustments between other forms of poker and tournament poker, but I think that most of those posters really understand poker very well and could easily do very well in tournaments, especially deepstacked.

A number of the players on this list are very good online tournament players who may do many things correctly without knowing the actual reasoning behind them (I do it all the time). The players I've mentioned I think have very good thought processes and would be the best at adjusting to opponents and blind structure very well.

-Jason

Edit: Oh ya matt flynn is ok too

bugstud 04-22-2005 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
bugstud

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, especially when they refuse to trade any of them later in the season. That's a big time deduction.

[/ QUOTE ]

I clearly traded mcgahee. I just don't feel like selling 'em off for a huge discount, which is where most of the offers ended seemed to be.

mcteecho 04-22-2005 01:52 PM

You amuse me.

DonButtons 04-22-2005 02:10 PM

yeah, aj_off should be up there...def. my favorite $200 sng player and mtt player when he was on party...cool screen name too, vanhammersly...

def. swap him for my #2 spot, lol...

SossMan 04-22-2005 02:14 PM

I think that as a whole, the top players in some of the other forums (mid/high limit, mid/high NL/PL) are light years ahead of the top players in the MTT forum in terms of having a deep understanding of their 'chosen field'. For all the coverage that MTTs get, there are still many aspects of tournament play that smart people completely disagree on. It's not so much true in cash games.

-sossman

augie00 04-22-2005 02:48 PM

*cough*

mcteecho 04-22-2005 03:08 PM

You amuse me too.

CardSharpCook 04-22-2005 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that as a whole, the top players in some of the other forums (mid/high limit, mid/high NL/PL) are light years ahead of the top players in the MTT forum in terms of having a deep understanding of their 'chosen field'. For all the coverage that MTTs get, there are still many aspects of tournament play that smart people completely disagree on. It's not so much true in cash games.

-sossman

[/ QUOTE ]

there are several threads I could site in the M/H limit forum which contain hotly debated topics. FI, "J8s: cap it up?" or "AK in a family pot". Also the always present debate concerning 3-betting TT or lower. Indeed, I think the debates there are better. Someone give me a list of our great debates? the AK vs TT was a good one. But I can't think of any others off the top of my head. I think the difference is the ability to discuss specific hands without having "tourney strategy" affecting so many hands.

CSC

Ulysses 04-22-2005 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the difference is the ability to discuss specific hands without having "tourney strategy" affecting so many hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Tourney strategy" imo usually simplifies the discussion rather than making it more complex. I am not aware of any strong high-limit NL players who have any problem properly taking into account "tourney strategy" considerations when making their decisions.

I would much rather be at a tourney table facing a lot of "tourney pros" as opposed to facing a tournament table filled with guys like Gabe Thaler, Sam Batshon, Bobby Hoff, Prahlad Friedman, and others who dominate big NL games.

I don't think it's any surprise that the guys who play in the big games (both the big NL games and the big HE or mixed games, plus of course the big-big mixed games) also do quite well in tournaments, while few of the tourney "names" do very well in the big games.

SossMan 04-25-2005 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think the difference is the ability to discuss specific hands without having "tourney strategy" affecting so many hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Tourney strategy" imo usually simplifies the discussion rather than making it more complex. I am not aware of any strong high-limit NL players who have any problem properly taking into account "tourney strategy" considerations when making their decisions.

I would much rather be at a tourney table facing a lot of "tourney pros" as opposed to facing a tournament table filled with guys like Gabe Thaler, Sam Batshon, Bobby Hoff, Prahlad Friedman, and others who dominate big NL games.

I don't think it's any surprise that the guys who play in the big games (both the big NL games and the big HE or mixed games, plus of course the big-big mixed games) also do quite well in tournaments, while few of the tourney "names" do very well in the big games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I very much agree. Many times, tournament decisions become no brainers (or the alternatives are close enough EV wise to not make a huge difference) mainly because of stack size.

PuertoKid 04-25-2005 04:56 PM

The fact that I am not on this list is evidence that it is silly. I mean, seriously, I took 1st in a UB $5 MTT one time. And I took 2nd another time. How could I possibly not be rated in the top 5?