Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Paul Phillips, $2-5 Mirage (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=222962)

fsuplayer 04-03-2005 08:04 PM

Re: Paul Phillips, $2-5 Mirage

[ QUOTE ]
Paul Phillips is classless. Very simple.

[/ QUOTE ]

couldnt agree more.

miajag81 04-03-2005 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It might be a little premature to call him "classless" based on one alleged A-hole move. But, to be sure, if true, it was an A-hole move.

The Ram 04-03-2005 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It might be a little premature to call him "classless" based on one alleged A-hole move. But, to be sure, if true, it was an A-hole move.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I was the one it was said to, I am 100% confirming that this happened. At the time I was too mystified to determine whether or not he was messing around or being an ass, but after thinking through the whole 3 or 4 hours I spent playing with him (having moved to his table solely for the experience) and hearing other people's interpretation, I am now fully confident that the latter is correct.
Paul, if you're still reading, you're a really smart guy and I still respect your ability, but your lack of congeniality then combined with your horrible attitude in this thread where you could have gotten out of everything simply with a (even fake) "hmm don't know why i said that, sorry if i came off the wrong way", you've proven that you're a total egomaniac with embarassingly poor social skills.
It's a shame.

Beavis68 04-03-2005 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't sound good-natured to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, I forgot you were there too. Another expert comes out of the woodwork! For some reason, your post captures everything I hate about 2+2 so perfectly that it has inspired me to stop posting here indefinitely.

[ QUOTE ]
a simple "thanks" or "good luck to you" would've sufficed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm so sorry I didn't have time to consult with you on how to exist in the universe. I've been inept at it so far and I hear you teach such wonderful classes.

[/ QUOTE ]

What an arrogant prick.

You remind of some little acting nerd in high school that only has a few "special" friends and despises everyone else.

I love reading your writtings on the game, but....

yes, 2+2 posters aren't fawning over your every word and are calling you a prick when you act like, i am sure that is everything you hate about the site.

Maybe you can try cardplayer forums next.

fsuplayer 04-03-2005 08:39 PM

perhaps this would be a better place for him in general.

soah 04-03-2005 08:48 PM

My hand reading skills must be improving -- I knew exactly where that link went as soon as I saw it. =)

Alexthegreat 04-03-2005 09:09 PM

wow, you guys are girls....Maybe you shouldn't have approached him after you cashed out, even if it was to tell him that you enjoyed playing with him...Some people don't like to be bothered at the table...

So he said he wished he could have taken all your chips....oooooohhhhh

The Ram 04-03-2005 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wow, you guys are girls....Maybe you shouldn't have approached him after you cashed out, even if it was to tell him that you enjoyed playing with him...Some people don't like to be bothered at the table...

[/ QUOTE ]

Given how much he was talking and that he was drinking, I contend the chance that he minded my 5 second interjection (which I did during the shuffle so as not to disturb him while a hand was in progress even though I don't even recall him being in it) is nominal.
However, I suppose you're right and that a few moments of polite respect from another player in the game is an intrusion upon someone's privacy.

I didn't bring this up with the intention of complaining, as evidenced by my original contribution to this thread, but given the obnoxiousness of his subsequent responses I think he needs to pull his head out of a certain region of his body. That is unless of course he's correct and it DOES smell like roses down there, in which case more power to him.

Alexthegreat 04-03-2005 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Given how much he was talking and that he was drinking, I contend the chance that he minded my 5 second interjection (which I did during the shuffle so as not to disturb him while a hand was in progress even though I don't even recall him being in it) is nominal.
However, I suppose you're right and that a few moments of polite respect from another player in the game is an intrusion upon someone's privacy.

I didn't bring this up with the intention of complaining, as evidenced by my original contribution to this thread, but given the obnoxiousness of his subsequent responses I think he needs to pull his head out of a certain region of his body. That is unless of course he's correct and it DOES smell like roses down there, in which case more power to him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, so he was drinking and messing around....And he didn't show you respect....I think you care way too much buddy...

