Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Red Sox pay $11 million to rid themselves of Edgar Renteria (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=394197)

TheRover 12-08-2005 04:11 PM

Re: Red Sox pay $11 million to rid themselves of Edgar Renteria

[ QUOTE ]
They didn't give up Betemit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where's he playing then? He would've been better than Renteria next year.

pryor15 12-08-2005 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As a Braves fan, al I can say is:

[censored]!

[/ QUOTE ]

why are the Braves giving away Marte so cheap? boston would be insane not to do this.

is it just me, or is this been a crazier than normal off-season so far?

Dynasty 12-08-2005 07:35 PM

Andy Marte is a good enough prospect that this trade could end up being seen as a great steal by the Red Sox in a few years. Of course, it all depends on whether Marte reaches his potential.

It leaves a hole for the Red Sox at shortstop. Apparently, the Julio Lugo trade talk has died.

But, there's still a shortstop on the market that most Red Sox fans would like to see signed- Nomar Garciaparra.

Jim Kuhn 12-08-2005 07:58 PM

I think to put this trade into perspective you have to look at the deal two ways. One, look at the deal if the trade was Renteria for Marte straight up. Next, is Marte that good that the Red Sox should throw in $11 MILLION?

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Dynasty 12-08-2005 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...the Red Sox should throw in $11 MILLION?

[/ QUOTE ]

$11 million over three years in not a big expense for any MLB franchise and certainly not for the Red Sox.

What's the average player making these days? It's topped $2 million, right?

sam h 12-08-2005 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
$11 million over three years in not a big expense for any MLB franchise and certainly not for the Red Sox.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is effectively over four years, since they are paying $8 million in salary over the next three and then have to pay the $3 million buyout if the Braves don't bring him back for his option year (which they probably won't at $11 million).

No matter what, this move will almost certainly save the Red Sox money at the SS position over the next three or four years. A one year rental and then Pedroia is pretty cheap. Plus they can have Marte at low cost for six years at 3B if he does turn into a good player.

benza13 12-08-2005 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Andy Marte is a good enough prospect that this trade could end up being seen as a great steal by the Red Sox in a few years. Of course, it all depends on whether Marte reaches his potential.

It leaves a hole for the Red Sox at shortstop. Apparently, the Julio Lugo trade talk has died.

But, there's still a shortstop on the market that most Red Sox fans would like to see signed- Nomar Garciaparra.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I would be mortified if they brought back Nomar, and I'm sure its not just me.

sublime 12-08-2005 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is effectively over four years, since they are paying $8 million in salary over the next three and then have to pay the $3 million buyout if the Braves don't bring him back for his option year (which they probably won't at $11 million).

No matter what, this move will almost certainly save the Red Sox money at the SS position over the next three or four years. A one year rental and then Pedroia is pretty cheap. Plus they can have Marte at low cost for six years at 3B if he does turn into a good player.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, the 11m is mitigated by the porspect of having marte for 750k and put up all star numbers for a few years. having him on the staring lineup at 750k with a payroll of 100m two years from now is enormous.

sam h 12-08-2005 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah, the 11m is mitigated by the porspect of having marte for 750k and put up all star numbers for a few years. having him on the staring lineup at 750k with a payroll of 100m two years from now is enormous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. The way things are shaping up, the Sox will actually have a lot more financial flexibility in the next couple years as they incorporate a bunch of low cost young guys.

Side note: Did you see the news item about Gammons implying on WEEI that the front office was still consulting Theo regularly on these moves? Pretty weird.

sublime 12-08-2005 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. The way things are shaping up, the Sox will actually have a lot more financial flexibility in the next couple years as they incorporate a bunch of low cost young guys.

Side note: Did you see the news item about Gammons implying on WEEI that the front office was still consulting Theo regularly on these moves? Pretty weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

well whatver is going on over there, its working [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]