Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   lexus is250 vs hoopty (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=398002)

slipoker 12-14-2005 07:30 PM

Re: lexus is250 vs hoopty

Save another 10k and buy a Lotus Elise..... The answer is that simple... If that's not a choice, go with the Lexus, you're 19 once, live it up.

ScottyP431 12-14-2005 07:30 PM

Am I the only one who thinks this car is really gay? I mean, for 40K you could get a pretty sic
-mustang
-charger
-Any numberof SUV's
-Unreal classic car (GTO, cuda, trans am etc. with like 400 horses and an insane after market stereo)

and your going for a 4 cylinder mid size sports sedan? What?

THATWACOKID 12-14-2005 07:33 PM

funny you mention the elise. up until yesterday i had my heart set on one. unfortunately, the lotus elise might be THE most impractical car i could buy. they are sexy as hell, though. don't even get me started on the exige ...

slipoker 12-14-2005 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one who thinks this car is really gay? I mean, for 40K you could get a pretty sic
-mustang
-charger
-Any numberof SUV's

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you are talking about the old charger/mustang, the new ones are god awful. And as for SUV's, who would want one with gas prices the way they are?

Ulysses 12-14-2005 07:34 PM

Scotty,

I don't even know what this model is. If I were him and wanted a Lexus, I'd prob go sc340. If that's too much, maybe a Boxster (or preferably Boxster S).

slipoker 12-14-2005 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
funny you mention the elise. up until yesterday i had my heart set on one. unfortunately, the lotus elise might be THE most impractical car i could buy. they are sexy as hell, though. don't even get me started on the exige ...

[/ QUOTE ]

You never mentionted practicality (is that word?)..... What are your intentions with this car...

slipoker 12-14-2005 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If that's too much, maybe a Boxster (or preferably Boxster S).

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're going to spend your money on a Porsche, at least get a Carerra.

SomethingClever 12-14-2005 07:37 PM

http://www.staintune.com.au/exhausts...20620%20ie.jpg

GUY ON THE INTERNET SAYS BUY A DUCATI, YOU FX^#ING DO IT!

12-14-2005 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
-mustang
-charger
-Any numberof SUV's
-Unreal classic car (GTO, cuda, trans am etc. with like 400 horses and an insane after market stereo)

and your going for a 4 cylinder mid size sports sedan? What?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, Im with you. Although the cars you listed arent real cool either, mustangs/chargers etc. I like the SUV/Classic Car option though. Or do get a couple cars, thats what I decided on. I have a jeep wrangler for the summer/off-roading, a superbee Im restoring (although you can probably find one in decent condidtion). Mine is going to be similar to this. http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclec...rbee-1969a.jpg and a Deville for everyday use. If you are doing it for the chick factor you are definetly going to pull more tail driving a classic, than your suped up toyota:
http://automobilemag.com/auto_shows/...exus_is_11.jpg

eviljeff 12-14-2005 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
mr. diablo,

this is the post i was looking for! you totally helped me justify a ridiculous purchase.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

slipoker 12-14-2005 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

http://www.staintune.com.au/exhausts...20620%20ie.jpg

GUY ON THE INTERNET SAYS BUY A DUCATI, YOU FX^#ING DO IT!

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, you gotta get a bike... maybe a 20k "hoopty" and a bike? Mmmmmm

Ulysses 12-14-2005 07:39 PM

sl,

Boxsters start around 40, 911s around 70. That's prob too much of a stretch given his budget goals.

slipoker 12-14-2005 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sl,

Boxsters start around 40, 911s around 70. That's prob too much of a stretch given his budget goals.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh I know.... but I'm just saying... If you're going to bother getting a Porsche, don't get a Boxster. They just scream... Hey I finally got a real job (after college), and my first paycheck, time to pretend I'm rich.... At least that's all I see in the people who drive them here.

Ulysses 12-14-2005 07:42 PM

sl,

"They just scream... Hey I finally got a real job (after college)"

Maybe after college, but right now for this kid, it screams to all the hot college chicks "look at me, I'm 19 and have a brand new Porsche!"

