Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   A hand that bugs me (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=378119)

ggbman 11-14-2005 03:52 PM

Re: A hand that bugs me

yeah, obviously if he doesnt cap the flop we arent even having this dsicussion. I just think there is merit not exposing yourself as much you did here with a marginal holding, as he needs a stronger hand to 3 bet the the turn than to cap the flop. These games are incredibly aggressive though, so i understand your incling to 3 bet the flop for vaue, it just gets you into some tough spots.

phish 11-15-2005 12:39 AM

Bump.

C'mon. Someone else posts a hand and gets 8000 replies. I post a hand and i get two. I even welcome flames. Tell me I suck.

DcifrThs 11-15-2005 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bump.

C'mon. Someone else posts a hand and gets 8000 replies. I post a hand and i get two. I even welcome flames. Tell me I suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

many people dont play this high.

many people dont know EDIT: piejay or how he plays.

going more bets on the flop vs. not going more bets on the flop/ raising the turn vs. calling down are the two issues.

as long as he's not on tilt its tough. its a tricky hand that nobody can come in and say "this is what you do, here's why"

if you notice, the problem with the large threads is that most are just simple hands. the simpler the hand, the more replies b/c people feel good about themselves solvinga puzzle...even if its for ages 4 and up.

also, some of the best posters here wont post in this thread b/c they hold back their research and opinions based on experience beating these games.

those issues lead to posts like yours getting less attention. please dont concuse replies with quality.

Barron

flawless_victory 11-15-2005 12:57 AM

hmmm.
i think your best play may have been to just call him down after he checkraised you on the flop.

i prob wouldve played this hand exactly the same as u on every street and this hand has me scratching my head now. seems like you almost certainly misplayed this hand somewhere and i think it must be the turn.
just call, i think... then call the river too. i dont feel great about it, but so so easy for him to have 5x here or even K4. i almost always raise here... id probably win more if i raised less.
if he check the river after the turn goes betcall, id check.

Brian R 11-15-2005 01:28 AM

I think you played this hand well however, many times (40-50% of the time)I'd only call the turn and payoff on the river. The times I raise the turn and get bet into on the river I call only like 25% of the time. Do you mind sharing your screename? Piejay is very observant and depending upon who you are, he value bets the river a lot to counter act the raise turn/free showdown move. Nothing is more frustersating than paying him on when he value bets a hand just a bit better than yours.

Brian R

phish 11-15-2005 04:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Piejay is very observant and depending upon who you are, he value bets the river a lot to counter act the raise turn/free showdown move. Nothing is more frustersating than paying him on when he value bets a hand just a bit better than yours.

Brian R

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for all the responses. If he's strong enough to value bet the river, he almost certainly has me beat. My only concern was did he have a hand like 95 and figured since he's going to call the river (he folds very little), he might as well just bet it.

But I don't think I've ever seen him take this line before. Like I said, I think he's actually one of the less tricky people there and that's why I was willing to fold. (Though I haven't played with him in a couple of months and his game may have changed.)

But I clearly violated a few of my own 'rules/standards' in how I played this hand.