Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Top 5 sports games of the last 5 years (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=406596)

DrunkIrish05 12-28-2005 10:34 PM

Re: Top 5 sports games of the last 5 years

bartman
nd usc
il az
tosu miami
castillo corralles

12-28-2005 11:07 PM

let's add the overtime game 7 between the kings and lakers in the 2002 western conference finals.

Dudd 12-28-2005 11:24 PM

My five:

ND-USC
Castillo-Corralles I
Arizona-Gonzaga 2003 NCAA tourney
Games 4/5 of 2004 ALCS

pryor15 12-29-2005 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Arizona 96 - Gonzaga 95 in double OT in the 2003 tourney. I remember watching that game and being on the edge of my seat from midway through the first half on.

[/ QUOTE ]

hell of a game.

how about the 2004 ALCS game where Roberts stole 2nd? game 4, i think.

USC/ND this year

UMaine/Minn NCAA Hockey title game in 2001(?) was a hell of a game as well

there was a massive regular season baseball game in the last 3 years we're missing as well, but i can't remember what it was.

TheNoodleMan 12-29-2005 01:51 AM

Good call on the Ward/Gotti fights. They need to put out the trilogy as a box set DVD. Gotti fighting with a broken hand in III was the most get wrenching thing I have seen in quite a while.

12-29-2005 04:14 AM

1. Paul Pierce + Celtics 21 point comeback in 4th quarter of playoff game versus Nets.
2. Pats come back in snow against Raiders (tuck rule game W00t)
3. Arizona Gonzaga tournament game.
4. About 10 Red Sox games.
5. Pistons Nets playoff overtime game. Was the half court shot Chauncey or Rip?

Hornacek 12-29-2005 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
4. About 10 Red Sox games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your math sucks. And no. (this is coming from someone that lived in Boston the last 5 years. You're being biased.)

[ QUOTE ]
5. Pistons Nets playoff overtime game. Was the half court shot Chauncey or Rip?

[/ QUOTE ]

Chauncey.

TheNoodleMan 12-29-2005 10:22 AM

The Tuck rule game was great, but it sucks that it had to be decided by a dumb rule that no one had ever heard or

What about the 18 inning do or die game 5 between Houston and Atlanta this year?

pokerdirty 12-29-2005 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
2002 Fiesta Bowl - tOSU vs theU
2003 ALCS Game 7 - BOS @ NYY
*insert a Pats game w/ Viniteri GW FG here*

nothing else really that memorable to me, but then again, I don't really watch the NFL or NBA or CBB.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about this a little more, and would like to add the Walk Off Jeff Kent HR Game from the 04 NLCS.

kenberman 12-29-2005 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the list would probably include a lot of games most people didn't see, such as semi-obscure college bball or football.

Of the big ones, I think the 2003 ALCS game 7 should be on there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kentucky-Mich state last year in the elite eight was the best basketball game I have seen since Duke/Kentucky in 1992 or whenever. this didn't have the national important of a Super Bowl or World Series game or whatever, but the game itself was incredible.

Pats-Rams Super Bowl is the other one that sticks out for me. Gigantic upset, great game, game ending field goal, Tom Brady becomes a superstar, etc.

Bulldog 12-29-2005 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Arizona-Gonzaga 2003 NCAA tourney

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this one, but what about WVU vs Wake in last year's second round?

12-29-2005 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
2002 Fiesta Bowl - tOSU vs theU
2003 ALCS Game 7 - BOS @ NYY
*insert a Pats game w/ Viniteri GW FG here*

nothing else really that memorable to me, but then again, I don't really watch the NFL or NBA or CBB.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about this a little more, and would like to add the Walk Off Jeff Kent HR Game from the 04 NLCS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good pick. Backe and Williams throwing a phenomenal game. Beltran making game-saving catch in CF off of Renteria, then Kent going yard on Izzy. Great game.

Also, 2005 NLDS Astros-Braves 18-inning marathon in Game...4? Chris Burke series walk-off HR in bottom of 18th makes Roger Clemens a winner after pitching 3 scoreless innings of relief.

unlucky513 12-29-2005 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
NYY-BOS Game 7 last year

[/ QUOTE ]

certainly you mean 2003, the year the yankees won. in 2004, the game was over before it started. sure, it was 'memorable', or in my case 'forgettable', because they were the first team to come back from 3 down in MLB, but it wasn't much of a game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Certainly you mean Game 7 2001 WS Diamondbacks v. Yankees.

