Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   This one just feels wrong (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=391994)

12-06-2005 01:22 PM

My thoughts

Preflop can probably go either way. Had only UTG limped or if I knew that UTG+1 was a bad player I raise this every time.

The general consensus in the thread was to raise the flop. I am not quite convinced here. I think there are several cons to raising this flop and I don't think they outweigh the pros here. Do I really want to build a pot here, for example? I wouldn't know where I was if I got called in one or two places. Are they drawing? Slowplaying a big hand? How should I proceed on the turn? I am also an underdog against two big clubs and I don't want to put money in as an underdog. The most compelling reason for me to not raise this flop was that I wanted to see how SB, BB and UTG reacted and also how they planned to play the turn. However, almost everyone agreed that I should raise this flop, so I would really like to hear if there is someting I haven't thought of.

The turn I basically raised because that card is pretty much a blank and UTG+1's bet seemed awfully weak to me. Also, UTG could have a wide variety of hands here and I wanted him to pay dearly to outdraw me.

And now for the river. It seems I butchered this one the most, even though it was the only street I was quite sure of [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]. The reason I folded this was that I really thought at the time that he either 1) Slowplayed a set of straight, or 2) His flush draw just turned into a pair of kings. I just didn't think he bluffed a busted flush draw, since I had shown so much strength. Neither did I think he had a seven, since I think he would drop most of them on the turn or check-call the river with them. I am probably giving him too much credit, though, especially given the odds I got.

Thanks all!

Dumle

Bukem_ 12-06-2005 01:25 PM

Re: My thoughts

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop can probably go either way. Had only UTG limped or if I knew that UTG+1 was a bad player I raise this every time.

The general consensus in the thread was to raise the flop. I am not quite convinced here. I think there are several cons to raising this flop and I don't think they outweigh the pros here. Do I really want to build a pot here, for example? I wouldn't know where I was if I got called in one or two places. Are they drawing? Slowplaying a big hand? How should I proceed on the turn? I am also an underdog against two big clubs and I don't want to put money in as an underdog. The most compelling reason for me to not raise this flop was that I wanted to see how SB, BB and UTG reacted and also how they planned to play the turn. However, almost everyone agreed that I should raise this flop, so I would really like to hear if there is someting I haven't thought of.

The turn I basically raised because that card is pretty much a blank and UTG+1's bet seemed awfully weak to me. Also, UTG could have a wide variety of hands here and I wanted him to pay dearly to outdraw me.

And now for the river. It seems I butchered this one the most, even though it was the only street I was quite sure of [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]. The reason I folded this was that I really thought at the time that he either 1) Slowplayed a set of straight, or 2) His flush draw just turned into a pair of kings. I just didn't think he bluffed a busted flush draw, since I had shown so much strength. Neither did I think he had a seven, since I think he would drop most of them on the turn or check-call the river with them. I am probably giving him too much credit, though, especially given the odds I got.

Thanks all!

Dumle

[/ QUOTE ]

Scared. Raise flop, call river. Its gambling, not create a 100% safe situation where you never lose.

12-06-2005 01:33 PM

Scared.

Perhaps. How would you proceed on the turn if you get one or two calls? It's not that unlikely given the board.

Dumle

Bukem_ 12-06-2005 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Scared.

Perhaps. How would you proceed on the turn if you get one or two calls? It's not that unlikely given the board.

Dumle

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet again. Then check the river. Probably fold to any resistance.

barongreenback 12-06-2005 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason I folded this was that I really thought at the time that he either 1) Slowplayed a set of straight, or 2) His flush draw just turned into a pair of kings. I just didn't think he bluffed a busted flush draw, since I had shown so much strength. Neither did I think he had a seven, since I think he would drop most of them on the turn or check-call the river with them.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're putting him on way too narrow range of hands. It's hard to read hands on this sort of board but you don't need to because
wide range + strange line + good odds = call.
You'll see a king often, a big hand rarely, random one pairs and busted draws plenty and sometimes stuff you couldn't have imagined. I find I can do quite well by simply looking at bet size when deciding on river calls/folds.

James