Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Folding KK preflop for the first time ever (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=390853)

soah 12-04-2005 08:06 AM

Re: Folding KK preflop for the first time ever

You sound extremely results-oriented and scared.

Having twice the max buy-in on the table does not mean that anyone is a good player.

Winning six buy-ins last week doesn't have any impact on what you should do today.

Winning $15 doesn't have any impact on what you should have done two hours ago.

pzhon 12-04-2005 09:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Harrington said it well....
"Im not good enough to fold KK preflop. Neither are you."

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you realize you are quoting him out of context? He was talking about tournaments, where people often have under 20 times the big blind. There isn't room to figure out that KK is no good when the stacks are short. There is room with 100 BB stacks, whether or not it is right to fold here.

In the Negreanu example, the stacks were deep.

12-04-2005 12:05 PM

"One excellent rule for NLH is this: if you can't allow yourself to fold the best hand, then you can't win." Phil Hellmuth, Jr. page 147 in Play Poker Like the Pros.
He goes on to say "If it was the winner, so what? You made your decision, and you're still at the table with chips. Stay focused on winning, not on looking back at your untimely fold."
I'm with Phil.

Isura 12-04-2005 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"One excellent rule for NLH is this: if you can't allow yourself to fold the best hand, then you can't win." Phil Hellmuth, Jr. page 147 in Play Poker Like the Pros.
He goes on to say "If it was the winner, so what? You made your decision, and you're still at the table with chips. Stay focused on winning, not on looking back at your untimely fold."
I'm with Phil.

[/ QUOTE ]

Buy a new book! BTW, I think phil is referring to tournaments here, because in a cash game you can rebuy if you lose...

Morrek 12-04-2005 12:21 PM

Yeah that really sounds like tournament only argument.

Finite_Risk 12-04-2005 01:30 PM

If I had a dollar for everytime I saw someone at these limits push a huge stack with a mid pair I'd have the 120 bucks you probably would have won here.

guaranteedBluff 12-04-2005 01:36 PM

There are a few guys at 200 NL that raise about 1/500 hands. Against them, I would fold KK preflop, but it has never come up.

Definitely a call here at 50 NL here, villain could have as low as AJ in my experience, and he could also be tilting (you've only been here for four hands) - maybe he lost a big one before you sat down.