Magikist 04-03-2005 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
....I think you care way too much buddy...

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, the call of the pot to the ketlle never rang more true...

Spladle Master 04-03-2005 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Paul, I was seriously just trying to remind you that your comments to the other player were unnecessary, as was your response to him and to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would just like to remind you that it is unnecessary for you to remind another player that his comments to another player are unnecessary.

anduril 04-03-2005 10:52 PM

duly noted [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Kripke 04-03-2005 11:07 PM

You are one pathetic individual.

Magikist 04-03-2005 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul, I was seriously just trying to remind you that your comments to the other player were unnecessary, as was your response to him and to me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would just like to remind you that it is unnecessary for you to remind another player that his comments to another player are unnecessary.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I would just like to remind you that it is unneccessary for you to remind another poster that his comments to another poster about his comments to another player are unneccessary.

Spladle Donkey.

Vince Lepore 04-04-2005 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Another expert comes out of the woodwork! For some reason, your post captures everything I hate about 2+2 so perfectly that it has inspired me to stop posting here indefinitely.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I thought it was my fault. Now, I see that you just don't like 2 + 2 posters. I retract my promise not to participate in any thread that you participate in. I'm glad too because this thread goes a long way to show just how wonderful a human being you are.

Vince

Vince Lepore 04-04-2005 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm so sorry I didn't have time to consult with you on how to exist in the universe. I've been inept at it so far and I hear you teach such wonderful classes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cmon Paul, give the guy a break. He was talking about his and mine and everbody elses universe not yours. Everyone knows that you live in your own universe and the rest of us are not welcomed in. Hail Ceasar!

Vince

Jason Strasser 04-04-2005 03:09 AM

Who cares that he comes off as an arrogant prick. He's a damn poker player.

The fact that he posted some very good advice in this thread (especially to bruiser's question) makes me sad you all love to chase him away for being 'classless' or whatever.

ethan 04-04-2005 05:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The fact that he posted some very good advice in this thread (especially to bruiser's question) makes me sad you all love to chase him away for being 'classless' or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

second.

WillMagic 04-04-2005 05:25 AM

Seriously. There are so few original ideas on how to play nl hold'em around here...and a good number that have shown up have come from Paul.

And now he's gone.

Great.

Will

Chobohoya 04-04-2005 05:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

second.

[/ QUOTE ]

seconded here as well. WTF is this whiny crap? What PP said wasn't harsh by any means, nor was it classless. Everyone participating in this thread has spent plenty of time around poker players and should know how low "classless" can go. Someone saying they wanted your stack... nothing. Get over it.

Ulysses 04-04-2005 06:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously. There are so few original ideas on how to play nl hold'em around here...and a good number that have shown up have come from Paul.

And now he's gone.

Great.

Will

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, this is getting gay.

scrub 04-04-2005 06:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To repeat, I do respect your game and you seem like a nice guy, but that was (in my opinion) totally classless. I don't say this with any air of grievance and would welcome the chance to play at your table again, but I think you're a better man than that and should consider acting accordingly.

(for your edification paul, if you're reading this, i was the guy w/ 6c5c vs. your AcKc).

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard William Shatner is mean to Star Trek fans, too.

scrub

anduril 04-04-2005 10:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no one chased him away, he ran on his own accord because I called him "rude." In fact I'll miss his posts very much. Just not his personality.

Spladle Master 04-04-2005 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:

[/ QUOTE ]

And I would just like to remind you that it is unneccessary for you to remind another poster that his comments to another poster about his comments to another player are unneccessary.

Spladle Donkey.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, I just got pwned.

wray 04-04-2005 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So if someone has some insight on an interesting subject he/she can act anyway they want?

turnipmonster 04-04-2005 12:06 PM

this thread belongs in the WPT forum.

drexah 04-04-2005 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't sound good-natured to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, I forgot you were there too. Another expert comes out of the woodwork! For some reason, your post captures everything I hate about 2+2 so perfectly that it has inspired me to stop posting here indefinitely.

