Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   I moved up and immeditately got hammered (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=378462)

Irieguy 11-14-2005 09:27 PM

Re: I moved up and immeditately got hammered

[ QUOTE ]

Started playing and lost 10 buyins off the bat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that you understand that it's nothing... but seriously; it's like saying:

"I went to the store this morning and hit a red light."

We'd all love it if every light were green... but nobody even notices a few red ones.

Until you can withstand 20 buy-in drops without noticing or caring, your mental game is hurting you.

Irieguy

davehwm 11-14-2005 09:40 PM

I played the $11s for about 8 months, bonus whored like crazy, then played the $22s for about 5 months and built up a decent bankroll. After some serious cashing out for Christmas/plane tickets/etc. I set aside $990 to take a shot at the $33s last week.

I crashed. And burned. I had to drop back down the $22s and continued on a pretty serious downswing to the point where I almost thought I was going to have to move to the $11s again. I stuck it out and now I'm on my way back up (or at least I think so).

Moral of the story: for me, 30 buy-ins isn't close to enough for any given level. Hell, at the $33s, a 10 buy-in drop gets you down to $660 - the 30 buy-in bankroll for the $22s.

If you can beat the $11s, then you can beat the $22s. But, the number of buy-ins you need to feel comfortable is completely up to you. If you can't play comfortably and not be super concerned about your bankroll after a 10 buy-in downswing, you need a bigger bankroll. I learned this lesson at the $33s.

Slim Pickens 11-14-2005 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you think of my new avatar?

[/ QUOTE ]

It kinda pisses me off that I can't look at your posts without someone across my office thinking I'm some sort of weird pervert. I like to keep the mystery intact.

DPCondit 11-14-2005 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the problems in moving up levels are as much psychological as they are ability related. At least that was the deal in my case, as it always took me a little while to feel comfortable at a new level. Personally, I usually play mixed levels before committing to a new one, such as 3 50s and one 109 at first, then 2-2, then moving to the 109s. Then the same thing at other levels. For me at least, that way works best...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the way I look at it.

11-15-2005 12:27 AM

Why did you wait until you had 50 buy-ins to move to the 20's?

11-15-2005 06:47 AM

same thing happened to me

i was at 22s bankroll up to 60 buyins (starting from 15), then went on a streak of -35 buyins, moved down to the 11s, realized how easy the 11s were for like 2 weeks, move back up to the 20s and so far i've been basically break even

but i don't think i'd ever go back to the 11s unless i absolutely had to