Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Matt Hilger's WSOP proposal (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=381188)

AceHigh 11-19-2005 12:07 AM

Re: Matt Hilger\'s WSOP proposal

[ QUOTE ]
I, for one, am quite sick of hearing pros whine about inferior players in the tourneys. Because if they can't adapt, then they should die.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are. Hence the whining (not winning). Pro's whine when they are losing.

Fallen Hero 11-19-2005 06:35 AM

If there is a different tournament crowning the world champion then obviously the main event will lose popularity...because it won't be the main event anymore.

Mason Malmuth 11-19-2005 06:56 AM

Hi Easy:

I think the idea has merit except that $100,000 in my opinion is too high. I don't believe that many of the better known pros are this well financed. Perhaps $25,000 is a better figure.

Best wishes,
Mason

MarkL444 11-19-2005 08:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Easy:

I think the idea has merit except that $100,000 in my opinion is too high. I don't believe that many of the better known pros are this well financed. Perhaps $25,000 is a better figure.

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

wouldnt this just greatly reduce the entrants into the 10k main event and have everyone trying to qualify for this? there would still be way too many people. i like a plan of just increasing the buy-in for the main event to maybe 30-50k.

Rianna 11-19-2005 09:02 AM

If it ain't broken, please don't try and fix it.

It's a truly awesome event IMHO, I think regardless of it's current size, it's rivetting and obviously attractive and, bottom line, good for poker.

Some of us have waited a long time for this incredable event. Please don't wreck it.

just my opinion

lozen 11-19-2005 12:57 PM

I just finished watching the final two episodes.
Change it no way I loved it Lots of charachters.

WHY FIX WHAT AINT BROKE

11-19-2005 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Easy:

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

Mason, don't you think they'd be able to find backers? Hell, I'd take a piece of some of the bigger names.

Instead of raising the money, maybe they could create an invitation-only tournament of a few hundred pros. I'd worry that a $100K price tag might overshadow the ME, which I think should remain the crown jewel. This would require the establishment of a selection committee, but would also keep the field exclusively professional, as opposed to littered with rich fish.

ggbman 11-19-2005 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this would be great. Many pros would play. And many online sites could do things like have $1k-10k buyin satellites (and smaller supersatellites), which a certain select group of players (which is a relatively sizeable group) would definitely play.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, this would be an intregal part of the the potential sucess that a tourney like this might have.

CD56 11-19-2005 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The top players would be happy, as they now would have a prestigious tournament to play that would crown their champion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are there really that many top pro's complaining about the ME? Also what would prevent the average player from forking over the cash...

[/ QUOTE ]

probably the fact that it is now 100K rather than 10K

satellites would be much longer too...

tonypaladino 11-19-2005 09:40 PM

I really don't see why raising the main even to something like $20k or $25k is a big deal. It's been $10,000 since the 70's and $10k in 1970 dollars is like $50k in 2005 dollars.