Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Am I just giving my $s away? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=379525)

TomBrooks 11-16-2005 04:04 PM

Re: Am I just giving my $s away?

I don't like the way you played 1 and 2.

3 you can fold to the flop raise unless your opponent raises with gutshots or middle pair after the raiser bets the flop with a King on the board. Not too many people like that around. Fold.

charlie_t_jr 11-16-2005 04:24 PM

I play hand 1 the same.

Hand 2, I would've check/fold the turn.

Hand 3, without reads I a bit torn between c/f the turn(weak!), 3-betting the flop, or maybe better, c/r the turn, and playing it the way you did.

charlie_t_jr 11-16-2005 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 3. This is tough. There are so many things you could be up against here. I think you are behind the range of hands he could have, and without a read I'm probably going to 3 bet the flop. If he caps I can fold and save myself 1 1/2 BB. If he calls, I'll bet at the turn and fold to a raise. If he calls the turn, I'll check behind on the river or fold to a bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this line. Would calling flop and c/r turn be too fancy/expensive?

Stealthy 11-16-2005 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

3 you can fold to the flop raise unless your opponent raises with gutshots or middle pair after the raiser bets the flop with a King on the board. Not too many people like that around. Fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I was looking for in posting this. Playing $1 $2 6 Max made me a natural cynic, although even then a lot of the time if it looked like a king, smelt like a king and tasted like a king, you know what ............

Even on a reasonably aggressive table which this was, are the vast majority of players not raising here without a king?

I guess cause I would raise in this spot with a middle pair in the pocket against the right players that I at least consider that others will do the same.

TomBrooks 11-16-2005 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I was looking for in posting this. Playing $1 $2 6 Max made me a natural cynic, although even then a lot of the time if it looked like a king, smelt like a king and tasted like a king, you know what ............

Even on a reasonably aggressive table which this was, are the vast majority of players not raising here without a king?

I guess cause I would raise in this spot with a middle pair in the pocket against the right players that I at least consider that others will do the same.

[/ QUOTE ]
Take what I say with a grain of salt, Stealthy. I only have about 3k hands at 2/4 and have only played when I find very soft games. But what I said is my experience so far, and I am winning a little. (1BB/100)

BTW, I would call this down after the flop raise without a read on a shorthand table also.

krimson 11-16-2005 04:54 PM

Hand 1, I bet the flop, if he doesn't fold there i'm done with the hand.

Hand 2, I'd probably bet the turn with an ace, but not J2, pot is only offering us approximately 1:1. River is good.

Hand 3, I'd probably play it the same, but i'm in the same boat as you, coming out of 6max and don't trust anyone. I'm sure other poster's saying fold to the raise are likely correct.

BWebb 11-16-2005 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Hand 3: Fold the turn, he has a King.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're saying he should call the flop raise in hopes of hitting a 2-outer, then fold when he misses it? Terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is terrible. 3 reasons:
1) Also has a backdoor straight draw that's worth about 1 out.
2) I'm assuming the guy is unknown, so not necessarily sure he's only raising a king. A bet on the turn makes it easier to assume your beat.
3) Metagame reasons. Getting 10-1 with 3 outs and not knowing for sure you are behind, this spot is okay for a call since it's not hugely -EV.

silkyslim 11-16-2005 05:14 PM

hand 1 is fine. hand 2 i check/fold. hand 3 i fold the flop or turn depending on if you care who sees you do what. The board is uncoordinated and the raise really smells strongly of a king.

UVaHoo 11-16-2005 05:20 PM

I'm also done putting money in the pot in hand one after he calls the flop bet. You have to assume that the board would scare him somewhat after a preflop raise, and he's probably not calling with something worse than 99. If he is, he's definitely not going to bet it, so you can showdown cheaply.

Hand 2 - Varies by player, though this guy seems likely to call...just too small a pot, especially with the rake factored in.

Hand 3 - I hate playing hands like this too, and too frequently call down and lose to the King. On a more coordinated board that he could be raising a draw, I might be more inclined to call down or c/r the turn. However, with the rainbow, unconnected board, I'm folding to the flop raise, or at most, calling the small bet and folding to a turn bet.

ErrantNight 11-16-2005 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Hand 3: Fold the turn, he has a King.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're saying he should call the flop raise in hopes of hitting a 2-outer, then fold when he misses it? Terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

have you read any of the 2+2 books or do you just give lip service to them?