Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   J5s in the BB hand (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=57772)

happyjaypee 12-19-2003 03:14 AM

Re: J5s in the BB hand-stack sizes?

[ QUOTE ]
you forgot to post the stack sizes for this hand

[/ QUOTE ]

Doh! I had around 45$ or 50$, he had the same.

[ QUOTE ]
By the way, the range of hands you put him on on the flop includes KQ

[/ QUOTE ]

I ment QJ, not KQ, for openender plus two overcards. But since he did'nt toke the free cardon turn, I disregarded that possibility.

-Happy [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

happyjaypee 12-19-2003 03:33 AM

Re: J5s in the BB hand

[ QUOTE ]
You said that he would have raised with AK, but should that have been KQ? (it's KQ that makes the straight, AK doesn't do anything).

[/ QUOTE ]

Your right, I ment KQ, my bad...

[ QUOTE ]
Do you know that SB is not on a flush draw? (You implied this, I'm guessing because SB wouldn't lead at the pot on the flop with a flush draw)

[/ QUOTE ]

On the flop I'm not sure yet. But as I said, He always take the freecard on the turn when semibluffing so is turn bet tells me this.

[ QUOTE ]
Finally it looks to me like you could have raised on the river, given your read, as you were sure he didn't have a hand that could beat yours. If he did have T9, he certainly would have called a reasonable sized raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, he precisely had the only hand I see him calling a raise with and loosing, T9. But T9 was a possible hand in my mind, not an absolut. I really thought he had just a T on the flop. AT, KT, QT or JT. Had I know he had Top 2 on the flop, I would have folded right there. But my read evolved whit the hand.

happyjaypee 12-19-2003 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One question: Did you really make that precise a read (all your cool, green commentary) or is some of it after-the-fact rationalization?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's my actual thought process during the hand. Note however that I did'nt put him precisely on T9 but rather on a range of hand of witch 75% I could beat.

AT, KT, QT = 12 possibilities each for 36 hands
JT = 9 possibilities
T9s (He don't play T9o) = 2 possibilities

That's 47 hands. And I thought I could beat 36 of them, about 75%.

But he really DID have one in the 25% hand that beated me...

Shaun 12-19-2003 05:29 AM

Re: J5s in the BB hand-stack sizes?

I seem to be in the minority here but I think you played this correctly. You can't be looking for monsters under the bed everytime someone bets and you have a non-nut flush draw. Limon may be right if you are playig against all-world tight-a** competition, but against typical small buy-in players I would play this way much of the time.

Calling this down accomplishes two things: Winning the pot, and establishing a non-rock image. If you only play nut flush draws you will miss out on huge amounts of money, as long as you can laydown flushes when u suspect a higher one. There is nothing that puts people on tilt more than a hand like J5s sucking them out when they had top two. If you never make plays like this you will miss out on a lot of action IMO.

tewall 12-19-2003 12:06 PM

I agree with this. I was trying to think of a pot size/stack size ratio that would make this call good, and couldn't think of any. The position is just too bad.