Clemens v. Schilling. Mentor v. Mentee. Soriano hits solo shot off of Schilling to take 2-1 lead late in game. D-Backs come back off of Rivera with good guys Grace and Gonzalez playing huge parts.

Best baseball game I've seen. I know you are Yankees fan but you have to admit it was a great game, win or lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

you could put 3 or 4 games from the 01 world series on this list - best world series i've seen (i'm only 21)

OSU/Miami
Game 7 01 World Series
USC/ND
Lakers/Spurs conference championship game 5 (?)

Hornacek 12-29-2005 04:07 PM

Feels like general consensus in this thread brings us to:

a) Ohio State/Miami University Fiesta Bowl (I think?)
b) 2001 World Series Game 7 NYY-ARI
c) USC/ND Regular Season Game
d) Super Bowl XXXVI NE/STL
e) Super Bowl XXXVIII NE/CAR

Honorable Mentions:
i) 2004 WCF Game 5 LAL/SAS (Duncan/Fisher)
ii) 2005 Rose Bowl UM/UT

lastchance 12-29-2005 04:13 PM

How about USC vs. Texas this year? The two best teams in the league, far and away. With any luck, it should get up there.

Hornacek 12-29-2005 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How about USC vs. Texas this year? The two best teams in the league, far and away. With any luck, it should get up there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's cross that road when we reach it. We all remember how USC-OU was supposed to be the "Game of the Century" last year as well, right? Right?

12-29-2005 04:46 PM

I think the music city miracle in the wild card game was the most unbelievable last few minutes in any sporting event ever. I thought the team that won that game would get to the Super Bowl before those playoffs started. Bills were on fire.

Dominic 12-30-2005 11:42 PM

can't believe no one has mentioned the game 6 of the 2002 World Series:

Spezio, Bonds's bobble, Glaus, etc...

MyTurn2Raise 12-30-2005 11:56 PM

good call Dominic...that game should be included

12-31-2005 01:47 AM

I'm suprised no one has mentioned Game Five of this past year's NBA Finals, Spurs at Pistons. The first four games were blowouts, then this amazing overtime game with Horry's 3-pointer with 5.8 seconds left.

MyTurn2Raise 12-31-2005 05:33 AM

didn't watch game 5 until the last 5 minutes because the first 4 were blowouts. Good game, but I cannot put it that high since I didn't really watch it.

McGahee 12-31-2005 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Titans-Rams SB wasn't that exciting. The first three quarters were actually quite boring IMO. It was just the last 10 minutes that made it "memorable", but not necessarily great.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the same can be said for Pats-Rams though. Brady was a very mediocre QB throughout that postseason.
I'm a huge NFL junkie and I can't really think of a dramatic well played game that sticks out enough to be on this list - maybe Pats-Panthers, but I never really thought Carolina was going to win the game even when they were ahead.

I think the guys on WFAN are right when they say the Arizona-Illinois game was the "biggest collapse in recent memory by a good team" so I dunno about that game either.
In terms of "well played dramatic games you didn't know what was going to happen and neither team deserved to lose" I'd definitely rank Gonzaga/Arizona and last year's Wake Forest/West Virginia as the top 2 in College Hoops. The latter made for some great Big East trash talking vs. the ACC talking heads for about a day untill Uconn dropped the ball vs. NIT St. the next day.

12-31-2005 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
can't believe no one has mentioned the game 6 of the 2002 World Series:

Spezio, Bonds's bobble, Glaus, etc...

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody has mentioned it because nobody really cares about the Giants or the Angels.

valenzuela 12-31-2005 03:55 PM

Ill pick one for each sport:

Baseball: I liked BOS vs NYY game 5 last year.
Basketball: Spurs vs Lakers game 5 last year.
Football: NE vs St.louis superbowl XXXVI
Soccer: Liverpool vs AC Milan this year.
Bonus: international soccer: Turker 4 Switzerland 2(4-4 agg. switzerland won on away goals)