Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Best SNL cast member (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=394028)

MikeSmith 12-08-2005 12:30 PM

Re: Best SNL cast member

[ QUOTE ]
I know some great skits are left out, but some of those cast members only had one or two good skits. Most of them can't compare to these legends. You can choose 3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Norm Macdonald should be on this, he did better weekend updates than anyone, even the previous weekend update "legends" said this, this list is good but missing good ones.

xadrez 12-08-2005 12:32 PM

Im pretty sure my eyes were open the 1st time I saw the DVD's. I said he was funny, just IMHO not nearly the funniest.

MonkeeMan 12-08-2005 12:52 PM

You people are comedy impaired. Either that or you're too young to have seen most of the selections.

I would have Will Ferrell near the bottom. I don't think he was all that on SNL. But he's leading the poll.

Give me Beluchi, Aykroyd, Hartman, Carvey, Murray, Radner, Sandler, Farley, Myers, Rock, and Chase before Ferrell.

I do like his film work, but he's bottom rung on SNL.

12-08-2005 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You people are comedy impaired. Either that or you're too young to have seen most of the selections.

I would have Will Ferrell near the bottom. I don't think he was all that on SNL. But he's leading the poll.

Give me Beluchi, Aykroyd, Hartman, Carvey, Murray, Radner, Sandler, Farley, Myers, Rock, and Chase before Ferrell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. Agreed. Can you throw Eddie Murphy into that list?

ScottieK

Cancuk 12-08-2005 01:00 PM

although they were only on for one year: Billy Crystal/Christopher Guest/Martin Short were halarious

MonkeeMan 12-08-2005 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. Agreed. Can you throw Eddie Murphy into that list?

ScottieK

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops, I meant to have Murphy in there too. Sorry Eddie.

jakethebake 12-08-2005 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Steve Martin was not technically a cast member

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true, and I don't think many people are aware of it. However, the point is probably moot for purposes of this poll.

Belushi
Farley
Ferrell

nyc999 12-08-2005 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to disagree here. In the 70's and then the late 80's/90's, SNL had some of the best comedy writers on television (not saying the cast members were bad, but they had great writing) - with the writers ranging from Al Franken to Conan O'Brien.

Over the past 10 years, the writing has been miserable at best (cable television has taken most of today's gifted comedy writers). Will Ferrell had the ability to take a horrible script and make it watchable, and he was extremely versatile in his characters.

samjjones 12-08-2005 01:13 PM

Fine. But Ferrell was still no Hartman. I mean, Ferrell's bald, bearded synthesizer guy vs. Hartman's Sinatra? Don't let Ferrell's movie work cloud your judgement. He was good, but he is overrated due to the company he had on the show.

nyc999 12-08-2005 01:24 PM

I agree. Hartman was also in my top 3, and is probably my number 1. As for Ferrell's SNL work, I didn't like his early recurring characters (bald guy and cheerleader). However, over time he really stepped it up, and it was his later characters that really sold me (Trebek, Lipton, Carray, the Jeffrey's guy), not to mention his other famous skits (Vietnam Vet nude model, cowbell, cat exec w/Vince Vaughn, office guy in u.s. flag speedo, etc.).

Shajen 12-08-2005 01:24 PM

I got chunks of guys like you in my stool!

benza13 12-08-2005 01:26 PM

What company and writing did Ferrell have his last few years on the show? FWIW I voted for Hartman and Belushi, with Ferrell as my third choice. Hartman was an absolute genius and Belushi was gold. I chose Ferrell third because he single-handedly saved the show for a few years and had some hilarious roles including Goulet, Trebek, More Cowbell, Bad Doctor and plenty of others I am forgetting.

DCJ311 12-08-2005 01:29 PM

This poll is fine and all, but why is Darrell Hammond not on the list? Hands down the best Bill Clinton impersonation I've ever seen, not to mention he did a great job as Chris Matthews (Hardball) and Sean Connery (Jeopardy). For a while he was fairly instrumental in carrying the show.

12-08-2005 02:36 PM

Are we voting on their SNL years or their overall accomplishments?

samjjones 12-08-2005 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What company and writing did Ferrell have his last few years on the show? FWIW I voted for Hartman and Belushi, with Ferrell as my third choice. Hartman was an absolute genius and Belushi was gold. I chose Ferrell third because he single-handedly saved the show for a few years and had some hilarious roles including Goulet, Trebek, More Cowbell, Bad Doctor and plenty of others I am forgetting.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ferrell had people like Chris Kattan, Cheri Oteri, and Horatio Sanz while he was there. Not exactly a murderer's row of comedy.

Soul Daddy 12-08-2005 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Ferrell had people like Chris Kattan, Cheri Oteri, and Horatio Sanz while he was there. Not exactly a murderer's row of comedy.

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly. It's a testament to his talent that the show remained watchable while he was on. As soon as he left it became a total trainwreck.

B Dids 12-08-2005 02:52 PM

"She (along with Hortatio Sanz) has that Hartman quality of being frikn HILARIOUS just by like putting on a wig."

Mentioning Horatio Sanz in this thread should be grounds for a lashing.

I think this is something that's impossible to measure or list, but I can sure as [censored] tell you who sucks, and Sanz is at the very top of that list.

samjjones 12-08-2005 02:53 PM

Good idea. "Worst SNL Cast Member Poll" coming soon...

Paluka 12-08-2005 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"She (along with Hortatio Sanz) has that Hartman quality of being frikn HILARIOUS just by like putting on a wig."