Voltron87 12-14-2005 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Lexus's aren't even cool in Texas.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope that isn't some east coast bias. Texas is big, and yes I would say it leans a bit to the country side. But living in the 4 big cities (H-town, Big D, SA, and Austin) are quite urbanized. Haven't you ever seen a Mike Jones video?

[/ QUOTE ]

you forgot to put "big" in quotes.

waco- imo theres much more you can do with the money rather than buy a overpriced car. the finance is pretty simple, car loses value, insurance is a [censored], etc. i honestly think that its pretty vulgar and im not sure how much it will genuinely attrack peoples postive attention. it is hard to live up to the cash spending rep that you will get if your are like yayo in the lexus, the golddiggers will see this and bounce out. if you are a baller and make good money from poker it will show in subtle ways, you dont have to flaunt it. esp when in college and on the golf team... i dont see how you should need that much help.

slipoker 12-14-2005 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sl,

"They just scream... Hey I finally got a real job (after college)"

Maybe after college, but right now for this kid, it screams to all the hot college chicks "look at me, I'm 19 and have a brand new Porsche!"

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true, and if you say you got it by playing poker.... Guaranteed action...

Ulysses 12-14-2005 07:48 PM

Voltron,

It's not that he needs the help, it's that he's looking to take his game to the next level in a fun, somewhat over-the-top manner. Just living it up, who knows what might happen tomorrow? Sure, he'll have 300k in 30 years if he sticks it in the bank, but there's a lot of other ways to make 300k. And who knows, he might not be alive in 30 years. What good is that 300k then?

For people who still don't understand it, check out Last Holiday on January 13.

Voltron87 12-14-2005 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Voltron,

It's not that he needs the help, it's that he's looking to take his game to the next level in a fun, somewhat over-the-top manner. Just living it up, who knows what might happen tomorrow? Sure, he'll have 300k in 30 years if he sticks it in the bank, but there's a lot of other ways to make 300k. And who knows, he might not be alive in 30 years. What good is that 300k then?

For people who still don't understand it, check out Last Holiday on January 13.

[/ QUOTE ]

first im not even convinced that the car will be that great for getting girls, it is easy to get ass in college, and the girls he will get with an is250 will not be unworldly in quality and will be annoying and all that. we are talking about a lexus, not a ferrari or top end porsche (not to knock the lexus, but its a big gap).

2nd your financial analysis sucks, but you are funny in character. nh.

Ulysses 12-14-2005 08:04 PM

Voltron,

The 300k is not from sticking all the money in the bank, just the difference between buying an awesome car and a less awesome car.

As I said before, I have no idea about the is250. That's why I suggested something like a Porsche instead. For his purposes, I think the Boxster would do fine.

Obviously, like Ed Miller, when you get older you will have plenty of money in your investment account to buy a nice minivan and white picket fence for your house, which is cool.

WACOKID however, is more concerned about partying like a rock star for as long as possible - more power to him.

ScottyP431 12-14-2005 08:07 PM

Slipoker,
You don't like the new mustang? Not even the speciel edition Bullit ones?

Guids,

I operate on the "if its good enough for 50" principle of cool, so if i was going for a sedan around 40k I would definately roll the 300.

El D,
Your taste in Lexis is much better than the OP's

OP',
I asked my GF (born and raised in Waco)what kind of vehicle would be most +EP in Waco and she concurred with some of the other posters "some kind of big expensive truck".

I agree with El D though, you're to young to be thinking about saving etc, get some wheels.

12-14-2005 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Voltron,

The 300k is not from sticking all the money in the bank, just the difference between buying an awesome car and a less awesome car.

As I said before, I have no idea about the is250. That's why I suggested something like a Porsche instead. For his purposes, I think the Boxster would do fine.

Obviously, like Ed Miller, when you get older you will have plenty of money in your investment account to buy a nice minivan and white picket fence for your house, which is cool.

