Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   three hands against one maniac (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=391574)

mike l. 12-05-2005 10:12 PM

Re: three hands against one maniac

hand 3: "Just too many ways to get turned or rivered."

but so many more ways to win the pot with my pair of 6s. not putting in a lot of bets with my hand here against someone willing to competely overplay as little as one overcard is an error.

mike l. 12-05-2005 10:14 PM

wow i guess im in trouble then because i completely disagree with everything you both said.

mike l. 12-05-2005 10:16 PM

"Will she fold A-high"

never.

"Even lags wake up to a hand every now and then."

what hand does she have that beats A2 have when she just calls that flop? the answer: none.

mike l. 12-05-2005 10:22 PM

"Hand 1: I fold preflop"

that's -EV and it's not close. that's just giving up way way too much. i would reraise her all day long with KTs and expect to show a healthy profit. when i 3 bet there, anyone without a genuine monster is clearing out of the way.

"isn't the way to beat a maniac gamber to wait until you have something to showdown before you go to war with them."

yes and depending on how maniacal they are, Axs definitely qualifies.

"Hand 3: If goes more than 4 bets you are probably way behind"

youre completely wrong. when i said maniac i meant maniac.

Schneids 12-05-2005 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
when i said maniac i meant maniac.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can personally vouch for this. Imagine someone playing poker without looking at their cards or not remembering correctly/caring what they have.

elena_elphie 12-05-2005 11:38 PM

Hand 1, I raise river (or turn) if I think I can get A high / better Ks to fold with her. Otherwise I call too.

Hand 2, I fold preflop, I don't like putting in two bets w/ A2s, even if maniacs 3-bet is not meaningful, hijack raiser could likely have us dominated and in trouble, and the maniac will be in there pumping the pot making it quite expensive for us.

Hand 3, I probably play it the same.

oreogod 12-05-2005 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wow i guess im in trouble then because i completely disagree with everything you both said.

[/ QUOTE ]

especially given your read. I mean, against this opponent Id have to disagree with them.

The point mentioned about 12 bets being a little much is valid though, imo. Id put a 4th bet in, but that would be the last raise Id put in on the flop.

shemp 12-05-2005 11:58 PM

Maybe this is weak tight thinking, but if she'd go 12 bets with a single overcard on a 632 board, doesn't that make her call of your flop 4 bet pretty scary?

mike l. 12-06-2005 12:07 AM

"but if she'd go 12 bets with a single overcard on a 632 board"

how can someone know for sure if she would, but im saying that she might. as much as some of you will try to insist otherwise, my read of this player was solid and if she kept going i wouldve kept going and i wouldve been right to.

shemp 12-06-2005 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
my read of this player was solid and if she kept going i wouldve kept going and i wouldve been right to.

[/ QUOTE ] I guess that explains why you posted the hand.

The contrarian point (which isn't valid, of course) is that you aren't that far ahead of a random hand that someone exercising even a wee bit of judgment (like stopping after 4 bets with a random hand) isn't doing badly if you'll go 12 bets when they are even just a bit stronger.