[ QUOTE ]
a simple "thanks" or "good luck to you" would've sufficed.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you prefer recpoker, Paul?

jmgurgeh 04-04-2005 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ram's suggestion was so humbly put that it wasn't much of an issue until compounded with Paul's attitude about it. Paul just denied it. Oh but he also said he didn't remember. He didn't remember, but it didn't happen. Right.

The real issue was the response to Anduril's post which (correctly) identified Paul as being full of it. Paul then gave the zoo a run for its money in terms of packing the most immaturity possible into a single post and people called him on that, too. People weren't whining about Paul, Paul was whining that anyone would dare question his holiness about anything at all.

So people scared him away by . . . pointing out the obvious. If that's too much for Paul to handle, then maybe he should grow up a little; nobody was flaming him. If you want to kiss his ass, then do so, but stop complaining about other people having enough self-respect not to.

NiceCatch 04-04-2005 05:43 PM

Am I the only one who has found this thread extremely entertaining? From the intrigue of the great Paul Phillips sitting at, and then owning, a relatively small stakes (for him) table, to the commentary on his legend by some 2+2 peions, to an appearance by the Man himself, to a revelation of his brusque and ingracious manner, to his petulant dismissal of all charges, to him taking his ball and going home... to all the damning follow-up commentary. And that "oh no! he's gone forever" post was pretty funny too. High times at 2+2 MHSNL.

sigh... I need to get out more often.

wray 04-04-2005 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ram's suggestion was so humbly put that it wasn't much of an issue until compounded with Paul's attitude about it. Paul just denied it. Oh but he also said he didn't remember. He didn't remember, but it didn't happen. Right.

The real issue was the response to Anduril's post which (correctly) identified Paul as being full of it. Paul then gave the zoo a run for its money in terms of packing the most immaturity possible into a single post and people called him on that, too. People weren't whining about Paul, Paul was whining that anyone would dare question his holiness about anything at all.

So people scared him away by . . . pointing out the obvious. If that's too much for Paul to handle, then maybe he should grow up a little; nobody was flaming him. If you want to kiss his ass, then do so, but stop complaining about other people having enough self-respect not to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very nice post.

I really like watching Paul play. I liked reading his posts. There are times he gets many people pissing in his Corn Flakes on 2+2.

Well this isn't one of those deals.

Someone pointed out in a very tactful way that Paul could've been a little nicer after the fact.

Some people backed Paul by saying "deal with it" or something to the effect of "poker players are that way". That is a BS excuse just because someone else is mean doesn't make it ok, IMHO of course.

Paul APPEARS to have a hard time being a people person. He doesn't care what any of us think(That is unless he's looking for support when people thinks he made an A$$ out of himself on national TV)

NiceCatch 04-04-2005 06:12 PM

Alright, the man is a professional poker player. I'm not justifying his actions; they certainly lacked class, and his last post was pretty embarassingly immature. But what did you expect, Gandhi? I find it funny that so many people feel the need to comment on it, and are disappointed in his conduct. Ram, you know what? He probably ISN'T a better man than that, anymore than Phil Hellmuth is. Once again: HE PLAYS POKER FOR A LIVING.

Now on to some real poker thoughts...
-Would Paul dare play that way at a much higher stakes game? I think El Diablo's post was pretty appropriate... he owned a small-stakes game, and so what. Everyone knows Diablo can play, and would expect him to whoop ass at such a game. Given his bankroll, why couldn't he? Paul did exactly the same thing.
-Which once again brings us to bankroll. Yes, bankroll, sweet bankroll... truly the king of the NL poker world. Is there any one other factor more important to successful play at NL hold 'em than bankroll (assuming at least three functioning sensory organs, and a brain formed to the level of a reasonably intelligent 16 year-old)?

