Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Beer belly (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=375819)

IndieMatty 11-10-2005 04:47 PM

Re: Beer belly

[ QUOTE ]
Don't eat within 2 hours before going to bed!

[/ QUOTE ]

Wives tale. Depending on what you eat all day, and the frequency of your meals many diet plans/doctors advise you TO eat something an hour before bedtime.

11-10-2005 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wives tale. Depending on what you eat all day, and the frequency of your meals many diet plans/doctors advise you TO eat something an hour before bedtime.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't get to burn any of this off. You don't need this much caloric intake to go to bed.
Plus, you will wake up hungrier than had you eaten 4 hours before bedtime.

celiboy 11-10-2005 04:52 PM

If you drink pop - stop

2 pops a day = 500 calories = 182,500 in a year

IndieMatty 11-10-2005 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't get to burn any of this off. You don't need this much caloric intake to go to bed.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong. If you eat a whopper, and then run 2 miles. You aren't burning that whopper with that exercise.

RunDownHouse 11-10-2005 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont think it is possible for me to cut down drinking beer, so this will have to stay.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you drink any sort of reasonable amount, you're going to have to either deal with it or cut back. I've resigned myself to the gut because I'd rather not give the beer back. If its just alcohol you're jonesing for, you can always try switching to straight shots of 80+ proof liquor, or 80+ proof and diet sodas. But unless you have tons of time for exercise, there's no way you can offset the calories from 5+ beers/night.

11-10-2005 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong. If you eat a whopper, and then run 2 miles. You aren't burning that whopper with that exercise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Instead of being a whistle-blower, why don't you PROVE to me, that eating within 2 hours of going to bed is a GOOD thing?

Rduke55 11-10-2005 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I eat potatoes PLAIN and pancakes with no butter or syrup. Yeah. And I never eat Sour Cream.

[/ QUOTE ]

YSSCKY
That's no way to live.

Cosimo 11-10-2005 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
EDIT: Stay away from butter, sour cream, dressing, etc. I know it's hard but try it.

I eat potatoes PLAIN and pancakes with no butter or syrup. Yeah. And I never eat Sour Cream. I use minimal dressing on salad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. I eat over a half-stick of butter a day, and go thru a small tub (8 oz) of sour cream each week. Nearly every day, I cook one of those nice, thick, rich french sauces to go with beef, chicken, or pork. Yesterday dinner was a big bowl of fettucine alfredo -- ingredients: butter, cream, cheese. And I'm losing weight. Over 30 pounds in two months, 50 so far this year.

Fat doesn't make you fat. High-quality animal fats are very nutritious, help fight infection/microbes/fungii, good sources of fuel, and improve digestion. Processed foods are horribly unhealthy, and there's a handful of foods (like soy) that suppress thyroid function, leading to lower metabolism, meaning you have to exercise more or cut out more food in order to lose weight.

Meanwhile... potatoes and pancakes? Excess carbs will lead to insulin resistance and all the fun that goes with that. I'm not strictly on a no-carb diet, it's just that I don't eat them much. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] If your diet has a broad range of nutrients, you can pretty much eat what you want.

Plus I exercise about 45 minutes a day; currently wind-sprints and body-weight exercises.

noggindoc 11-10-2005 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Instead of being a whistle-blower, why don't you PROVE to me, that eating within 2 hours of going to bed is a GOOD thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not necessarily good or bad, it depends on what you eat as well. A protein rich snack 2 hours before bed can actually help keep your metabolism up and burning more calories throughout the night while maintaining muscle cells. It is a bit of a wive's tale that eating before bed is certain to pack on the pounds.

Blarg 11-10-2005 05:35 PM

Part of your beer belly may be permanent. The liver grow and the so can the intestines, to take care of all the crap you put into yourself.

But you can actually still get a six-pack(not of beer) on top of that bloated organ growth. Diet and exercise will do it.

But seriously, if you're talking diet, you must know beer isn't going to get you there. It might even be counter-productive if you start eating less so you can booze more. Booze hounds OFTEN don't eat much, yet they're fat as hell. If you want to lose pounds, at least cut back significantly on the beer. Weight loss is gradual, if it's even close to healthy. A pound here, a pound there. After the first couple of weeks or month or so, it's slower still.

All it takes is a beers to reverse that. So either stop kidding yourself that you want to get in better shape, or do what it takes and stop talking nonsense.

There are two ways I can see around this, but both aren't either great or likely. The first, fit for a clown who thinks you can booze it up and still be on a diet, try substituting hard liquor for beer. Without high calorie mixers. This should get you toasted even faster, and though hard liquor actually does have a surprising amount of calories, it's not as bad as beer.

Second, become a super athlete. Not likely for a couch bound guy who doesn't even have the discipline to cut back on beer, eh? But people who are incredibly athletic, not just potentially but doing it and doing it hard plenty of times a week, can consume vastly more calories without turning them into fat.

However, it takes a good long while to get in such good shape that you can push your body hard enough to lose lots of weight without collapsing all the time or injuring yourself. And then it still takes the doing.

Basically, it looks like you're going to have to make some compromises, and hopefully they'll be smarter ones than trying to lose weight while still keeping on pounding the beers. Going lighter on food while boozing it up is not a smart solution, unless it's giving up total junk food, like nachos in front of the t.v. But your meals should remain healthy and adequate. If you're looking at where to cut down calories, it's in the beer and junk food snacks.