Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Bet this river? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=389696)

soah 12-02-2005 06:23 AM

Re: Bet this river?

Usually two tables.

FreakDaddy 12-02-2005 02:45 PM

If you're fairly certain that he would have raised with a 6 or a higher pocket pair(not knowing when to raise either of these), then a value bet of 1/2 pot is fine. It's quite narrow here that a check/call wouldn't be a mistake. I mean there are just a few hands he'll call with here 22-44, 77,99. The rest you're behind, unless he'll call again with Ace high. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'm pretty scrupulous about value betting the river myself, but I don't think this is a mistake to check here.

What happened in the actual hand?

beavens 12-02-2005 03:00 PM

i like the 1/2 value bet on the river - calling of a small raise.

PinkSteel 12-02-2005 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it's so hard to go second- and third-level against players that are so bad...

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like an action junkie. Not a pusher, just someone who thinks checking around is boring.

Check the river to induce a bluff. You save calling a raise if you're behind, you come out just as well if you're ahead. The only way you lose is if he were ready to try a bluff raise again, and you were ready to call it.

DoomSlice 12-02-2005 03:23 PM

I've been experimenting recently against LAGs by ridiculously underbetting the river in order to get them to raise me... and so far it has worked out pretty well. However, by the way you describe him, it doesn't seem like he'll bite for that sort of thing. On the other hand, I do want him to encourage him to call with A-high, and a 1/3 pot bet will probably convince him to do that >80% of the time.

So probably somewhere around $65 should be good.

soah 12-02-2005 04:08 PM

This never occured to me at the time, but I think a bet of around $20 would have been really sweet here. He might call that with worse hands just to see my cards for all I know... and he might make a tiny raise (to $60 or something).

soah 12-02-2005 08:04 PM

I check, he checks behind with Q7o. I love this guy.

FreakDaddy 12-02-2005 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I check, he checks behind with Q7o. I love this guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I kick myself sometimes too when I know an opponent is really bad, and may call with let's say Ax here. But the primary reason you're asking this is because he has such a crappy hand. If you bet 1/2 pot, do you think he's calling? Probably not, so you made the correct play.

zaphod 12-02-2005 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Soah, your posts always contain very detailed and well thought out reads.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes i am also impressed by the very detailed reads you give in your posts.

As for the hand i am unsure if it is best to check to induce a bluff or bet half pot.