Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   This Hand Got Ugly Quick - Thoughts (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=397166)

Pedigree 12-12-2005 10:25 PM

Re: This Hand Got Ugly Quick - Thoughts

Preflop I'm on the button. I've got a pair. True, the pot is only laying 5.5 to 2 currently, but will likely have 2 more SB before we see the flop. I guess it's marginal but I don't think it's that unreasonable to try and flop a set.

On the flop the pot contained 9 bets when it got to me. The flop didn't seem very good for high cards and my read was only for 30 hands. I certainly wouldn't put it past this guy to make a continuation bet on the flop after only reading him for "pretty passive". Again, probably a bad play but was it really that unreasonable. If so, tell me...

Eeegah 12-12-2005 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would fold:

(1) preflop,

[/ QUOTE ]

OP already explained that he thought BB was coming along and would increase his implied odds if he hit his set.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not good enough. The fact that he's LAG means we could quite possibly be paying four to see the flop. They're gonna have to go to war something fierce if we're going to make up however much, particularly after adjusting for the 20-25% of the time your set loses.

Or he could fold, as we saw.

12-12-2005 11:47 PM

Call for 1 more bet on flop, and fold UI on turn. Even if you have the best hand at the moment, it is very vulnerable to overcards.

12-13-2005 12:22 AM

::grunch::

This hand was ugly from the word go... Pocket 6's are not a hand I normally cold-call with. Then, you don't hit your set on the flop, but raise anyway with 3rd pair. Then another card he could pair with to beat your pair hits the turn, and you spew^H^H^H^H call again. Finally, a scare card for him hits on the river, saving you the agony of spending yet another BB to see him turn over a Queen.

In summary -
Pre-flop - fold
Flop - fold
Turn - fold
River - You might as well bet here and see if he believes you were holding out for an Ace all this time. If your karma is good, he'll fold his KQ.

12-13-2005 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop I'm on the button. I've got a pair. True, the pot is only laying 5.5 to 2 currently, but will likely have 2 more SB before we see the flop. I guess it's marginal but I don't think it's that unreasonable to try and flop a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are the odds of flopping a set given a pair in your hand? (Hint: it's not 2.75:1)

Actually, never mind - are you on the Party $.50/$1 tables right now, and if so, what is your screen name?

12-13-2005 12:41 AM

I think I would have folded on the flop. Sixes are lower that second pair and a lot of overcards can come. Maybe if you had 9s or better. Does that make sense? I am still reasonably new to the game.

Pedigree 12-13-2005 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What are the odds of flopping a set given a pair in your hand? (Hint: it's not 2.75:1)

Actually, never mind - are you on the Party $.50/$1 tables right now, and if so, what is your screen name?

[/ QUOTE ]

My name is Pedigree5. Based on the fact that you advocate folding on the turn with 6 outs getting over 8 to 1 odds please add me to your buddy list and feel free to sit down at any table I'm at.

@bsolute_luck 12-13-2005 12:11 PM

i know you explained preflop, but i don't buy it. you have a poster who might fold and you need more than 1 other person in the hand.

i actually don't mind the initial flop raise as JJ/TT would have difficulty calling as well as AJ and lower. AK would fold the turn UI, but once he 3-bets, i think you're screwed and would have folded there as you have ~2.5 outs and need to get ~18:1 to call, which you're not.

a LP isn't bluffing a hand you beat when he 3-bets here. what did he have? KK i'm guessing.

12-13-2005 12:14 PM

If he's behind on the flop, then he doesn't have the odds to chase the last two sixes: calling the flop with the intention of c/f the turn UI is bad.

I fold this preflop. Calling is horrible. You simply don't want to play sixes in a raised three-way pot (which was your intention).

The only other option is reraising to knock out the blinds, get it heads up with position, and take control of the hand. You're pushing a slim advantage over overcards, and you might be getting slaughtered by a better pair, so it's an easy laydown. Just let this go, and wait for better spots.

Pedigree 12-13-2005 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i know you explained preflop, but i don't buy it. you have a poster who might fold and you need more than 1 other person in the hand.

i actually don't mind the initial flop raise as JJ/TT would have difficulty calling as well as AJ and lower. AK would fold the turn UI, but once he 3-bets, i think you're screwed and would have folded there as you have ~2.5 outs and need to get ~18:1 to call, which you're not.

a LP isn't bluffing a hand you beat when he 3-bets here. what did he have? KK i'm guessing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was hoping to get two other people to come along (making the pot 7.5 bets not including the 2 that I'm calling) to play a four-handed, raised pot with 1.5 SB of dead money in it. It almost worked out like that but not quite. I agree about folding to the flop 3-bet.