WACOKID however, is more concerned about partying like a rock star for as long as possible - more power to him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the point is, rockstars dont drive Lexus'. Im all for blowing money on dumb [censored], but if you are going to pull a move and buy a car too expensive for your age group, buy something much flashier.

david050173 12-14-2005 08:23 PM

I guess I am a bit biased but I doubt anyone will even notice a lexus or bmw. The high school parking lots I drive by are packed with them. I assume the reason he picked the IS250 is cause he likes it (you can't compare the 2006 is to the previous generation. The cars have changed way too much). If his only goal is to pick up chicks, there are probably better ways of blowing the cash (20k used bmw, 5k on clothes, 10k on the killer crib,...)

TheRover 12-14-2005 08:25 PM

Just don't get a classic car, you'd probably [censored] it up and make it look [censored].

12-14-2005 08:42 PM

Are you crazy 40k on a car?!

you're gonna want to spend that money on a watch, watches are timeless

http://byzauction.com/ioffer/nx/rx21.jpg

you're gonna need that watch

Ed Miller 12-14-2005 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Lexus's aren't even cool in Texas.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope that isn't some east coast bias. Texas is big, and yes I would say it leans a bit to the country side. But living in the 4 big cities (H-town, Big D, SA, and Austin) are quite urbanized. Haven't you ever seen a Mike Jones video?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't !@#$ with my Texas cred. An Austinite too. I've been to:

Abilene
Amarillo
Austin
Beaumont
Brownsville
Childress
Corpus Christi
Dallas
Denton
Edinburg
Fort Worth
Galveston
Houston
Jasper
McAllen
Mineral Wells
Nacogdoches
Port Arthur
San Antonio
Tyler
Vider
Waco
Wichita Falls
...and I was born in Lubbock.

And I know full well that in Waco they like their !@#$ing trucks.

Ed Miller 12-14-2005 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one who thinks this car is really gay?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not the only one. 90% of the Baylor girls think so too.

Ulysses 12-14-2005 08:55 PM

TWC,

I just looked up the is250. Whoa. Bad choice! I don't think it looks impressive at all.

Spend that money (maybe a little more than you planned) and pick up a sweet flashy car that will really turn heads!

THATWACOKID 12-14-2005 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're not the only one. 90% of the Baylor girls think so too.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are WAAAYY off. this things got a button that cleans the damn headlights for christs sake. may not be very useful but it sure is cool!

Ed Miller 12-14-2005 08:58 PM

I got a better idea for your money...

You want some love in Waco, you get yourself one of these.

LittleOldLady 12-14-2005 09:03 PM

Re: I got a better idea for your money...

[ QUOTE ]
You want some love in Waco, you get yourself one of these.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too true! LOL

TMFS9 12-14-2005 09:14 PM

Paying off a 40k car while 19 years old should do wonders for your credit, which could save you a good bit of money in the future. So while there is a general waste for buying this expensive of a car it's not all terrible.

Supersetoy 12-14-2005 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Paying off a 40k car while 19 years old should do wonders for your credit, which could save you a good bit of money in the future. So while there is a general waste for buying this expensive of a car it's not all terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why has no one suggested the option of leasing it?

If it's all for "status" while you're in college, make a small downpayment on it, and who cares about the monthly payments? Throw it away after 3 years and hopefully by then you'll have grown up a little bit and realized that HOUSES are more important than EXPENSIVE cars.

I was like you when I was 17. I bought myself a brand new Civic Si (laugh now, but all of my friends drooled, and the girls loved it in college), dumped another 10K hooking it up, and my Junior year it was stolen (of course).

After that point, I realized that cars were a huge waste of money, picked up a GTi that I paid in full from my insurance money and haven't had a car payment for the past 3 years. (And don't plan on having one for another 5 at least).

