Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Psychology (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Why do i no longer have interest in video games since playing poker? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=369917)

11-02-2005 03:52 PM

Re: Why do i no longer have interest in video games since playing poker?

its a case of maturity many people i know who dont play poker have also stoped most video game play.

in recient times the games have become all the same but just a new name on the box

one thing is i forced myself to play some last week and enjoyed it again so now when i play poker for 3/4 hours and go on break i will play games for a few hours or just an hour or so. This to my suprise has made my poker better.

Its almost like resetting the mind to think outside the box
and going back to the tables later for another session I play better.

Usualy fun games like rally and gp racing are best.

wall_st 11-02-2005 08:40 PM

Re: Why do i no longer have interest in video games since playing poke

I have noticed the same thing since I started playing quite a bit. Whenever I start playing video games, I think that I should be playing pokre instead and making money.

smoore 11-02-2005 10:52 PM

fragging someone is fun, stacking someone is FUNNERER!

11-03-2005 01:33 AM

dude try AOE 3 its so much better than aoe 2.

I still play pc games. I like to play something fast paced like battlefield 2 so i can highten my senses before a poker session and kind of condition my brain. Also helps to wake me up. Also games are a good way to take out any bad beat frustrations, or to clear your mind after some losing sessions.

JKratzer 11-03-2005 03:20 AM

I still play video games, but usually as a social thing b/c my roommates play also. I bought Madden 2006 and it cost like $50. I commented to my friend who was with me that the actual cost was a couple thousand dollars due to the time I spend playing that game instead of poker.

KaneKungFu123 11-03-2005 03:41 AM

i only played video games when i was younger 10-13. what a complete waste of time. whatever happened to virtual reality games? wasnt that the wave of the future?

11-03-2005 05:30 AM

wait till you get a load of civ 4, youll eat your words!

Harv72b 11-05-2005 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
wait till you get a load of civ 4, youll eat your words!

[/ QUOTE ]

I figured someone would've beat me to this. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I was never a hardcore gamer, but I was an NFL fanatic...I followed all the news from every team in the league, played in multiple fantasy leagues, even did some writing work for a fantasy football website. As soon as I discovered poker, fantasy football went out the window. A couple years ago at this point I could've quoted you every offensive player who scored a touchdown last weekend. Now, I couldn't even tell you most teams' records.

11-05-2005 02:43 AM

gaming is -EV
poker is +EV

That's why. I've noticed I've stopped following sports as much as I used to and am not playing as many videogames as I used to either.

Alex/Mugaaz 11-05-2005 03:54 AM

It's a combo of less time, less desire to compete, and realizing that time I play gaming is costing me money.