Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   math question...need help (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=379281)

twankerr 11-16-2005 03:01 PM

Re: math question...need help

inutively i can see that all the prime numbers will be closed, right? since the first dude opens all the lockers...the only people to close the "prime" lockers will be the primes themselves. im too lazy to care about the rest of the lockers though, non-primes disinterest me.

jason_t 11-16-2005 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
inutively i can see that all the prime numbers will be closed, right? since the first dude opens all the lockers...the only people to close the "prime" lockers will be the primes themselves. im too lazy to care about the rest of the lockers though, non-primes disinterest me.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not correct.

Scotch78 11-16-2005 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is not correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

His reasoning sounds good to me, so I'm curious why you think he's wrong?

Scott

RJT 11-16-2005 03:24 PM

Jason,

LOL. You are a ballbuster. You are the NotReady of the Math threads. Your style I mean. (I mean that as a compliment or rather I don’t mean it as a negative criticism.)

RJT

jason_t 11-16-2005 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is not correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

His reasoning sounds good to me, so I'm curious why you think he's wrong?

Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

The primes will be closed that is correct; the non-primes are not "uninteresting" is the statement I had issue with. The correct answer is that door n will be open iff n is a perfect square.

The reason the primes are closed is because they have two divisors. In general, any integer with an even number of divisors will be closed. For any integer that is not a perfect square, if a is a divisor of n then there is an integer b so that a * b = n and a will not be equal to b. Thus the divisors of n can be paired off giving that n has an even number of divisors. Perfect squares n = k^2 have the extra divisor k that can't be paired off with enough divisor. So they have an odd number of divisors. Thus, only the perfect squares will be open.

Farfenugen 11-16-2005 03:34 PM

Oh I see, your counting the two guy as doing something. I was unclear on that.

lotus776 11-16-2005 06:14 PM

yeah, I was talking with my buddy today and he was trying to give me a hint b/c he solved it a little over a year ago...The perfect squares idea is something I'm going to explore more. I was originally trying to find a sequence, now I have a better idea

thanks

eviljeff 11-16-2005 08:22 PM

brute force it.

if you don't have a compiler, hopefully you have a janitor buddy

jason_t 11-16-2005 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh I see, your counting the two guy as doing something. I was unclear on that.

[/ QUOTE ]

After years of experience in solving math problems, it's clear that this what was intended.

ChromePony 11-16-2005 09:20 PM

I remember doing this problem in sixth grade, it stumped us for a while but we came around eventually.

All the squares should be left open since theyre the only ones with an odd number of factors.

EDIT: oops I missed where jason actually answered it already...I thought he was just being a smart ass [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]