Mentioning Horatio Sanz in this thread should be grounds for a lashing.

I think this is something that's impossible to measure or list, but I can sure as [censored] tell you who sucks, and Sanz is at the very top of that list.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it true that Dids is the "Horatio Sans of OOT"?

obsidian 12-08-2005 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree. Hartman was also in my top 3, and is probably my number 1. As for Ferrell's SNL work, I didn't like his early recurring characters (bald guy and cheerleader). However, over time he really stepped it up, and it was his later characters that really sold me (Trebek, Lipton, Carray, the Jeffrey's guy), not to mention his other famous skits (Vietnam Vet nude model, cowbell, cat exec w/Vince Vaughn, office guy in u.s. flag speedo, etc.).

[/ QUOTE ]
Ferrell's Bush impersonation is one of the best ever.

Senor Cardgage 12-08-2005 03:41 PM

This was tough. I went for:

Belushi
Radner
Ferrell

B Dids 12-08-2005 03:46 PM

I am totally at war with Paluka now!

We are both fat, that is about where it stops. I'm pretty sure that I could do his job and not actually break down and laugh during 59% of sketches.

imported_The Vibesman 12-08-2005 03:58 PM

I think Horatio tended to break up at the same time as Jimmy Fallon. They probably smoked together before the show. That did suck.

But he was great as Billy Joel in the Lindsey Lohan episode, (bottle of red, bottle of white, uh, hey I think I got a bottle of peach schnapps back there...) and as Antonio Banderas' bandleader on the "How Do You Say? Oh Yes. Show."

"No, no, no, senor! Too sexy, too sexy!"

CIncyHR 12-08-2005 04:00 PM

Will ferrel is shite

slickpoppa 12-08-2005 04:05 PM

People in here are too young. How the hell is Dana Carvey so low?

imported_CaseClosed326 12-08-2005 04:17 PM

This is hard to choose a top three. The top ~10 were just so damn good.

MonkeeMan 12-08-2005 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
People in here are too young. How the hell is Dana Carvey so low?

[/ QUOTE ]

Carvey, and Dan Aykroyd at 3% are both insanely low.

Ringo_Mojo 12-08-2005 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the overall age of this board is to young for this poll, Every one on it is funny but Easily Belushi should be beating the likes of Hartman. Its evident in the likes the Will Ferrel is a top pick. Not that he's not good but the fact that alot seem to like him over some the 70's cast members is just showing age.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah thats what i was thinking, if your vote doesn't include Belushi then you're too young to be voting.

WDC 12-08-2005 05:41 PM

I chose Dan Ackroyd. I would have included Phil Hartman and Bill Murray if I noticed that I could have voted for three.

Of the women both Jane Curtain and Jan Hooks ahve to be given serius consideration for inclusion in this poll although bu far Gilda Radner was the funniest women castmenber.

youtalkfunny 12-08-2005 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Never heard of Gilda Radner?

[/ QUOTE ]
Dude. She's on the list. You are going to criticize me without even reading my post?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow! You put her on their after I noted her omission!

I didn't know you could do that? How did you do that?

Unless, I'm just a dope, who shot his mouth off without reading the OP carefully.

NAH! That couldn't have been it. I'm never wrong.

BluffTHIS! 12-08-2005 11:15 PM

Chris Farrell
Gilda Radner
Eddie Murphy

Eddie Murphy's portrayal of a lifer con turned poet was a classic.

Images . . . by Tyrone Green
On de ledge
dark at night
See de doggie
do he bite?
Kill de landlord!
Kill de landlord!

Wes ManTooth 12-08-2005 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bill Murray is awesome. Phil Hartman is SNL.

[/ QUOTE ]

grabdemankles 12-08-2005 11:20 PM

Farley. Hartman. Ferrell.

imo

12-08-2005 11:32 PM

Why no love for Dana Carvey best cast member of best era (late 80s early 90s)

12-08-2005 11:37 PM

I will be the first to admit Im far too young for this, as with the exception of Ferell, and the guy who did Connery (taught me how to do connery) the show has completely and utterly sucked ass during my experience with it.

hey guys, who did HAMBURGER HAMBURGER HAMBURGER!?!

whoever that was, it was one of the shows of that era that was my favorite.

also, two wild and crazy guys is hilarious. VH1 actually did a really good job of the top 100 SNL moments ever.

mj12 12-09-2005 12:00 AM

this is possibly the most difficult question ever.
its like asking who the best artist ever is

astroglide 12-09-2005 12:10 AM

norm missing = i'm not even going to bother voting or read this thread

mj12 12-09-2005 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
have u seen his best of SNL DVD it is hilarious. Altho i think Farleys is the best

mj12 12-09-2005 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How in the hell is adam sandler only getting 4 votes.

I think Im too young to fully appreciate the older cast members, although I own the best of eddie.

[/ QUOTE ]
becuz of his recent movies, if he just made billy madison id think hed have many more

lastsamurai 12-09-2005 12:29 AM

if you were born after 1975.....

when i was a 12 year old kid my brother and i would listen to eddie murphy delirous...

http://www.harlemonline.com/PhotoGal...3Buckwheat.jpg

HI I'M BUCKWHEAT...REMEMBER ME? OHH TAY!

http://gravyboat.tripod.com/pics/caps/6.jpg

AND Mr. Robinsons Neighborhood...

I once met a woman and she was rich...took all her money walked out on the bitch! would you be mine..would you be mine...wont you be my neighbor!

I have a riddle...whats half black...half Puerto Rican...and has eyes like me?