Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   World Cup Qualifying (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=379475)

RRRRICK 11-16-2005 08:10 PM

Re: World Cup Qualifying

[ QUOTE ]
When is the draw?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dec 10th

jstnrgrs 11-16-2005 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When is the draw?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dec 10th

[/ QUOTE ]

For the draw, are all 32 teams lumped into one pool, or are the teams seeded? If they are seeded, what is that seeding based on?

Does anyone have a link to the official draw procedure?

RRRRICK 11-16-2005 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When is the draw?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dec 10th

[/ QUOTE ]

For the draw, are all 32 teams lumped into one pool, or are the teams seeded? If they are seeded, what is that seeding based on?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a procedure in establishing the 8 groups of 4 nations

8 teams are seeded and place into one pool.

The seedings are based on historical WC performances and in addition the host nation obtains a spot in this pool.

Whilst the seeds are yet to be decided they will probably look something like this.

Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Italy, Holland, France, England & possibly Spain.

Pool 2: Remaining teams from Europe
Pool 3: Asia & Concacaf
Pool 4: South America, Africa, Oceania

Each group will draw a team from each pool to make up the 4 team group. Conditions may apply like South American teams in group 4 cannot be drawn against Brazil & Argentina.

This may not me exactly correct but it will be very close.

Its done this way in an attempt to create equally weighted groups with variety in terms of region.

JoeU 11-16-2005 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm bumping this because I'm curious about this too. Also, do we know who the top seeds are for each group yet? There was a rumor recently that the USA had a top seed for one of the groups because of their FIFA ranking and the fact they finished 1st in CONCACAF.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Joe

EDIT: Just saw the answer was posted as I was replying to the thread.

RRRRICK 11-16-2005 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There was a rumor recently that the USA had a top seed for one of the groups because of their FIFA ranking and the fact they finished 1st in CONCACAF.

Unless Fifa have changed the seeding criteria giving more emphasis to rankings then I strongly doubt that this will happen.