Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Someone please help me explain this to my mother (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=390926)

SackUp 12-04-2005 04:35 AM

Re: Someone please help me explain this to my mother

have her watch the south park episode - "Biggest Douche in the universe" where they destroy John Edwards - a so called psychic.

Landon_McFly 12-04-2005 05:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Cold Reading

[/ QUOTE ]

He solved the problem already

Double Down 12-04-2005 05:09 AM

So how do we explain things such as how the psychic guessed the mother's name and the petunias at the funeral thing? Those are pretty darn specific.

12-04-2005 05:55 AM

Theres a really good southpark about a psychic. Check it out.

tonypaladino 12-04-2005 06:03 AM

DD,

"So how do we explain things such as how the psychic guessed the mother's name and the petunias at the funeral thing? Those are pretty darn specific. "

The same way you explain most things most people do. Confusion and stupidity.

JonPKibble 12-04-2005 12:02 PM

tl;dr

MelchyBeau 12-04-2005 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't see why it's so hard for you guys to accept that psychic abilities are possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is it so hard for you to believe that Elvis is alive? So many people have claimed to seen elvis. So it must be true right?

Melch

evil_twin 12-04-2005 12:33 PM

Book on cold reading.

There is a "magician" (he is more than that really) in the UK called Derren Brown. He did an entire show once pretending to be physcic, and was very convincing, enough to have members of the audience in shock/tears etc. Afterwards he explained it was all fake. He's worth looking out for, not sure if he's been exported to the US.

Along with Penn and Teller he's a great debunker.

man 12-04-2005 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is it so hard for you to believe that Elvis is alive? So many people have claimed to seen elvis. So it must be true right?

Melch

[/ QUOTE ]

Melch,

I think that given that elvis is a pretty recognizable character, but not completely unique, it seems reasonable that a lot of elvis fans could catch a glimpse of a guy who looks like elvis, and because they just want to believe it, or because they want to be famous, they'll report it to others.

but just because they claim to have seen them doesn't mean they actually did see him. as a matter of probability, it seems completely reasonable that a few thousand americans fit this description.

in short, I don't think you read my argument well. or maybe I didn't write it well. whatever. the point is that the more cases that stack up, the lower the probability of sheer coincidence becomes.

probably,
man

WackityWhiz 12-04-2005 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Melch

[/ QUOTE ]

Melch,

I think that given that elvis is a pretty recognizable character, but not completely unique, it seems reasonable that a lot of elvis fans could catch a glimpse of a guy who looks like elvis, and because they just want to believe it, or because they want to be famous, they'll report it to others.

but just because they claim to have seen them doesn't mean they actually did see him. as a matter of probability, it seems completely reasonable that a few thousand americans fit this description.

in short, I don't think you read my argument well. or maybe I didn't write it well. whatever. the point is that the more cases that stack up, the lower the probability of sheer coincidence becomes.

probably,
man

[/ QUOTE ]

http://membres.lycos.fr/theczar/jimc...nddumber10.jpg

so you're saying there's a chance...