Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Three bands you must see live if you love music (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=82949)

baggins 04-29-2004 01:29 PM

Re: Three bands you must see live if you love music

some of the best shows i've seen:

Godspeed You Black Emperor!
U2 at Soldier's Field
Jimmy Page and Robert Plant
Black Sabbath
Guns N Roses (pretty damn good show, even if it was Axl and a new band. Buckethead rules!)
Clutch (always a good show with these cats)
Iron Maiden and Fear Factory
Joseph Arthur
White Zombie
TOOL
Overcome
ZAO

thirddan 04-29-2004 01:51 PM

Now thats more like it...

If possible every metal fan should see Slayer live

and if they are in your area check out Lamb of God...

Gewurtztraminer 04-29-2004 01:53 PM

If you like the Old 97's, if you get a chance you need to catch:
Slobberbone
Drive By Truckers
Though they are not quite as pop influenced as Rhett Miller and the Old 97s, their shows are top notch.
I have been on a big Alt-Country kick for many years now.

Gewürtztraminer - "I must have been stoned, when this whole thing started."

Ulysses 04-29-2004 03:30 PM

Godspeed You Black Emperor! - Great shows.

U2 at Soldier's Field - One band I unfortunately never got a chance to see in a small venue. Their stadium show was good, but would have loved something smaller.

Jimmy Page and Robert Plant - Liked it a lot.

Guns N Roses (pretty damn good show, even if it was Axl and a new band. Buckethead rules!) - I saw them open for the Cult in a pretty small place before Welcome to the Jungle hit the radio. Wow. I saw them again w/ Soundgarden opening. That was great, except for the two hours between acts it took Axl to get ready. But they did fill one hour of that time w/ chicks taking off their tops for the video screens, so that was cool. Soundgarden in a tiny club was incredible as well.

TOOL - Unfortunately, have never been in town when they came through. I haven't seen A Perfect Circle either. I really hope to catch both.

Ed I 04-29-2004 03:35 PM

Re: Three bands I wish I\'d seen live

I saw the Doors late 60s in Seattle. They were the final act at a three day event. Morrison was so wiped out that he couldn't even get through a song. Basically all he did was hump the mike stand and try to sing a verse or two. The band seemed bummed. I was very dissapointed. 5 dollar charge for three days of music,some 20 groups,camping included. The good old days I think.

ericd 04-29-2004 03:49 PM

Oops. I hit reply by mistake. Since I did, has anyone ever seen Jimi Hendrix? Rumor has it that he used to open for the Monkees.

CCass 04-29-2004 04:01 PM

My 3 Favorites

Pink Floyd (post Roger Waters)
Jimmy Buffett (everybody has a good time)
Hank Williams Jr. / Sawyer Brown / Kentucky Headhunters

All were seen live in a stadium/amphitheater setting.

whiskeytown 04-29-2004 04:07 PM

Jimi did open a few times for the Monkees - One of the Monkees heard him and dug him, and invited him to open up for them on tour...

the Equivlent would be Prince opening for the Backstreet Boys - an audience of teeny-boppers who couldn't appreciate the opening act and just screamed for Davy Jones - Hendrix quit early, as I recall - they didn't get his music -

remember - the monkees were primarly a boy band, - pre-fab, not much of songwriters - and generally teen idols until later in life -

RB

swimfan 04-29-2004 05:00 PM

Pixies
Pixies
Pixies

Looks like they're going on tour, of course they're not hitting the east coast.

Radiohead

Every time I see them, it's an incredible experience.

Saw someone mention Pavement, Malkmus (sp?) opened for Radiohead last year, was pretty good. The chick in his band is H-O-T!

Bruce Springsteen

Can't believe noone has mentioned this yet.

Black Train Jack

Fun band live, this is around '94 or so when Blink-182 was starting.

Ulysses 04-29-2004 05:31 PM

Pixies, Sept 24 at the Greek Theatre (open-air amphitheatre) in Berkeley, one of my favorite non-club venues anywhere (along w/ Red Rocks and a couple of others). Got my tix April 18. I'm very excited, having never seen them live.