Finally, An informal poll. Who's the player you love to hate more: Paul Phillips or Phil Hellmuth?

pokergripes 04-04-2005 06:16 PM

What's wrong with you people? In PP you've got a very talented pro who spends a ton of time thinking about the game, and he's bothering to spend incremental time here talking about it with the likes of us (plus he's pretty funny to boot)--what's the goal of all this "you're ruuuude" crap?

To convince him not to post here anymore? I know, you guys all think you're plenty good, have lots of your own stuff to say and write, etc.--but you don't (neither do I), we benefit from the better players who bother to engage in the debate here on poker play, and whining about rudeness shouldn't even be in the top fifty issues list, let alone a leading item in the discussion.

pokergripes 04-04-2005 06:18 PM

Amen to that. Seriously, when did "mid-, high-stakes" pl and nl players become such a bunch of ninnies? You guys are supposed to be libertarians for pete's sake, you should be happy pp didn't stab you with a dagger when you racked up chips and left his game, then came back to say that it was nice to take some of his money and leave (oh, sorry, that it was "nice playing with him")... [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

NiceCatch 04-04-2005 06:24 PM

Umm... Paul ran away on his own, instead of standing his ground and defending (or modifying) his behavior. Obviously he's a little sensitive. He was treated the same as anyone else on this board would have been, given his behavior. KaneKungFu comes to mind... however, KKF is man enough to be responsible for his actions and not run away. KKF took whatever criticism he was given, dealt with it, and continues to post. Paul decided that he'd rather not be criticized.

Quite frankly, there are plenty of intelligent and talented poker players on this board, and plenty of insightful commentary will be posted by these players. I wouldn't worry too much about Paul not posting.

pokergripes 04-04-2005 06:30 PM

Yeah, I agree he was treated "the same as anyone else on this board would have been"--that's just a shame, since he was adding lots of incremental value (both analytical and entertainment), which probably should have meant better treatment (since he was doing it for free). But that's ok, eventually it will just be you whiney guys and vince debating big bet poker analysis--that will be great stuff! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

JoeC 04-04-2005 06:55 PM

So we should treat Paul Phillips different because he graces us with his presence here? Please. There are plenty of good players here, and they take heat all the time.

trying2learn 04-04-2005 07:07 PM

okay...i'm gonna keep this thing going (which is probably my first mistake.)

do you guys really think PP isn't going to ever post on 2+2 anymore? i find that highly unlikely. it would be a shame if that were so, but he's got his personal blog and rec poker that he posts on as well, so it's not like those who are all upset can't track the guy down if they want to.

personally, i think this whole thread has gotten completely out of whack. too much of a 'ta do' on both sides of a silly argument.

pokergripes 04-04-2005 07:11 PM

yes, you should treat him better because he provides you a huge net benefit by thinking about the game and sharing it with you for free. that is, you should treat him the way you'd treat a teacher in a school, not the way you'd treat someone in a relationship of equals--and for the same reason, i.e., respect for their greater stature (assuming you treat teachers with more deference for reasons beyond their ability to give you a bad grade)

jmgurgeh 04-04-2005 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Amen to that. Seriously, when did "mid-, high-stakes" pl and nl players become such a bunch of ninnies? You guys are supposed to be libertarians for pete's sake, you should be happy pp didn't stab you with a dagger when you racked up chips and left his game, then came back to say that it was nice to take some of his money and leave (oh, sorry, that it was "nice playing with him")... [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I guess Ram really did mean to put up some smack talk when he walked over to Paul, as evidenced by lines in this thread such as "I do respect your game and you seem like a nice guy," and "I don't say this with any air of grievance and would welcome the chance to play at your table again."

Gripes, I think you have officially surpassed Paul in posting the most asinine material in this entire thread. Again (apparently you missed this before), the issues presented were not attacks or whining; the only whining was done by 1) Paul and 2) people who lamented that Paul won't be around to tell them how much they suck anymore.

And we're supposed to be libertarians? Do you even know what a libertarian is?

SossMan 04-04-2005 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]