Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Poker goals (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=64830)

triplc 01-30-2004 06:41 PM

Re: Poker goals

Congrats on the book, Cris...it's too bad I have nothing as big as that to shamelessly promote. Wish I did...although I did get rave reviews on my annual Christmas letter this year...

And I have to strongly disagree with you on the Necco wafers...kind of like eating Poker Chips, I would imagine. I'm a Junior Mints guy myself.

Good luck with the new book(s)...

CCC

triplc 01-30-2004 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2. Become better at handling bad beats. My problem is not going on tilt, but rather having it affect my mood in things other than poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear that. I get into very foul moods after a bad session at the table. Luckily, I usually play at night, so I simply fume in bed for awhile while I relive the bad beats in my head until I mercifully fall asleep, so my wife and kids don't have to deal with "Angry Poker" dad.

HajiShirazu 01-31-2004 04:15 AM

1. Try to find some more live games on campus. Get more live poker experience period.
2. Have the bankroll to play 3/6 by march. I had about $1500 and was playing some 2/4 and 3/6, along with the 1/2 6 max that I built it up with, but then I bought christmas presents for people, and then my computer broke, and I bought a new one. I then started to run bad in the 6 max, only being up like 80 bucks after a few weeks of play. I decided to stop playing 6 max altogether, because I think my style is not well-suited for those games. I decided I would cash out and try to build my bankroll up to 1800 from 300, starting at .5/1 and going up when I hit 300bb for each level, because it seemed like fun. So I'm back to .5/1 for now. Made $100 in three days, playing 6 tables at a time for around 8 or 9 hours, have $400 now. It's actually pretty fun playing 6 tables at a time. I'll move up to 1/2 when I hit $600, which hopefully won't take too long. I have the dual monitor thing going.
3. Get to where I'm playing high enough that I can't maximize my profit by playing 6 tables, and have to play real poker, only playing 1 or 2 tables at a time. Learn to play real poker-read opponents, make bluffs, etc. I feel that I have a top-notch understanding of the fundamentals and mathematics of the game, but perhaps I am not very good at the personal aspect.
4. Study up more about the ultra-fun game of pot limit omaha. Also, get better at NL cash games. I am terrible at these, although I have done well in SNG's.
5. Become more aggressive overall.

William 01-31-2004 07:09 PM

Hi all,

My goals are of course a little higher than yours, but I have one comment and that is to read carefully Al Capone Junior's post. You can't get much closer to the truth.

GL all with your goals. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
William

eastbay 01-31-2004 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Absolutely NOT. Bonus whoring is for schmucks who want to get their poker money not by really being a good player, but by simply fleecing the bonus systems.

[/ QUOTE ]

Weird prejudice.

You mean as opposed to fleecing the other players? The only difference is mostly likely that the poker sites can afford it, whereas the players often cannot.

So-called "bonus whoring" is just another game which may be +EV if played well.

eastbay

William 01-31-2004 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Absolutely NOT. Bonus whoring is for schmucks who want to get their poker money not by really being a good player, but by simply fleecing the bonus systems.

[/ QUOTE ]

Weird prejudice.

You mean as opposed to fleecing the other players? The only difference is mostly likely that the poker sites can afford it, whereas the players often cannot.

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. It takes all kinds to make a world [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

La Brujita 01-31-2004 08:40 PM

William,

I would love to hear your goals, even though you may be at a bit of a different stage then us. Also, if you have any interest, I would love to hear your poker biography/experiences to give me/us something to look forward to.

P.S. Maybe you all have done it before many times, but I just won three tournaments in a row and am going for my fourth. This is my record. Does anyone have a sick record like six or seven or eight?

Regards

eastbay 01-31-2004 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Weird prejudice.

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. It takes all kinds to make a world [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I don't "bonus whore" because it usually involves raked games, but I could see how it could be +EV if that's what you played. Do you not think so?

I would say the same thing of buying a used car or real estate. Those are also games that are +EV for those that are good at them.

eastbay

Edge34 01-31-2004 10:01 PM

Hey Brujita,

Don't mean to brag, but even though i play the low buy-ins, I had a run of 5 or 6 a few months ago...hope you beat it!

As for my goals, i started 2004 on a sort-of OIC/Poker Oddessey challenge, starting with 50 bucks and working my way up. By the end of 2004, I hope to be playing regularly in the 5/10 games (currently just about to get to the 1/2s from the .5/1s.)

And oh yeah, win a bunch of tournies on Royal's site, if only because they're giving away free money just to sign up. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

-Edge

Al_Capone_Junior 01-31-2004 10:42 PM

I think my further comments on the matter of bonus whoring should have explained that quite well. But if you want to play for twenty years at a lousy site to get a 100% bonus, go for it. Using one's brains should extend to bonus whoring as well as other, more important aspects of poker, such as whether you can play worth a damn or not.

al