Now, I've got a good job (and play cards PT) and am buying a brand new $500K house in the Seattle burbs. Believe me, a nice, new, HUGE house will get you much more status than some depreciating asset ever will (you'll think this way soon enough).

slipoker 12-14-2005 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Slipoker,
You don't like the new mustang? Not even the speciel edition Bullit ones?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, no I do not, I think they're terrible looking. From my experience people either love or hate the car, nothing in between.

slipoker 12-14-2005 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Voltron,

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the point is, rockstars dont drive Lexus'. Im all for blowing money on dumb [censored], but if you are going to pull a move and buy a car too expensive for your age group, buy something much flashier.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about an early 90's NSX? You can pick em up for just over 30k if you're lucky.

12-14-2005 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why has no one suggested the option of leasing it?

If it's all for "status" while you're in college, make a small downpayment on it, and who cares about the monthly payments? Throw it away after 3 years and hopefully by then you'll have grown up a little bit and realized that HOUSES are more important than EXPENSIVE cars.

I was like you when I was 17. I bought myself a brand new Civic Si (laugh now, but all of my friends drooled, and the girls loved it in college), dumped another 10K hooking it up, and my Junior year it was stolen (of course).

After that point, I realized that cars were a huge waste of money, picked up a GTi that I paid in full from my insurance money and haven't had a car payment for the past 3 years. (And don't plan on having one for another 5 at least).

Now, I've got a good job (and play cards PT) and am buying a brand new $500K house in the Seattle burbs. Believe me, a nice, new, HUGE house will get you much more status than some depreciating asset ever will (you'll think this way soon enough).

[/ QUOTE ]

Just get a penile implant, its much cheaper in the long run. Seriously, I understand the whole cool car thing, and getting chicks, but if your guys' whole life revolves around status etc, you are doomed to be unhappy the rest of your life. Grow up, realize that buying stuff doesnt make you cool, and stop being morons. Buy a really expensive car, because you like it. Not so other people will like you.

surfinillini 12-14-2005 09:44 PM

Lexus is one of the most reliable and luxurious cars on the market, definitely worth the money regardless of previous posters comments. My family has a new Lexus GS series and it is one of the nicest cars I've ever been in, seen, and driven.

With that being said, what the [censored] does a 19 year old little [censored] need a 44K car for. Do you push drugs?

DO YOU HAVE ANY [censored] IDEA WHAT INSURANCE WOULD COST YOU FOR THAT CAR BEING 19 YEARS OLD, YOU NEED COLLISION/COMP/LIABILITY/LOAN LEASE GAP IN CASE YOU TOTAL THE CAR...

This is a stupid purchase at your age and you should be punched in the face or this retard thread.

Voltron87 12-14-2005 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With that being said, what the [censored] does a 19 year old little [censored] need a 44K car for. Do you push drugs?

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFL

genius

Ulysses 12-14-2005 09:50 PM

TWC,

Please don't let the jealous haters get you down. I can tell you for sure what they weren't doing at 19.

Have you considered some of the other cars (Porsche, sc340, etc.) mentioned in this thread?

12-14-2005 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TWC,

Please don't let the jealous haters get you down. I can tell you for sure what they weren't doing at 19.

Have you considered some of the other cars (Porsche, sc340, etc.) mentioned in this thread?

[/ QUOTE ]

First off its a SC 430. The IS250/350 is the best car in its class by far. Lexus is rated number one in almost all car magazines in almost all categories. Until one of you has owned a Lexus and or test driven/sat in a Lexus IS250/350 dont knock it. I dont understand how you guys can post about something you know nothing about. Like the guy who kept posting about the price of the car. The car is 32k all the way up to 47k. BMW/Mercedes technology options do not come close to this car. Lexus is the best made car in the world if you want to dispute that pick up a Car and Driver and read for your self.

THATWACOKID 12-15-2005 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
DO YOU HAVE ANY [censored] IDEA WHAT INSURANCE WOULD COST YOU FOR THAT CAR BEING 19 YEARS OLD, YOU NEED COLLISION/COMP/LIABILITY/LOAN LEASE GAP IN CASE YOU TOTAL THE CAR...

[/ QUOTE ]

actually, yeah, i do. i can pay a year's worth with about half of what i won today [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]