Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   News, Views, and Gossip (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Sweet chess run (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=381136)

NYplayer 11-19-2005 08:03 AM

Re: Sweet chess run

[ QUOTE ]
I was getting killed playing poker dropping just under 100k in four days,

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey buddy,
you've probably never heard of me before but we've also probably played together a bunch. I've lost over 100K from my high something like 4 times this year and it's always painful. You seem to be a talented player so i'm sure you'll have it back soon. Generally these losses come from playing the highest stakes and i know that my game has improved a lot from playing at that level. a few day break is a good thing and remember, loses like these make the -10K days much easier to take.

checkmate36 11-19-2005 10:50 AM

Thanks for the link to that game. 16.Bxc7!

Watching those games makes me realize I should not drink so much alcohol. My brain always hurts after reviewing them. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

GOODBEATGUY2001 11-19-2005 11:18 AM

Thanx for the link, Dynasty. It's astounding that a atrong GM, a world top 10 at that, can make such an obvious blunder. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

fsuplayer 11-19-2005 12:13 PM

what type of stakes was that in JV?

the 3/6 crypto game?

whiskeytown 11-19-2005 12:52 PM

I haven't played chess in years. I remember being better then the average kid my age at 7 yrs old, but this was Montana and small town California, not NYC - [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I would be very curious to see what my skill level is now, especially now that I've sorta taken on aggression over defense in much of my life - I'm sure it'd affect my game - all my standard defensive openings would be kaput.

nice job.

RB

J_V 11-19-2005 01:58 PM

Thanks for the advice. It's good to know that it's possible to come out of these swoons. Taking a break has always been natural for me, just as a measure to stop the bleeding and mentally getting a starting over point. I think its important that if I win back 10k that I'm looking at it as being 10k from a certain point, rather than 90k down from a certain point. That helps me stay focused on playing well and nothing else.

J_V 11-19-2005 02:03 PM

Thanks for the link. I've been dabbling back in chess lately - and I know this is off topic, but what's the deal with the current World Championship. Is Topalov considered the champ right now? And is the Kramnik-Topalov match ever going to happen?

chessforlife 11-19-2005 03:11 PM

(highest in the world is 2600)

highest is 2800.

but good run though. i quit after i hit 2000 USCF. now my online rating cant break 1850. and that's on a good day. a bit sad, but enough to beat all on my aircraft carrier! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

checkmate36 11-19-2005 04:34 PM

Its funny to see a player not happy with 1850 rating. 1850 is very good player. I made it all the way to 1495 and then I found poker.

You guys with the higher rating ever made any loot with chess? I bet your poker earnings are far higher than chess.

Masquerade 11-19-2005 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(highest in the world is 2600)

highest is 2800.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was talking about the special "5-min" ratings on ICC and the highest is indeed 2600-something.