Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   questions for atheists (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=386711)

11-28-2005 12:32 PM

Re: questions for atheists

Lol, sorry I can't tell if thats sarcasm [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]In case its not, then no, the exact opposite. We know fleas exist making them infinitely more likely to be in the room than the banana moose.

mostsmooth 11-28-2005 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Is there an invisible moose with bananas in its ears hanging from the lampshade in the room you are in now?

[/ QUOTE ]
are the bananas supposed to be invisible too, or just the moose?

imported_luckyme 11-28-2005 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
4. Is the lack of evidence proof that something is not there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sagan nailed that one with his invisible dragon story. The question that needs answering is - How do we differentiate between something that is there and something that isn't? What is the difference between a bear that can't be seen, heard, etc...no evidence, and one that isn't there? IOW, you need to define "is" first, clinton was right!

Jeff V 11-28-2005 02:39 PM

Sorry I thought I'd be able to banter a bit more about this, but it turns out these people actually want me to work today. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

My point was not to prove anythings existence. I read a quote that said an agnostic was an atheist with no guts, but I don't think that's correct. I think question 4 almost forces an agnostic view, and wanted some .02.

Scotch78 11-28-2005 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My point was not to prove anythings existence. I read a quote that said an agnostic was an atheist with no guts, but I don't think that's correct. I think question 4 almost forces an agnostic view, and wanted some .02.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, here's my pennies . . . Yes, agnosticism is the only logically defensible of the three positions. However, it is possible to tailor pantheism to avoid internal contradictions, and more importantly, none of that says much about whether one should be an atheist, agnostic or theist.

Scott
Scott

11-28-2005 03:57 PM

Trick question! There is no lampshade!

evil_twin 11-28-2005 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, this is weak. I refer the honorable gentleman to Flying Spaghetti Monsterism. Is lack of evidence proof that the Flying Spaghetti Monster does not exist?

Do better.

Trantor 11-28-2005 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Is there a bear in the room you are in now?

2. Is there a flea in the room you are in now?

3. Are you sure?

[/ QUOTE ]
1. No.

2. I don't know but I think probably
not.

3. I am sure about the answer to q1. I am sure don't know is the correct answer to q2.

4. No.

Kurn, son of Mogh 11-28-2005 04:34 PM

1. No
2. No
3. Yes
4. Not necessarily, but in the case of questions 1-3, yes.

Piers 11-28-2005 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there a bear in the room you are in now?

[/ QUOTE ]

No

[ QUOTE ]
Is there a flea in the room you are in now?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably

[ QUOTE ]
Are you sure?

[/ QUOTE ]

No

[ QUOTE ]
Is the lack of evidence proof that something is not there?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, and I have just brought some bear traps just in case.